Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bigbrowntrout1

Post by bigbrowntrout1 »

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and have enjoyed reading the vast wealth of information on here. Thank you for your contributions! I'm excited to begin my foray into crossbows and crossbow hunting. Other than the suction cup dart crossbow from Barnett that I got as a kid (best "toy" I ever owned), I'm new to crossbows. I've always considered all forms of archery and archery hunting as more of an art, kindof akin to the fly-fishing of hunting, it takes a little more refinement and specialization, and yet it is simple and graceful (especially the recurve end of the market). I've known that I wanted an Excalibur since I heard about them for the first time. The plethora of reviews I've read have virtually all Excalibur products 5 star rated. After much research, I'm on the brink of purchasing either an Axiom or Phoenix, and customizing the Phoenix myself. I really like what I've read about the Axiom. The SMF seems to be less highly regarded then the aluminum rail, but this glass infused composite material doesn't seem to be too far off of a cousin from the fiberglass the limbs themselves are made of...but maybe I'm wrong!?? You might be tired of commenting on the virtues and vices(I know any Excalibur doesn't have any of these!) of these two bows but any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
gerald strine

Re: Newbie

Post by gerald strine »

First off welcome to the forum .
As far as the axiom not being regarded as high as the aluminum rail models in my opinion it is strictly aesthetics I do not care for the milk crate look of the rail but it preforms perfectly well and I have not herd of one unhappy owner of a composite rail bow.
This rail makes the bow more price competitive making it a very strong seller. If you feel this bow fills your needs get it you will love it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Welcome to the forum...I'd echo gerald's comments. I've heard of no complaints about teh SMF rail. Personally, I like the Al, though.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!! :D :D
Just pick the one that pleases you...you win either way!! :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

Welcome. I cant speak of the Phoenix. I bought the Axiom last year all I can say is if you go with the Axiom you wont regret it. Its an awesome shooting bow. Very accurate. The #1 tip everyone gives is don't aim at the same spot or you will be buying alot of arrows when you robinhood them. I'm sure the Phoenix is just as good, its about 1/2 a pound heavier.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
bigbrowntrout1

Post by bigbrowntrout1 »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, advice and comments! From what you've all said, I think I've pretty much got it narrowed down to the Axiom. I live in Colorado, so my plans are to mostly hunt deer and elk but eventually possibly moose or bear.
I look forward to conversing with you all!