What do you think?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Walkin

What do you think?

Post by Walkin »

Hello to all,

My name is Joaquim(hence the username); just new to this forum and crossbows. After being away from hunting for 12 years I'm really really jacked about getting back into the woods again this fall. Unfortunately, I no longer have my Ruger 270 or my trusty PSE and my finances only afford me to buy one hunting tool, so I decided to hunt using a crossbow as it combines all of what I like. I'm now the proud owner of a Relayer Y25; it is without a doubt a thing of beauty. I've yet to shoot it despite having owned it a few months now as those same finances just allow me to acquire all the necessary gear a little at a time; I've actually just ordered a dozen Laser 4 shafts and am looking forward to making up my first batch of bolts that will weight in at somewhere around 525 grains. I've hunted most of my life and enjoyed what Canada and especially Alberta has to offer above all else and that is the outdoors. This place where I live is a fantastic combination of everything from prairie that's full of life to the Rocky's that are home to the most, in my humble opinion, interesting, beautiful and regal wildlife animals in North America: wild sheep.

Anyways, after that long winded intro, I've got a question for you all so that you can perhaps tell me about your own experience. Even during all the years I hunted with the PSE I've never put an arrow into the shoulder blade or the bone+rib combination just below it. If you have, tell me what I can expect from my crossbow shooting a strong fixed broad-head such as the Montec with bolts sitting around the 500-550 grain mark. Is there enough power there to go through?
munch

Re: What do you think?

Post by munch »

welcome . where are you in Alberta .i lived near rocky mountain house a couple winters and crushed gravel north of Grand Prairie at the big suspension bridge on the peace river the summer i turned 18
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Walkin

Post by Walkin »

Howdy munch, Calgary is my home. When I was working the oil patch I spent some time around Spirit River and up north of Zama as well. I remember shooting really nice fat sharp tail up there and taking them in to the safety shack where we chowed them down........
munch

Post by munch »

i still miss off sales we don't have that here .my bank was in Spirit River ]
I worked for tridale construction out of coldale .we did spend some time in fairview in the local watering holes .it was a great time .the 2 winters where about 81- 82 i took 2 buddys out there thinking we would get on the rigs but everything headed south .i worked snow removel a few days in red deer till we ran out of money then took a job milking cows on a farm just so i did not have to come home with my tail between my legs .funny to see all the 20 something mall rats hanging out down in the local malls peeling lottery tickets and waiting for there next gst check .i guess we had a little pride back then and did not expect hand outs .things have changed . that first time i headed west i had a train ticket to moose jaw and $20 in my pocket an a promise of a job if i made it to dunvagen
i made it there with help from a lot of great albertins and walked into the job site on a sunday night .told the forman i hear they where looking for help and he put me to work on the spot 7pm to 7 am 10 days in 5 days out ,i did good that summer i had no where to go so worked my 5 out for overtime
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

If you would shoot an animal in the shoulder blade don't expect a lot of penetration. A crossbow bolt has less KE than a longer arrow shot from your PSE. I would avoid it like the plaque. I have heard of and once say my arrow bounce out of the shoulder when it hit. Avoid it.
Walkin

Post by Walkin »

Freedom.....gotta love it munch.

Wouldn't be by choice Aging that's for sure; just a thought and question I've always had is all. It's not that far away from a good hit so I can see it happening....
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

No, its a good question, don't get me wrong. Just to let you know it bothers a lot of us. Its what makes everyone practice more.
maple

Post by maple »

It's certainly not a preferred shot. Much better, as you already know, to avoid big bone.

BUT, my 485 grain broadheaded bolts go through a 1/2 " piece of plywood (once!), which I dare say is a far sight harder than any deers scapula. I wouldn't say that of bear or bigger game, 'cause I don't have much experience with them.

Ribs are no problem. In one side and out the other.

Maple
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

To answer yer ? of shoulder bones, with deer & the weight yer shooting its doable. Heavier game avoid shoot behind legs
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Y25. There are indeed a thing of beauty. Good to hear you're able to get back in the woods again. Happy and safe hunting to you. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Allan

Post by Allan »

Welcome Walkin,

I enjoyed your's and Munch's "walkin' down memory lane.

As has been stated watch out for the shoulder blade, but feel free to crack those ribs.
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

i hit a few in shoulder blade they go right down , but i shoot s hoot a heavy bolt 512 grains, but i do much prefer a lung ,liver shot
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Welcome to the forum! I have a Y-25 and shot a 1000lb cow buffalo at 20 yds w/ it, 446 gr total on arrow weight, Boo string, about 295-300 fps.

The bhead was a Slick Trick Maq, went in between two ribs and cut one in half on offside. The bhead was sticking out the off side about 3".
"Eze 18:21"
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

yes as said avoid the shoulder bone. The idea shot would be a double lung...shut the boiler room down and the deer aint going far.

Welcome to the forum
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
frisky

Post by frisky »

WELCOME :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting