Claws x 2?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hoagy

Re: Claws x 2?

Post by Hoagy »

awshucks wrote:I spent about an hour on the phone w/ Danny over this recently. His opinion is the 2" shorter string will be a b*tch to change, over stress the stringing aid.

It was an interesting conversation as he was building strings in his mind while talking to me. :mrgreen:

He called me back about 20 min later w/ more thoughts on the subject.

The long and the short of it [pun intended] is he's going to put a few "small game" strings together, and test them out.

He's offered to send me one and I'll chrony it w/ two bows and a few arrow weights and report back.
Is there any possibility that shortening the string could put undue stress on the bow or sting?
Hoagy
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Hoagy wrote:
awshucks wrote:I spent about an hour on the phone w/ Danny over this recently. His opinion is the 2" shorter string will be a b*tch to change, over stress the stringing aid.

It was an interesting conversation as he was building strings in his mind while talking to me. :mrgreen:

He called me back about 20 min later w/ more thoughts on the subject.

The long and the short of it [pun intended] is he's going to put a few "small game" strings together, and test them out.

He's offered to send me one and I'll chrony it w/ two bows and a few arrow weights and report back.
Is there any possibility that shortening the string could put undue stress on the bow or sting?
Hoagy
Ooops, just re-read my own post and looks like I left out a few things. Danny thought adding an oversize 'D' loop to a normal length string would be the better route to go. There's a couple ways to do this, I think it would be difficult to keep the loop in place on the normal string. We talked about making an endless loop w/ extra strands longer to make up the loop.

When he called back, he was into some kind of two string idea, so it will be interesting to say the least, seeing what he comes up w/.

Sorry for any confusion........... :oops:
"Eze 18:21"
Hoagy

Post by Hoagy »

velly velly intelesting. :D :D
Be carefull. Good luck, Hoagy
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

When it comes to experimenting, one should be very careful.
I'm no engineer, but while in school, I learned a little bit about the "laws of physics", and know that experiments are best done in the lab, by those who know how to apply those laws.

I suppose most folks have heard the saying: "if you play with the bull chances are you'll get the horns."
Well I've got another saying: "If you play with the string, chances are you'll feel its sting."

So my advice, don't do it.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Why not just use the limbs off a Pixel or an Apex? They are 40# and 90# bows that will interchange with the current limbs.
No screwing with strings, loops or other things that are starting to sound like a quick trip to the hospital for the shooter or a bystander.
A $1 grappler behind a fieldpoint will keep the arrow above ground, not affect POI and keep a certain level of safety.
I think I would much rather lose a $10 arrow in the grass than pull a $5 one out of a buddy.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Pydpiper wrote: I think I would much rather lose a $10 arrow in the grass than pull a $5 one out of a buddy.
Depends on the buddy and where the $5 is lodged. :shock: :lol:

I'm all for tinkering around. Sometimes things go wrong and people get hurt. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

sumner4991 wrote:
Pydpiper wrote: I think I would much rather lose a $10 arrow in the grass than pull a $5 one out of a buddy.
Depends on the buddy and where the $5 is lodged. :shock: :lol:

I'm all for tinkering around. Sometimes things go wrong and people get hurt. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. :)
I don't think anyone is tinkering with this, It looks mostly like speculation.
I think the general consensus is that it can't be done, nobody has even touched on the scope issues yet either. The scope will not adjust to the speeds that are trying to be achieved, and a rabbit/grouse sized target will require more than just luck to poke a hole in.
I'm all for experimenting too, but there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel for this project. I think it is very possible to make modifications to slow the bow down, but I don't see it being done in a way that will allow it to be worthy of hunting a small target once it is completed.
I am however looking very forward to the pictures and stories as people try. :D
I did some "experimenting" yesterday while shooting my compound, I bled pretty good and can't even hold my bow right now, and I was in control the whole time. Better yet, I recorded it all.
There was a thread about this same thing a year or so ago, lots of good minds tried to tackle the project, didn't work then either.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

1st off, it's Danny that's fooling around. Supposing he does come up w/ something, guess he's sending me an example because I'm expendable, lol.

As for the scope settings, I would think most small game shots would be w/in 20 yds or so.

The allure of just swapping strings for a few small game hunts vs buying another set of limbs is what draws me in. I would think the truly dedicated small gamers would have a dedicated low poundage bow already.

Hey, it's the off season, minds roam. :mrgreen:
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

awshucks wrote: I would think the truly dedicated small gamers would have a dedicated low poundage bow already.
Like a 60 pounder with a good red/green dot scope? LOL
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Why do I chuckle when anyone from Canada mentions Red/Green?
taz3

Post by taz3 »

awshucks wrote:Why do I chuckle when anyone from Canada mentions Red/Green?
Maybe it's this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__gfjhxdti4
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting