Feeding winter wildlife

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbhntr

Feeding winter wildlife

Post by xbhntr »

I reside on a 1 acre lot. My neighbours ( farmers ) let me hunt on their 145 acres (35 bush ) . Last spring . I decided to feed the wildlife. Spreading cracked corn down the fence and leaving the bucket drew in after dark deer. Seeing the tracks, i put up my trail camera. During the day , turkeys came to the free meal .As the weeks past, the deer and turkeys started to eat my ceaders on the front lawn. Their wandering near the highway made me stopped feeding them ! I'd like to show you the great deer and turkey pics, but I don't know how to transfer them to this site. Ray
EJ45

Re: Feeding winter wildlife

Post by EJ45 »

Here in Texas, seems everyone has a feeder going. I just got 2 feeders going on 40 acres we just bought. It doesnt take long for the animals to figure out a free meal can be had. I think I enjoy the game cam pics I get almost as much as I enjoy hunting.
Matrix 355
bugs

Post by bugs »

That would make sense for the deer to eat branches and leaves since they do that in the wild and just after winter they naturally lack crops in the field. There is a sticky on this forum about posting pics. You have to load them onto a site called photobucket. You can just load them from a folder on your computer with the click of a button then you just copy and paste the URL into your post here. The URL will clearly show up under each picture (and it will start with URL) on that site once you load them
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Is it safe to feed deer feed such as cracked corn during the winter months or would it be better to let them browse and eat what they normally eat during the winter?
Thanks,
Raymond
bugs

Post by bugs »

Raymond wrote:Is it safe to feed deer feed such as cracked corn during the winter months or would it be better to let them browse and eat what they normally eat during the winter?
Thanks,
Raymond
It isnt a good idea but I got confused when I read it the first time. The post says he fed them in the spring. I think the subject was mean to say wildlife coming out of winter.
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

I meant " early Spring " , a foot and more of snow . Probably In Februrary . I check the pics. Still can't post. I can forward them to someone who has the skills . Thanks Ray
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

Just check , it was January 27 / 2011 . I stopped feeding because cracked corn is hard on their digestive system and they were wandering near the Highway.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I thought it was hard on their digestive system. I seen it on a show this morning, The Canadian Tradition. I like his show, he has Excalibur as a sponsor. Whatever happened to Canada in the Rough? Excalibur used to be one their sponsors. What happened with the sponsorship of Excalibur for Canada in the Rough?
Raymond