Found my first Shed of the year

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RyanB

Found my first Shed of the year

Post by RyanB »

Found my first shed of the season here in Southern Ontario in about the strangest way ever! I am having my 14 acres logged right now and was back in the bush this afternoon (its mostly hard maple with some cedars but is mainly just a transition/coridor bush).

Anyway, at 4PM this afternoon I thought I would go back to the very back to see how the guys were making out...watched them cut down the one and only Black Cherry that was being taken and then started to walk up to the landing where they were putting the logs with the skidder. We got about 30 yards from where they hooked onto the log and something unusual cought my eye on the skidders tire as it was making its way thru the bush! At the same time I saw it, so did the operator and he slammed on the brakes. Here if it wasn't a shed antler. It had been run over by the 12ton skidder's 16ply tire and one tine punctured its self into the tire. It broke about 3/4" of the tip off but was amazed that it break in half. Luckly the tire is still holding air and we don't think it punctured all the way thru.

This antler was about the craziest I have seen. Its absolutly huge and its only from a 6pointer! Mass at the base is huge and at the G2 its almost looking like its palmating. I have pictures from this deer in 2009 and it was a typical 8pt with very tall G2's. Last year I saw him only in mid september and he was an even bigger 8pt with longer g1's.

I am thinking of actually going to cut a slab off the cherry log they were dragging when the skidder ran over it and mounting the shed to it...thought it would make for a cool looking plaque reminding me of how we found it and also when the bush was logged.

Anyway, here is a pic of the shed and I have attached a picture of how he was in 2009. He is deffinatly going backwards it looks and hopefully he will still be kicking around next year!

ImageImage
RyanB

Re: Found my first Shed of the year

Post by RyanB »

for some reason the 2009 picture didn't show up...here it is

taz3

Post by taz3 »

That's a cool find and story of how it all came about.
My Dad and I were out on Sunday, checking out some deer country, in hopes of finding some sheds, or even a deer sighting. We found plenty of fresh tracks, with a set from a young pair of white tails, that we must have just missed, but no sheds.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great pics and a cool story. The plaque sounds like a great idea. Post a pic of that for us when you're done. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

j.krug wrote:Great pics and a cool story. The plaque sounds like a great idea. Post a pic of that for us when you're done. :)
What were you feeding the deer? I can see there is a pile of something on the ground but I cannot make out what it was.
Thanks,
Raymond
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

I believe that was just whole corn.
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Why do you think that is from that deer?
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

FredBear wrote:Why do you think that is from that deer?
The fall that i was getting him on the camera I noticed that his right rear outside C in his hoof was deformed and is clearly visable on his tracks in dirt. He seems to follow one certain trail when transitioning thru my property that no other deer follow. Luckly yesterday when the shed was found, the snow was minimal and melting and we could clearly make out the track from him. I was amazed he was only a 6pt or at least only had 3 points on this side of the rack this year...hopefully he sticks around or makes it thru the winter. I believe he is at least a 6 year old now as he was a very big boddied deer the year I got the pics from him