Bugs Build along

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

agingcrossbower

Re: Bugs Build along

Post by agingcrossbower »

Had the tv watch me and had some energy after so, back at it. Next the rail. I like to use an 1.25 forstner bit to drill out at the back of the rail.

I try to get the bit and the blank as parrallel as I can and with that little box you see on the bit you and set the degree vertical it is and then you can set the blank exactly the same and there you go parallel. Love that tool.
Next pic show the two holes being drilled.

This is a look down the edge after its done. NOTICE the blank developed a bow to it. That wood just was'nt happy.
I straightened it out fairly close. Sissy blank. Its got charactor.I like that. Just so it does'nt make a habit of that. :wink:

Sorry about the shaky pic. Must be the coffee. :shock:
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Very nice ! As a retired carpenter myself , i could no help but notice the hammer in the one picture :lol: I admire old tools they all have a story to them. :roll: I am enjoying the follow along keep the pics. comeing .

Thank's

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Man this is always an interesting build along. Thanks Mike for sharing with us. Tara you are going to have one awesome wooden stock for your crossbow.
Raymond
agingcrossbower

papa bear1 wrote:Very nice ! As a retired carpenter myself , i could no help but notice the hammer in the one picture :lol: I admire old tools they all have a story to them. :roll: I am enjoying the follow along keep the pics. comeing .

Thank's

Dave :)
Dave;
Your right, that hammer is real old. I found it in the house I was born and live in today inside a wall when I was remodeling it. The house was built in 1938 and thats the condition it was in when I found it so it might have another 30 or 40 years of work in it. Its real old. :shock:
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Looking good
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

I too have a hamer like that.
It was left at the farm my parents bought in 59.
There were many tools including a blacksmith forge and other old tools.
At one time a previous owner used horses to work the land as part of the barn was a stable at one time. When I think about it, I sometimes wish I still lived there.
Would have bought it when mum went to sell it but I was inbetween jobs at the time and the future was a little shaky for me.
I had to rehandle the hammer but there is no reason for it to outlast me and at least another owner or two. I keep it because it was my dad's favourite!!
It's lighter in weight than most modern models and I use it for finish or trim work around the house and shop.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
NCXbowHuntr

Post by NCXbowHuntr »

Mike, How about adding some method to the madness I.E. details as to the placement of the holes, what measurements you are using off the bow and so forth. Even if it as simple as tracing show us a pic of the placement on blank for the tracing.

Sorry to be so pushy but this is a project i am planning for off season, thumbhole variant for the axiom.
Tony K.
Formerly known as "New2Xbow"
http://www.NCGunRights.com
"Gun Laws Only Limit the Law Abiding!"

Axiom SMF
Lumenok Firebolts
X-Act Broadheads
agingcrossbower

NCXbowHuntr wrote:Mike, How about adding some method to the madness I.E. details as to the placement of the holes, what measurements you are using off the bow and so forth. Even if it as simple as tracing show us a pic of the placement on blank for the tracing.

Sorry to be so pushy but this is a project i am planning for off season, thumbhole variant for the axiom.
What you see is what you get. Thanks for looking. :)
ottawacats

Post by ottawacats »

Very nice build cant wait to see more of it.

Matt
agingcrossbower

OK, next we have to cut out the rail. It all hinges on the rear end of the rail. The rear end of the rail is constant. So, here is a pic with the rear end marked and because pencil shows up for crap with these eyes I use chalk to guide me to the pencil mark

Next the blade of the saw is set at two and three eight and it is 90 degrees off the table. A mark using the framing square is layed out so when you push the blank through you can stop exactly where the rear end rail stops. Here's a pic

Here is another pic of the two lines that you use.

Now you just cut numorous cuts until you have all the wood out and its 1.25 inches wide.

FER STAY! probablily butchered that word but in German it means "understand.
Hope I am not just making things worse by doing this. Aging
agingcrossbower

Now that the rail is sawed out, the sides can be cut out.

This is what is should look like. All that has to be worked out of there and make the rail fit snug. Works best to take the stock and trigger mechanism off the rail to fit.

That long board with the handles on it works fairly well.
agingcrossbower

Cutting out the rail pocket is the job I would sub out if I could. ITS BORING! Well it has to be done so here is a tool that I love to use to get the back rail corners cleaned out. SWEET!

Getting those back corners squared off and straight down made easy with that 90 degree carving tool. A 1.50 and 1.00 inch long handled chisel also comes in handy.
masboy

Post by masboy »

Nice job !! I enjoy watching your fine work!
agingcrossbower

Hey, glad you like watching. I'm taking lots of pics. Will be a happy camper once I can get the shaping the stock instead of cutting this rail in. Whey Whey Whey :lol:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Great stuff! Love the "along" threads - wonderful to watch the process!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.