Help choosing the right crossbow for my needs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Snowywolf822

Help choosing the right crossbow for my needs

Post by Snowywolf822 »

I just want to say hello everyone my name is Tyler it's good to be on these forums i look forward to meeting everyone. After long years of archery and some compound crossbow use i'm finnaly coming over to Excalibur for all the right reasons. I've been shooting compound bows,long bows, and recently compound crossbows... but man that crossbow has been way to much trouble for me. I can't handle having to take it in to the shop every month it feels like to either fix a string fix the wheel mechanisms it's just way to much for me at this point :shock: . So recurve crossbows it is for me. But then thats when the curve ball was thrown at me. I've been looking really hard at 3 models of the excalibur the Axiom SMF, the Ibex SMF, and the phoenix.. Why the phoenix you ask only because it has the aluminum railing. Where i live the climate can sometimes be overly hot.Then it can sometimes snow and be quite a burden to shoot it but hey it has to be done right? That leads to the question. Would the Axiom SMF, or the Ibex SMF be able to handle you know 100 degree weather shooting or 10 degree weather shooting? I'm looking to buy a crossbow that can handle the environments and be able to fix if something goes wrong one of the reasons i'm switching to recruve :D. I don't know a lot about the Synthetic railing which is why i'm asking. Cause i need this crossbow to handle the weather. My apologies if i left any information out
bucknbill

Re: Help choosing the right crossbow for my needs

Post by bucknbill »

excals are top shelf bows no matter the model you choose..you,re gonna be happy just wait and see..the composite rails are very dependable from all that i have read from members here that have them.. you will be fine with any excal for dependability and they are as bullet proof as you can get..let us know what you get..and welcome to the forum :D
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
taz3

Post by taz3 »

There has been no complaints with SMF Xbows on the site, other than the look, they're supposed to be quite durable, and so far all have been happy with them. I own a Phoenix and do prefer the look and the aluminum rail, plus they have been field tested for a few years now too. I don't think you'd go wrong either way though, it would be preference choice IMO. :wink:

Welcome to the site, there is plenty of knowledge and helpful folks here too!
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Snowywolf822

Post by Snowywolf822 »

Thank you for the quick responses :D so if i took the SMF out into cold weather it wont freeze over on me and well give me problems? opposed to if i took the Phoenix out with me on the hunt? Cause I'm just looking for what will give me the most dependability in the kind of weather i live in. The cold weather can be a pain sometimes :cry:
Hoagy

Post by Hoagy »

Hey Tyler welcome to the forum. I had questions about my Axiom & found this post in the archives which helped me make my decision to go for it.
This was posted by LZbobcat.
hope this helps you too.
Hoagy

Excalibur’s new SMF (synthetic mainframe) is GLASS FILLED NYLON not PLASTIC. Glass filled nylon is a super high strength, durable, heat and impact resistant composite used in high grade applications such as military weapons, assault rifles, handguns, aircraft components, automotive engine components etc, the list goes on. Handgun manufacturers such as HK, Ruger, Glock, and Sprinfield Armory use glass filled nylon frames. These are guns that you can bury in raw soil for 3 years, dig them up and fire them flawlessly. Excalibur knows EXACTLY what they are doing by using this material on their crossbows because it is high grade. You can find out more about glass filled nylon on Wikipedia, or just about anywhere on the Internet. Better yet, go to Bing.com hit images and type in glass filled nylon and see for your self the vast array of weapons and components are made by this material. As for the question of heat resistance, and can you put WD-40 on it, the answer is yes. This material has a melting point over 1000 degrees and is used to make intake manifolds on automobiles so you can’t hurt this material. It won’t bend, flex, chip, warp, melt, or dent.LZbobcat

Private messageE-mail LZbobcat
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Go BIG! Get the Equinox! :mrgreen:

Seriously though, you have to consider since Excalibur is a Canadian company, they know a little about snow and cold. :wink: The SMF rail went through years of testing before being put on the market, and Excalibur wouldn't have put it on the market if it didn't meet their exacting standards. I won't worry about the rail material as far a durability.

