Bugs Build along

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Re: Bugs Build along

Post by Raymond »

agingcrossbower wrote:
GaryM wrote:That stock is going to be beautiful. Look at the fiddleback showing in the second pic. I also like your adjustable fence on your drill press. Where did you get it? Are they still available today? Gary
Yes Gary, that fiddleback just hinted at being there and now its blossomed out a little. Warms my heart to see it growing. Its like Christmas with every layer I remove. So much fun. :D
Hey guys is it something that I can't see, where the heck is the fiddle back? Please help me see it. I sure love the grain that is showing through and cannot wait to see the grain pop once the finish starts going on. It sure is going to be a beautiful stock when it is finished for that lucky lady.
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey agingcrossbower, what will this stock weigh approximately when it is finished before mounting anything to it?
Thanks,
Raymond
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Raymond wrote:Hey agingcrossbower, what will this stock weigh approximately when it is finished before mounting anything to it?
Thanks,
Raymond
When its done I will weigh and show the results. They usually are so close to the plastic that it does not matter. It will be a few ounces heavier. Black walnut is a lighter choice for stocks. Seriously its a light stock. I have a lot to take off yet.
Ray, check the second pic from the top on the last group of pics. The lines are up and down right where a lefties cheek would rest for a shot. They are very light lines but Gary spotted them and with luck the finish will make them JUMP to life. So much fun. :D
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Thanks Mike, I see it now. It is going to look awesome once it is done.
Thanks,
Raymond
buckdeer

Post by buckdeer »

Hi Bugs, I am very glad you are taking the time to show all of us your skills and craftsmanship. great job
KILL SWIFTLY & APPOLOGIZE TO NO ONE
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Looking good! Sorry about your finger. You don't want a hand ending up like mine! LOL (For those that havn't met me, I am missing a few fingers)
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

buckdeer wrote:Hi Bugs, I am very glad you are taking the time to show all of us your skills and craftsmanship. great job
Bugs is the customer, Mike (agingcrossbower) is the official Excalibur forum stockmaker. Gary
agingcrossbower

Let me say Gary and thanks for the compliment, that I am one of many talented people on this forum and certianly not the only excalibur stockmaker here. Again Gary thanks for the compliment. :oops:
Maybe, UNofficial excalibur stockmaker. :wink: That apple's just to sweet not to take a bite out of. 8) :lol:
agingcrossbower

Here is a pic of the zebra wood Tara picked for the fore end grip. WILD!

The stock now weighs 2and 5/10th's pounds. The excalibur plastic weighs 1and 9/10 pounds. Need to find a good pound on it and there is plenty to take off. :)
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

LOOKING----GREAT, Mike keep the pic,s. comeing i am really enjoying it

Thanks again for doing it :wink:

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
agingcrossbower

The Stitches are OUT!!! Looks like crap but now it will heal faster. Here is what I have been doing I slowly take down and fit from one end to the other. Usually work on one spot until I get dead ended and then switch to another. The grip is the hardest and the most interesting slow I pick away at it till I like it. Tara picked the hardest style with the finger grip but the most interesting to do. Its mostly instinctive from here on so all I can do is show the progress. Here you go;

A person could carve in a arrowhead in that zebrawood. Been kicking that around. What do you think Tara??
agingcrossbower

Here is a pic where you can see the difference from where the grip was not touch yet and the rest thats been taken down some. Sorry about the pics not showing much but when your rasping a little at a time versus cutting thing out its hard to show.

bugs

Post by bugs »

I love the arrowhead idea :D My whole house is native, hunting and fishing decor. The zebra does look wild :lol: I was going for that touch of uniqueness and character. Glad the thumb has mended as well and I no longer have to worry about you pulling out your own stitches with your pliers :wink:
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
agingcrossbower

bugs wrote:I love the arrowhead idea :D My whole house is native, hunting and fishing decor. The zebra does look wild :lol: I was going for that touch of uniqueness and character. Glad the thumb has mended as well and I no longer have to worry about you pulling out your own stitches with your pliers :wink:
OK Tara,I will make a broadhead on the zebrawood. By the way I took my own stitches out. Its not rocket scientist. Just snip and pull on the end with the knot on it and keep everything clean. Same as taking a sliver out. Stitches and slivers are just foreign objects that your body wants taken out. Maybe I should have had a stitch along thread. :lol: :lol: :lol:
bugs

Post by bugs »

I had a feeling as I typed you took your stitches out :lol: Never done my own but done a lot of cats so it is bound to be much easier
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol: