Installing Brass Inserts - Prep and glue used?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jcollins0001

Post by jcollins0001 »

Need to install brass inserts in new Gold Tip Bolts... What prep do I need to do and what suggested glue ?

Thanks,

Jeff :)
Morangus

Re: Installing Brass Inserts - Prep and glue used?

Post by Morangus »

No prep needed. I use locktite superglue gel and just apply the glue to the inside of the shaft all the way around and slide the insert in. Just be careful not to apply too much glue or it'll come back through the hole in the insert and screw up the threads for the tip / broadhead. I have a permanently applied broadhead as a result of this =D
Boo

Post by Boo »

When I install inserts I rough up the gluing surface of the inserts with a 3M abrasive pad and degrease with 99% methyl hydrate. Two part 24 hour metalized epoxy (JB Weld etc) is the best but there are quite a few cyanoacrylate (crazy glues) meant for inserts that will work.
Don't forget to prep your shaft as well.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
strum

Post by strum »

the other thing to think about is do you want to be able to remove them...Boo's method is permanent and so is the super glue..
i used the Bohning ferr-l-tite blue heat glue. havent had an insert come out yet but i did pull a nock with my screw in puller.no biggie i just heated it up and pushed it back in.
note: if you are shootin braodheads in a hard to remove target and use my method you WILL lost one sooner or later..so far my arrows come out of my block pretty easy.. :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Some guys who's opinions I respect a lot have sworn by gorilla wood glue sans water. That's what I'll use next time.
"Eze 18:21"
roly

Post by roly »

x2 on the Gorilla glue

Only don't ever plan on taking them out
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

prep as boo stated , i like beyond bond , its made specific for inserts , but im sure lots of stuff will work well
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

awshucks wrote:Some guys who's opinions I respect a lot have sworn by gorilla wood glue sans water. That's what I'll use next time.
Am I reading this right ...wood glue works on aluminum and carbon? Wow if so, learned something new today.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

ComfyBear wrote:
awshucks wrote:Some guys who's opinions I respect a lot have sworn by gorilla wood glue sans water. That's what I'll use next time.
Am I reading this right ...wood glue works on aluminum and carbon? Wow if so, learned something new today.
I too use the Gorilla Glue, but, only for inserts and I only use carbon arrows. It works great . . .so good, that you can forget about taking them out.

If you have your set-up the way you want it, then use a permanent type glue, otherwise, use something else.

The Gorilla Glue expands, so only use a very small amount. I don't prep anything when using the Gorilla Glue either. If you use too much or you do not get the glue on evenly, then you risk getting a "lopsided" arrow. However, it's a small risk . . .just use the glue sparingly.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Gorilla glue in front, hot melt in back...enables easy nock rotation - like when fletching my moon nocked arrows for my compound - or removal for replacing with lighted nock.
Gorilla glue expands when it sets up and can push out nock in the process. Use sparingly and tape nock down with masking tape until glue is set.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!