After that, it comes down to what you're going to be hunting with it, what your physical abilities/limitations may be, and just what "looks" good to you. Don't settle for one of the models. Get what you want! Otherwise you'll never be happy with it. :wink:

You'll love the Excalibur! They're dang near bullet proof and (as many in the P.A.D. Club can attest to) pretty much idiot proof! :lol: If something happens to it, you can fix it yourself. If a particular part messes up (which is rare), the replacement you can put on yourself in a matter of minutes. Plus the warranty and the people you work with are among the best in the industry. :D
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Snowywolf822

Post by Snowywolf822 »

Wow thanks for all the responses i know i'll be happy with an excalibur crossbow my horton just wasn't cutting it. What models does everyone else have? So the SMF and the alluminum are pretty much the same in the cold weather? we have lots of cold weather which is why i ask. I mean if they pretty much will react the same in the snow and cold then why not save a few bucks get the axiom or the ibex right?
wayne

Post by wayne »

HELLO:
Before buying the wife & I excal's the axiom was in the running both times, for us it came just came down to the looks of the rail, & the scope up-grade on both of the packages we got, my old eyes did not care for the smf scope package......But I guess that don't matter now...I just had a chance to look thought the new top of the line scope that excal just came out with...now I think that new scope is on the must have list this summer...as for the cold I was more worried about the alum. getting ice on it & the arrow sticking, I put it in the deep freezer with no problem while target shooting, but I still don't know about cold hunting yet, our hunting season last year was a longjohn free zone last year :lol: :lol: :lol: Just don't think ya can go wrong as long as it's made by excal
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Snowywolf822 wrote:I mean if they pretty much will react the same in the snow and cold then why not save a few bucks get the axiom or the ibex right?
It depends upon what you're going to be hunting with it and any limitations you may have as far as which bow. As far as the rail type, either the SMF or the aluminum will do anything you want them to do and not show any adverse effects to environmental conditions. Now, I wouldn't recommend leaving either one locked up in a hot car during the summer, but normal temperature swings in the field, you won't have any issues.

Over on the left side of the page, down at the very bottom of the Support section, there's "Selecting the Right Crossbow". Check it out and see where you fit in there. :wink:

I've got an Equinox because one of these days I plan on hunting some big critters with it. But for whitetails, any of the bows will work. :wink: The 200-225 lb models are just a tad overkill for whitetails though. But hey, I'm all about the overkill!!! :twisted:

georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!!!!! :D :D :D
My advice is to get the one you WANT first...then add to your collection like i did. :mrgreen: :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Snowywolf822

Post by Snowywolf822 »

haha i'm not hunting anything bigger then a deer/ javalina in my area 8) but hey can never be to safe right :wink: ya so the SMF sounds like it would be a good to go if i take it out in the snowy weather here from all that i'm hearing. I just didn't want to go buying you know the Axiom SMF and having it fail when the Phoenix would be shooting still. Already invested in one crossbow that couldent handle the elements :cry: (sniff) But i'm sure i'm making the right choice with excalibur... But so many models to buy only enough money for one :cry: sad day i wanna buy them all :wink:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

In Excals no matter the model will handle the cold & heat. They're used hunting Muskox & in Africa & Land down Under!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
maple

Post by maple »

Hey Snowywolf,

I'd be more worried about leaving it in a hot car at 90'F than shooting it in the cold. A lot of guys here (myself included) hunt in -20'F temps with no problem. Just gotta make sure there's no water in the trigger mechanism that'll freeze when you take it outside. Simple logic.

I don't know what to recommend about the newer models of bows you're looking at because my 11 year old Exomag shoots just fine. Never needed another one, OK, except for my son.

Have fun deciding.
Snowywolf822

Post by Snowywolf822 »

Haha the decision is defiantly the hard part as of right now. I'm definatly leaning towards the Ibex if i get a SMF model and if i decide aluminum probably the Phoenix since its a little more in price range.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

If I had it to do over I'd get a 175 lb model. It's plenty big enough for anything that I would hunt with it right now, and then later on once I get to go after bigger critters, it would give me an excuse to get another. :lol:

As far as the looks of the SMF rail, I'm sure a little bit of autobody fiberglass would have that thing pretty'ed up in no time. :wink: :lol:

Also, you may want to contact Danny Miller (Excalibur US Warranty Rep) to see if he's got any of the metal rail Ibex bows left. I'm sure you could find one somewhere if you absolutely had your heart set on the aluminum rail. :D