Early spring weather = early turkey breeding?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BigKidLovesBows

Early spring weather = early turkey breeding?

Post by BigKidLovesBows »

Hey Everyone,

We are having unseasonably warm weather in my neck of the woods and I'm wondering how this will affect the wild turkey breeding cycles. Will they be breeding sooner? If so will this make them harder to hunt in April/May?

I've read that their breeding cycles are governed by day length and not temperature, so in theory it shouldn't have any effect at all. However, my intuition tells me differently.

What does your experience tell you seasoned turkey hunters?

Thanks!
Mark Rainbolt

Re: Early spring weather = early turkey breeding?

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

Hens have broken up out of the flocks and the tom's are with the hens. This will be a early breeding season and make them somewhat harder to hunt. I ahve seen it stay very cold thru much of our season in the past with making the breeding season later. Which makes it very hard to get tom's away from the hen's.
God Bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Yes it will make them harder to hunt the traditional way of using deeks and calls. But if you spot and stock or run and gun it will be good. If the breeding happens sooner there should be bachelor groups sooner.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BigKidLovesBows

Post by BigKidLovesBows »

Thanks for the responses guys.

This will give me some time to adjust my tactics before the opener. Last year was my first season turkey hunting and we decoyed and called on all of our hunts. Excal was used with success.

I've never run and gunned or spotted and stalked turkey. Spot and stalk seems self explanatory, but I've never heard of the "run and gun" tactic. I'll look it up!

Would my Excal be the weapon of choice for this type turkey hunting?
Tom

Post by Tom »

BigKidLovesBows wrote:...........
I've never run and gunned or spotted and stalked turkey. Spot and stalk seems self explanatory, but I've never heard of the "run and gun" tactic. I'll look it up!

Would my Excal be the weapon of choice for this type turkey hunting?
Run and gun to me is like what some call TROLLING

This is walking and calling, trying to get any response. Then you walk back the same way you went, looking for any followers that are coming behind in silence.

I think this years hunt is going to be difficult. I bet, here in Ontario that some hunters will get pictures of hens with little ones in tow.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]