Wondering

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Re: Wondering

Post by vixenmaster »

Stock don't got nutten to do with yer draw weight its all in the rail! Get a crankaroo
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

That is a interesting question and its the rail you need to shorten. Its metal so who on here wants to tackle it. I would think the rear end would be the one to cut and then you'd have to relocate the trigger mechanism holes. Anyone out there that deals with metal cuz if you can't saw it nail it screw it or glue it I'm done. Great idea anyone??
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

What if you shorten the rail? What would happen then? I know the best answer is the crank-a-roo, but it just makes me think about that.
Thanks,
Raymond
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Excal model 101, buy a E'cet rail then the phoenix rail then the vixen rail. T-hole follow suite
Half Bubble Off BD360

strum

Post by strum »

I talked with Mr Miller about this a while back..
You would need to take the rail to a machine shop to do it if you dont have a milling machine in your garage. but i think he said if you cut it back so that the riser mount hole closest to the trigger becomes the front one and you drill a new one you end up with a pheonix. sounded like more effort than i cared to do ..but he did offer to swap rails with me..i was tempted. but i didnt. :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

We will all become rickety, just some sooner than others.

My feeling is that at that point in time, an inch difference in draw length will not help you.

I am not going to mess with the geometry of my bow.
I will unfortunately resort to using the crankaroo.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

You would need a rail from an Ibex.
I shoot a Phoenix (175) and it is a great weight for pretty much anything from rabbits to moose.
Tenpoint Matrix
wabi

Post by wabi »

One advantage to an Excalibur is it's great resale value.
You could probably sell your old bow without much of a loss and just use the funds to buy another model.
I've done that a couple times over the years without loosing too much money to get a new model.
wabi
Dash

Post by Dash »

Hi Hank,
Shortening the rail can be done, but its difficult to not have it look like a butchers job without the right tools. Plus damaging the realtree skin...

A crankaroo would keep your beast the same, and may be the best option.

But theres another option you have that will make the bow feel lighter to draw, by reducing the height of the draw length during cocking.
The 225lbs draw weight is only half the difficulty when drawing the bow. The main issue is the height you have to pull the cocking handles to.
Remove the fixed stirrop. A different stirrop can be mounted of the quiver mount point. It can hang just 1/2 inch lower than the disapator bars. This gives you an equivelent 2"less height when cocking the bow. It would feel way easier to cock although still having the full grunt of the equinox.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hank,
I am only 46 years old, and I have to use the crank-a-roo. And yes it is a little bit slower to cock your bow compared to the rope cocking. But believe me it is real easy to use and I am really pleased to be able to use my crossbow.
Raymond
Boo

Post by Boo »

Then there's a flat riser! Twenty-five pounds and ten ft/sec.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

If'en you get that old & rickety just build a catapult & lob boulders at deer til you hit one then tag it :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Naw they don't bite, just make sure the pawl is set. It will click abit as you crank it, reminds me of the single action flyreel
Half Bubble Off BD360

Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Hank, why not just switch to a 150 or 175 lb draw bow and pass your beast on to a child, grand child, neice, nephew, etc. :wink: Let the kids continue to make more memories with your old "beast". :wink: I'm sure it will be much appreciated by them and you'll relish the stories that they tell you of their adventures with your bow. :D
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Blood on the floor

Post by Blood on the floor »

Just the other day somone wrote
" tie the cocking rope in a loop, put it over the back of your neck, then use your back instead of your arms to cock the bow.
mark 10 :13