S5=Less noise

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Louvp

S5=Less noise

Post by Louvp »

Installed my S5's today & was extremely surprised at how much of a reduction in noise there was. I just need to get the dampener for the Bolt retention clip ,that's the only real noticeable noise I can still hear.I know the bow will never be totally silent but I was amazed at the improvement by adding the S5.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
gunnutjay

Re: S5=Less noise

Post by gunnutjay »

Does anyone know how much of a reduction in dB there is with the instalation of the S5 system on a Excalibur bow?

Cheers
gunnutjay
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

gunnutjay wrote:Does anyone know how much of a reduction in dB there is with the instalation of the S5 system on a Excalibur
No I dont know how much it is in DB. I tried to find a free DB meter APP for the phone so I could measure it before & after but I couldn't find one that was free & I didn't want to pay for it to use it one time, but DB meter Apps are available.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
wabi

Post by wabi »

OK -
Let me throw out a challenge to start the new year. :lol:

NOT looking for a flame war here!!!! Just a simple test to get an opinion (or perhaps many if others want to accept the challenge, too).

The procedure for the test is simple.
Shoot the bow with the S5 installed for a few days/weeks to become accustomed to the noise level.
Then remove the S5 and shoot it for a while.

As I said, I'm not trying to start anything and have no argument against the advantages of the S5. I just want to see if anyone else gets the results I got with the old STS system. :roll: :wink: :lol:

BTW - I sold the STS after the test, so that may give a hint as to what my opinion was. I will add that I also removed the DBs from my Phoenix. :roll:
YES - both systems DO reduce perceived noise & help dampen vibration, but is the gain really all that much?

What prompted my experiment to remove the STS was when I was hunting where I normally do another hunter was in his stand about 250 yards from mine (as he often is). When legal time ends I unload my Phoenix by shooting a field point into the ground before I descend from the stand. He often hears me shoot, and he still heard the shot with the STS installed. :shock:
wabi
Dash

Post by Dash »

Noise is a hard one to gauge.
Db meters won't give an accurate measure on noticable noise to the ears. Sometimes what seems like a huge reduction in noise is only a few DB on a meter. The low frequency may not have been canceled at all, whereas the high end frequency could have been canceled up to 50% giving a very noticable difference to out hearing. I done some testing a while back with blackjack. Identical excals side by side, shots a second apart. Its really the only way to get a true gauge of difference an accesory makes.
Although I found the S5 makes a noticable difference to noise, I found whiskers make the biggest difference as a stand alone item. I was shooting side by side another guy with a pheonix and S5 about 2 weeks ago, me on the Ibex with Astro string/whiskers. He soon queried why the Ibex was still quieter than his.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Dash,
I will add that catwhiskers are the only thing I still use. For me, the whiskers are the only thing that was/is really required. The small loss in velocity is something I will trade for the benefits of less perceived noise, and the weight addition is almost non-existent.

Notice I underlined perceived. :wink:
My buddy still hears my "unload" shot most evenings, and I'll bet all three deer I've killed so far this season with the Phoenix heard the shot. A little too late once they felt the sting of the arrow going through them, though. I still believe in getting close before I shoot. :lol: :lol:
wabi
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

My sts wasn't put on for noise, If you can shoot and hit what your aiming at it's to late anyway, dead deer or what ever you were hunting, DRY FIRE INSURANCE you can't beat it.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

I didn't notice a lot of noise reduction, BUT;; i did notice a lot of shock reduction :) and they give me a little peace of mind in case of dryfire. :wink:

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
DARTONATOR

Post by DARTONATOR »

I don't know guys ! Correct me if I am wrong. But, the whiskers that you put on your string is just the same as adding the same amount of weight to your arrow. Both will slow down the string / arrow speed. I first ran into this problem while shooting a compound bow. I was shooting a bow that shot 330 Ft/sec. using light ACC'S. Made for a lot of noise. I switched to a heavier carbon arrow and the noise level went right down and my speed went to 308 Ft/sec. The speed was great and the deer just stood there watching instead of bolting.

Now with my ExoMax, the 110 grain brass insert with the 185 grain snuffer with 2 inch vanes on Firebolts (450gr total) give me a speed well over 300 Ft/sec. and a noise value that is way lower with no deer jumping out of their skins ! The arrow flies like a dart and the blows through the animal like a freight train. Getting the arrows out from the ground is sometimes a problem. Kinetic energy is right where I want it ! Slower string speed means less noise / less vibration. :D
Dash

Post by Dash »

Hi Dartonator,
Although a heavier arrow does lowers noise too, its not a case of whiskers just adding weight to stop noise. The rubber strips have a big dampening effect on the shock created by the bow string/limbs. Even using a slightly heavier arrow, whiskers will still make an obvious difference to your setup at very litlle FPS difference.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Dartonator- the whiskers are served near the end loops at the outside of the string. The whiskers in this location does not travel far and will have little bearing regarding speed loss. If you serve them to the center or closer to the center serving then the whisker weight mass will have a somewhat more bearing on speed loss, just as you mention by adding more weight to an arrow.
So, the location of the added whiskers will determine speed loss.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

My brother-in-law has the axiom smf I have the alum. axiom . His was quiter than mine until I installed the S5 .But the biggest advantage is when shooting off sticks I can watch My arrow thru the scope all the way to the target. With out them I would sometimes recoil and lose the flight .That would make me want to [peek] over the scope .Bad Habit! Now I love watching the arrow go right thru the ribs under 2.5 power. This is one extra I like.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
toytruck

Post by toytruck »

papa bear1 wrote:I didn't notice a lot of noise reduction, BUT;; i did notice a lot of shock reduction :) and they give me a little peace of mind in case of dryfire. :wink:

Dave :)
same here
Life may change us, but we begin and end with family.
White's and TC Renegade
2010 Ibex