Gun Registry

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bones

Re: Gun Registry

Post by Bones »

I have friends out west and in the territories, their comments have been the same. They laugh at it and say that's a southern Ontario problem.They never registered a gun in their live's, ( long gun ). The registry is dieing.,We all will know when it is completly dead. I have one of my 11 gun's that was never registered, only because it has no serial numbers it was the first "real" shotgun my dad gave me when I was a kid. It;s a 20 ga. pump with a poly choke have'nt shot it in 20 years a keep sake.No evidense to support a reduced crime rate with the bill that stand's now. R.I.P long gun registry.
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

sumner4991 wrote:Hey Ben . . .guess what, I decided not to increase my income . . .it's a LOT easier to live off the government.

I'm considering the opportunities there in Canada. Looks like a lot of free checks up there . . .see ya soon.
Ignorance is bliss..

That being said. You'd be more than welcome to come to our beautiful country, create or get yourself some employment, contribute to society, stop bitching and whining about paying taxes, realise that it's for the greater good of your family, friends and close one and if you fall on hard time, we ALL will help you out.
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

taz3 wrote:The whole registry is/was nothing shy of cash grab, I served in the Canadian armed forces, in our infantry division with excellent weapons training, yet it has no value what so ever toward owning a hunting rifle. Gun safety is all the same for all guns and our Military took it very serious, and far beyond what most civilians ever do to disarm a rifle after a hunt. :x If I can hold a rifle to defend my country, I should be entitled to hold one to feed myself too.

You could probably count on one hand how many crimes were committed by hunting rifles/shot guns, and I'd be surprised to find out any of them were by the owners. 99% of criminal shootings up here are with illegal hand guns, so why don't they pass a more useful law, requiring criminals to register their illegal weapons. :roll:

I certainly agree that, hunting courses and safe gun training, is an excellent idea for anyone to poses a gun, but there no benefit to rounding up the hunters and for a registry, thinking it will make the streets safer. :shock:
1st off Taz3 - Thank you for serving in our military. How long were you in for?

I agree with you that your military training in regards to firearm should have allowed you to be issued a PAL license. I am not 100% sure, but I believe that police officers may be issued a PAL license, for the simple fact that they are required to be in the possession of a firearm amongst the general public Vs your service in combat situation.

Nonetheless, your training FAR supersedes the Canadian Firearm Safety course as it's a complete joke IMO. 7hrs of PowerPoint presentation, a 200 page book, a 50 multiple choice answer exam and a 10mins practical exam...c'mon now! I can guarantee you that if they made it just a little harder, a lot of the folks who attend would not pass. They need to improve it by quite a bit. Same goes for the Hunters class…yikes! I can’t believe that ppl are allowed to go hunting with zero experience other that than course, if anything for their own safety, let alone the safety of others.

Have you thought of taking both courses? It'll be a heck of a walk in the park for you, especially the CFSC! You’ll be able to own as many long gun as you wish after, no questions asked. It’s only a question of time before the 3rd reading and then off to the Senate. Patience grasshopper, patience!

Interesting fact that I'm sure a lot of you folks do not know-> Hunting in our province of Québec is recognise in our legislation as a Right & part of our heritage.

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I would be willing to bet that there will be a provincial registry of some form manifesting out of this.
The people who initiated this registry in the first place are a well oiled and well funded machine, and although it is being dealt with on a federal level, I fear there will be more to come provincially.
I also think Ontario and Quebec will be the first to put something new in place, they are the heaviest regulated and contain the most sheep who need to be hand fed to feel like they exist.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

CanuckBen wrote: realise that it's for the greater good of your family, friends and close one and if you fall on hard time, we ALL will help you out.
Where is the ignorance, Ben?

For generations upon generations, my family has taken care of themselves. Farmers are a hard working group that typically need help from no one. They know how to take care of themselves just fine.

It's the city folks that tend to need the help. City folks do not know their neighbors, much less are they willing to take care of each other.

City folks need police stations, fire stations . . .all the entitlements.

Governments would be great if they were efficient and honest. Unfortunately, they are not.

I'm not whinning and complaining . . .just stating the facts. I pay my share of taxes. However, workng in the mortgage indusrty for several years has shown me that a large percentage of people do not pay. They don't pay at all, not a dime.

Government is too big to control. Some will argue that it's out of control. This registry is just a small example of it.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TPM

Post by TPM »

Pydpiper wrote:I would be willing to bet that there will be a provincial registry of some form manifesting out of this.
The people who initiated this registry in the first place are a well oiled and well funded machine, and although it is being dealt with on a federal level, I fear there will be more to come provincially.
I also think Ontario and Quebec will be the first to put something new in place, they are the heaviest regulated and contain the most sheep who need to be hand fed to feel like they exist.
Ontario has already expressed interest in this but I highly doubt it's going to happen anytime soon. Our current Provincial Government is already WAY over their heads in terms of spending. Their under serious pressure to cut costs right now. Any new costly programs or even the proposal of them in the next few years, especially something as controversial as this, would be political suicide. They're having enough trouble explaining to the opposition and the general public how they're going to pay for what they've already promised. Something may come of it in the long term but in my opinion that's a long way down the road.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
TPM

Post by TPM »

I can guarantee you that if they made it just a little harder, a lot of the folks who attend would not pass.
I'm curious. What aspect of firearm safety is not covered by the current course? What do you propose they do to make it harder?

