Bugs Build along

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

agingcrossbower

Bugs Build along

Post by agingcrossbower »

Here is the pic of the blank that Bugs pick. 2and one sixteenth x 8.50x 31.50 Its is Black Walnut with a slow wavy grain with a slight tiger strip. She pic a bueaty.Thickness I would have like about 2.25 but that can be worked on. So, first pic;

agingcrossbower

Re: Bugs Build along

My moisture meter from sitting lost its reading ability but if its correct it is to dry for my liking. When I cut the rail out I will know if the wood snaps tight on my blade. I will not post the words I use when that happens. :oops: So the blank is straight and square next is cut the rail out and I will take pics. Let me know if I am explaining to death or if this is good. :wink:
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Good so far.
Use as many words as you like.
1 picture is worth a thousand words, or so I'm told.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
agingcrossbower

OH, and Scott, NO I am not done yet. :lol: :lol: :lol: One of the few times I kept ahead of him. :D
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Looks like a good block of black walnut, did it come from missouri ? I have some realy big walnut's on my property :wink: and please explain away :) I want to know all the details .

Dave :D
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Rip it up buddy! :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

more, more, more :wink: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
agingcrossbower

At a glance I thought she was straight BUT after a closer look and not so. I cut a kerf to see if the wood was squirrel meaning it wanted to move yet and Wa La it stayed straight which is a God sent. Here is a pic;

So now I have to get both of the largest surfaces flat and parrallel to each other. You do that with a planer. Yes its costs.First I put a wavy chaulk mark on the surlface to see if its good after a run through. Here is a before and after pic.

One side good now the other side;

Now that both large surfaces are parallel and flat you a have to do the edges. Thats done with a jointer. Yes, thank God I was a carpenter. Bought this new in 1975.

Next you go to the table saw and put the jointed edge to the fence and saw a parallel cut and leave as much wood as possible. Then back to the jointer to make one pass on the freshly sawn edge. Now you have a very straight blank and you need that because all other cuts and measurements depend on it.
You sure you want me to be THIS detailed? Did you notice the high price shop tools already used. I'd say around 3500.00 dollars worth. I never could make what I want without but you understand why I have to charge what I do. Wish I could give them all alway but thats not in the cards. If Don would have been three feet taller maybe. :lol: :lol: :lol: When you get to know him he is so pickable. :D All in fun for sure.
agingcrossbower

I knew this one being made for a woman would be stubborn but the stubborn ones turn out the best. :)
The blank is a little thin at just shy of two inches so we'll put an add on for the wood along the rail. An old carpenters saying when I was young was, a good carpenter can always cover up his mistakes. Meaning everyone can screw up but the good ones can hide it like it never happened. I am having to much fun. :wink:
WalknTall

Post by WalknTall »

I love following this build!

Thanks!

W
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much", John Wayne
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

agingcrossbower wrote:I knew this one being made for a woman would be stubborn but the stubborn ones turn out the best. :)
The blank is a little thin at just shy of two inches so we'll put an add on for the wood along the rail. An old carpenters saying when I was young was, a good carpenter can always cover up his mistakes. Meaning everyone can screw up but the good ones can hide it like it never happened. I am having to much fun. :wink:
I always figured if i can please myself it should please anyone because i was always the picky one....never liked to hear a carpenter say awe just calk it or i cant see it from my house ...I was lucky enough to work with some of the best (older)guys in the field.I cant wait to pick up on as much as i can on this build...detail with as much detail as you can :wink:
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

This is always interesting to watch. I am like a kid, just can't wait to see the project nearing the finish stage to be able to see the grain of the wood pop out. I love that stage. Don't get wrong all the stages are very interesting.
Thanks,
Raymond
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

i don,t understand all you are doing but it,s very interesting..plenty of detail and pictures please..i,m going to show it to my son in law as you progress, he,s a cabinet builder and carpenter so i know he will enjoy seeing..when he visits i,m gonna show him this
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Its nice to follow along and see a pro do his work. Looking forward to seeing more Mike! thats going to be a sweet looking stock for sure.
Last edited by one shot scott on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Blood on the floor

Post by Blood on the floor »

Delete - that`s a poor Christmas story
Last edited by Blood on the floor on Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark 10 :13