your deer feeder idea's

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bullzeye

your deer feeder idea's

Post by Bullzeye »

I figured I would start a deer feeder ideas thread and kind of continue Pappa Bears thread (http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=42059) about his Red Neck feeders. I am hoping everyone will share their ideas on proven feeders, and maybe answer my questions on a couple of ideas I have seen but yet to try.

First off I really like Pappa Bears feeder, but I have a raccoon problem and have no interest in feeding them. Has anyone tried hanging a PVC feeder like Pappa Bears so its free hanging off a branch at the height of a deers head, therefore making it real hard for a raccoon to get access to it?

Secondly, has anyone tried a bucket feeder like this??? where once again you have it suspended to where the broom stick is at a deers height.

Apparently you get the deer to push the broom stick which makes corn fall from the hole in the bucket, which condition the deer so they associate pushing the stick to food(basic Pavlov effect)
So to get the deer to move the stick in the first place you have to put something on the broom handle like peanut or something else they like so they lick the broom stick, therefore moving it and letting corn fall to the ground.

Its an interesting idea, has anyone tried this ????????
Last edited by Bullzeye on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
AndreTTOW

Re: your deer feeder idea's

Post by AndreTTOW »

I tried this exact thing. It worked...sort of.

If I were to do it again I'd use a metal bucket...cause the bear that wanted my corn ripped and chewed gaping holes into my buckets.

Yup...they work though :-)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Honourable John Gilbert "Jack" Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Well, this is new to me, and all can offer is what I've seen, which are the PVC type feeders with the Y at the bottom. How much of a problem are raccoons, with deer feed? The only way to beat the raccoons is got to be outta reach, I'm sure they'll out smart a deer if the feeder is too complicated. The design you show might be even better, with a plastic plate added at the bottom of the dowel to catch the feed to off as the deer nudge it, rather than it falling to the ground. The dowel will need to be long enough to allow the deer's head to fit comfortably to eat though.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

This is good to know Andre, I was thinking of a metal pail myself, and Taz I have trail cam pics of 8 raccoons and one porcupine eating all my corn during the night with deer standing nearby just watching, so this is why I need a raccoon proof feeder.
I really like your idea of some kind of plate at the bottom of the broom stick to catch the corn. I think by having a plate which I can initially fill with corn will attract the deer, and the deer eating from the plate should move the broom stick to make more corn fall. Excellent idea !
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I'll have to draw some pictures at work with my drawing programs to show one type that we used to use all the time. It's pretty simple to make.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Bullzeye wrote: I have trail cam pics of 8 raccoons and one porcupine eating all my corn during the night with deer standing nearby just watching, so this is why I need a raccoon proof feeder.
Or shoot some coons!!! :roll: 8) 8)
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

BullzEye ,, they actually have that exact same feeder @ wal mart for $39.95 :) And it will work great here in Missouri, Because we don't have any bears ,, So my friend, I will go to work on trying to figure out something , to come up with a redneck, :wink: Bear Proof feeder :lol: And believe me they don't come anymore redneck than ME :roll: Thanks for giving me something to do :P If i come up with something i will post a picture and P.M. you :wink:

Dave :)

P.S. My brain is already Smokeing :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh yes the coon,s are realy bad here :x
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Big58cal wrote:I'll have to draw some pictures at work with my drawing programs to show one type that we used to use all the time. It's pretty simple to make.
Looking forward to seeing your drawings. :)

Or shoot some coons!!!
I would if I lived nearby, but my little hunting spot is 1.5 hrs away. Though I did watch a video last night of two guys calling raccoons during the day. Would love to find a raccoon hand call.

Keep your ideas coming Pappa Bear, I can smell the smoke from over here. :lol: :D
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
taz3

Post by taz3 »

A good idea to attract deer and get them to activate your feeder idea, would be to use syrup and salt on the dowel that is exposed. This would also work well with the plate idea, the syrup will give off a good scent to attract them from afar too.

I haven't found any info whether deer have a preference of syrups, corn, maple, or what ever else can be used, as of yet.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

10 inch pipe and i fabbed up a bottom out of aluminum works great holds 100 lb of corn
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I haven't found any info whether deer have a preference of syrups, corn, maple, or what ever else can be used, as of yet.
I heard crunchy peanut butter works well on the broom handle, but as a syrup I would go with molasses, its liquid candy for deer.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Archer that's a nice feeder, but the coons would empty the 100 lbs of corn in no time, nothing worse than spending good money on raccoons, though I wish I could have your set up because a 100lbs would last a while which is good since I do not live close to my hunting spot.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Is there any type of feeder that the raccoon's and squirrels cannot get at? Does the squirrels and raccoon's get at the bucket with the pole?
Thanks,
Raymond
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

A hanging programable auto feeder with varmint guard works well for deer and keeps the coons from getting at the corn.

Dave
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

What about the bucket with the stick. I am out of work because of my back and I cannot afford to buy a feeder. I could make one with a bucket. Would that stop them from getting the corn?
Raymond