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

As for registering my firearms to another gun registry, it will never happen.
Raymond
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

sumner4991 wrote:
CanuckBen wrote: realise that it's for the greater good of your family, friends and close one and if you fall on hard time, we ALL will help you out.
Where is the ignorance, Ben?

For generations upon generations, my family has taken care of themselves. Farmers are a hard working group that typically need help from no one. They know how to take care of themselves just fine.

It's the city folks that tend to need the help. City folks do not know their neighbors, much less are they willing to take care of each other.

City folks need police stations, fire stations . . .all the entitlements.

Governments would be great if they were efficient and honest. Unfortunately, they are not.

I'm not whinning and complaining . . .just stating the facts. I pay my share of taxes. However, workng in the mortgage indusrty for several years has shown me that a large percentage of people do not pay. They don't pay at all, not a dime.

Government is too big to control. Some will argue that it's out of control. This registry is just a small example of it.
The ignorance is in what you have shown on different occasions regarding events and situations happening outside of your own county, state and / or country.

Your previous comments implied that Canada will handfed anyone who comes here, to live off the ppl (though you said government, but the gvt is the ppl, as we elected it, but that's a different way of seeing it of course) without having to put out anything first. So yes, ignorance is bliss.

I fully agree with you that those in the farming community are all hard working folks. What if I tell you that my family is also from a farming community and background, that the land the family owns dates back over 130 years from today? Would that change anything? Probably not, it’s still up in Canada so it wouldn’t count hey.

I guess then that you’ve informed all of the police forces (county, state or else) and fire station to NEVER respond to any calls from your house or any of your family’s house. I mean, you don’t need them at all. Ever. Right…

There are major differences between your mortgage world and ours. There is no one else to blame but you folks and the unregulated laws of lending folks 3x over what they ever would have been able to pay back. It sure came back to bite you all in the arse didn't it.

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Scott, you should spend a few minutes reading up on Quebec so you have a better idea of who you are debating with. Keeping in mind that government is so high on it's self and it's ability to "rule" over it's people, even went as far as to try to separate it's self from this country.
There are people who like to be governed, there are people who need to be governed, I for one will never understand it. And for what it is worth, the days of the government "being the people" are long over, they are there for themselves and absolutely nobody else, if people would just see that we could make real change, however, there will always be voters who thing the government is just an entity to replace your parents when you grow up.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

Raymond wrote:As for registering my firearms to another gun registry, it will never happen.
Raymond
Raymond - I doubt that Nova Scotia will put a new long-gun registry together. The provincial Quebec gvt wants too and what a complete waist of money that will be. The Liberals are playing it as a political card again, eventhough there is a lot of hunters in Qc who will place their vote elsewhere just on that political platform point alone.

Not sure about Ontario. Both have much bigger fish to fry.

Problem is, the current percentage of households which have firearms registered is what, 5 or 7%? The impact is much small that we think it can be, unfortunately.

CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

Pydpiper wrote:Keeping in mind that government is so high on it's self and it's ability to "rule" over it's people, even went as far as to try to separate it's self from this country.
Just to clariry - that was not from the current political party in charge of Québec. The last referendum was in 1995 (previous one in 1980), with the Parti Québec in charge.

TPM

Post by TPM »

there will always be voters who thing the government is just an entity to replace your parents when you grow up.
That's a great line! :D Sadly, it's true....

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

My point wasn't about who did it, my point was about how it impacted the population and how they view their mighty ruler. It also had an impact on the rest of Canada and how we view that type of dictatorship. While it angered a decent part of our population it also made for some very dependant people.
Governments are not there to benefit us, it is just a business, and like any business the main concern is the bottom line, not necessarily the route taken to get there.
Me, I would like to see all the politicians thrown in a hole. They by absolutely no means represent me our my interests. A sad but true reality.
Relying on a government is an absolute way to lose every bit of freedom you have.
The registry isn't about lives, it is about money, we all know that. But there is a huge part of the population that thinks it is there to keep us safe from each other, bizarre stuff. It was created to get votes, thus leading to more money, it is being destroyed to create votes (worked for me!). All these political BS things they keep doing are not for the benefit of the populations, they are simply long, drawn out commercials for their businesses that we are all forced to fund.
CanuckBen wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:Keeping in mind that government is so high on it's self and it's ability to "rule" over it's people, even went as far as to try to separate it's self from this country.
Just to clariry - that was not from the current political party in charge of Québec. The last referendum was in 1995 (previous one in 1980), with the Parti Québec in charge.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

David . . .The only people I know that defend government to this extreme are usually government employees(and their families) or government contractors. I didn't realize that there is a cult out there that actually likes being dependent upon the government.

Ben . . .call me ignornat? OK. However, in the past 100 years my family has called upon the government twice that I am aware. Once when theives tried to take some gasoline from the pump at the barn. The police arrived in time to search for the guys after my uncle shot at them with a shotgun loaded with buckshot(local doctor told my Grandfather he removed buckshot from a guy's leg the next day). We have had absolutely no trouble from theives again, apparently the word spread. Second occasion, my uncle's house caught on fire . . .firefighters got there in time to put out the flames after the house was totalled. Uncle built the house back, all is good. No welfare, food stamps . . .or any other entitlements that I am aware. No courthouses. I do not fear the demons in which governments promote.

Government does have a purpose. But, it should not be this far reaching. It should not be so expensive. I do not mind supporting the government with my money. I just do not like all the items the government considers a "need". Nor do I like all the crooks and the waste.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen