It took 14 sets but coyote down

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fratri

It took 14 sets but coyote down

Post by fratri »

Well it took about 14 sets since the holidays since I have seen a coyote but today it came back together. With a little time today after work I headed out for a quick hunt. I got to the farm about 4:45 pm, chatted with the farmer for a few minutes and out I went. I set up along a tree/bush line watching the northern bush lot. The wind was coming from the North West blowing across the side of my face. I figure everything behind and to my right was going to be dead, nothing would show from there so I would concentrate on the bush up ahead of me. I set up my ecaller/decoy about 30 yds out from me and got settled in. I started off with a dying rabbit and quickly had to go to my hand calls as the ecaller was giving me trouble. I rabbit distressed called for a bit 5-7 mins on and off then went with my hand howler. Almost immediately I got a response from some very distant coyotes. I called back for a bit then went silent for a few minutes in hopes of the coyote pack showing up. I started up on dying rabbit again on and off for another 5 mins with no results. I checked the time and I was on stand for over 35mins already. It was starting to get dark fast. I played with my ecaller and finally got it to start playing so I had it play coyote pup distress. A quick look at the time revealed I had about 8 mins of legal light left and was just about to pack it in when I suddenly noticed a little bump on the hill. I glassed it and sure enough it’s a coyote looking down toward the sound. I play with the ecaller and finally got it to mute. I picked up my hand squeaker and call a few soft squeaks on it and sure enough he starts moving. At first I thought he left because I lost sight of him but he just went around the big hill in the field instead of over it. When he rounded the hill I cranked up the scope on him and let him come to about 70 yds before I wolfed him to stop and hit him square on in the chest (frontal shot) and he just fell over, no exit wound. …..I have to stay it was nice to have one come in after so many dry sets. I had a great time tonight and have to stay the farmer; well he is a great guy. Enjoy the pics as it was getting dark fast.

"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
Hester0305

Re: It took 14 sets but coyote down

Post by Hester0305 »

Congrats another coyote down
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

A good yote is a dead yote...CONGRATS!! :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Normous

Post by Normous »

Nice! A few more fawns will live.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

congrats!! hope you get a bunch more :D
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

CONGRATS!WOW Frank 14 sets before one came in what up with that?mabe we need to start useing the sounds of children playing instead of rabbit in distress inlight of the resent attack in Oakville?
The best things in life are not things!!
fratri

Post by fratri »

MADMAX2 wrote:CONGRATS!WOW Frank 14 sets before one came in what up with that?mabe we need to start useing the sounds of children playing instead of rabbit in distress inlight of the resent attack in Oakville?
Funnie...:)
"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

CONGRATS! great story too! :D
In the Wind.......
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

That's a nice big dog there! Looks like your persistance paid off again. Way to go. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads