R&D Help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taz3

R&D Help

Post by taz3 »

If you or someone you know, has whacked their thumb, would you mind posting how or what you may have been doing that lead to your thumb being hit? If you prefer to PM me that would be fine too. I'm working on a setup to possibly prevent your thumb from getting hit, but I need to know what the cause is to adequately come up with the best solution.

Thanks.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Bullzeye

Re: R&D Help

Post by Bullzeye »

Either I have a short thumb or the people who have whacked their thumbs have real long thumbs, but I cannot get my thumb up on the deck to get hit when holding my bow.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
strum

Post by strum »

the time i did it wasnt an excal but i guess that doesnt matter..
i wasnt griping the fore arm..i was just cradling it my hand
trying to get a good rest..thumb way to far in the air..
no blood but felt like i had slamed it in a car door :(
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

Believe it only happens shooting off a rest. Thats when my son did it. Bow was rested on sand bag so he had his hand held different just to steady the bow. Standing and holding the bow, his hand is not big enought to get thumb that high. Hope this helps.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I managed to get my fingers above the rail with a Horton. The rear finger (pinkie) took 6 stitches to close and I found out later 2 bones had been broken. :oops:
wabi
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Man that's gotta hurt.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
chopfather

Post by chopfather »

I have stubby fingers and my thumb doesn't go high enough to get whacked. I guess it's a blessing in disguise. :lol:
Member of the P.A.D. Club
Excalibur Ibex
Hawke SR Scope
Wyvern quiver mount
S5's and Dis Bars
Custom Thumbhole Vixen
munch

Post by munch »

my older exomag had a thinner forend and i was leaning ahead around a limb and tilted the bow too the left and stuck my thumb above the rail as i shot.missed the deer at less than 8 yards .did my best not to scream thinking i was going to get another shot .the deer just stood there listening to the drops of blood hitting the dry leaves under my treestand .it turned to look away but i could not pull the string back for pain.
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have had it happen twice. Both times I was in stand with my bow on my lap and had a hold on the rail much like you would when shooting. But in doing so my left hand slid up slightly so that the thumb was above the rail. When a deer came in I took a shot without making sure my thumb was out of the way of the string. The first time I was wearing bulky winter gloves and put the blame on that a bit. The second time I had bare hands and then figured out what I was doing wrong. I hope to never do it again.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I've done it twice...using a bow with relatively thin forearm and laying th4e bow on stand/deck railing and resting my hand alongside. BTW Horton just came out with a plastic guard that attaches to the forearm -flares outward at top - virtually preventing any possibility of 'hammered thumb.'
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Bullzeye wrote:Either I have a short thumb or the people who have whacked their thumbs have real long thumbs, but I cannot get my thumb up on the deck to get hit when holding my bow.
I thought the same thing, because I never put my thumb over the barrel when firing a rifle, so how does it happen with a crossbow? :?

The best way to understand how it happens, is to sit in a chair while holding your crossbow on your lap, then allow the Xbow to point downward. You will that your front hand naturally rotates your thumb up onto the rail, right in the path of the string, now take a second to think about sitting, waiting during a hunt and all the sudden a deer comes within range, broadside with the perfect shot. You raise your xbow to put the deer in your scope, as your heart is racing and you're doing everything in your power not to spook the deer, but when you pull the trigger, you realize you never moved your thumb! :(

I wasn't 100% sure if this was the cause, until One Shot Scott, posted what he did, and now others have also said the same.

When using a crossbow for hunting or target shooting, it is real easy to distract yourself. Crossbow users, aren't grasping the front grip incorrectly to discharge their bolts, they're typically holding the crossbow in a relaxed hold and putting their thumb in harms way, then when it is raised to fire, they forget their thumb is in the way of the string. IMO this is why a resolve has not been successfully found to prevent thumb injuries, the assumption seems to be, users are aiming with an incorrect grip, but it's actually when we're at rest that we hold it incorrectly and not readjusting it to discharge it.

It is important that I was correct in my thinking, of the true cause of thumb injuries. All the posts above, are very helpful in assisting me in come up with a simple, yet affective way for us to enjoy our crossbows safely!

Thank you and feel free to keep adding any additional information.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

That makes sense Taz.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
taz3

Post by taz3 »

My intentions are to make this simple and uncomplicated as possible with no additional changes to the present function of the Excalibur crossbows.

OK next set of questions

1) Would anyone have an interest in adding a thumb guard?

2) If so, what would be acceptable price for you?

3) Would you be opposed to drilling your main frame?

* I'm working on 2 optional mounting ideas, with and without drilling, they both have pros and cons, not drilling increases cost, while drilling maybe outside some folks comfort zone.

** I will make sure Excalibur agrees this will not affect the crossbow in anyway before going this route.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

taz3 wrote:If you or someone you know, has whacked their thumb, would you mind posting how or what you may have been doing that lead to your thumb being hit? If you prefer to PM me that would be fine too. I'm working on a setup to possibly prevent your thumb from getting hit, but I need to know what the cause is to adequately come up with the best solution.

Thanks.
taz3, I like the post. I was thinking what if you took a fletching wrap and cut the wrap parallel with the vane, splitting the wrap material equal. You would end up with three and just adhere double stick tape to the back of the fletching wrap. Locate and apply on the grip not the rail where the vane would tentatively prevent you from putting your thumb or fingers above that point (top of rail) might work?
Scott
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

Bullzeye wrote:Either I have a short thumb or the people who have whacked their thumbs have real long thumbs, but I cannot get my thumb up on the deck to get hit when holding my bow.
Same here - there's is just no way that my thumb - or any other fingers for that matter - can get around the forearm of my Equinox so that they would be over the rail!
taz3 wrote: I thought the same thing, because I never put my thumb over the barrel when firing a rifle, so how does it happen with a crossbow? :?

The best way to understand how it happens, is to sit in a chair while holding your crossbow on your lap, then allow the Xbow to point downward. You will that your front hand naturally rotates your thumb up onto the rail, right in the path of the string, now take a second to think about sitting, waiting during a hunt and all the sudden a deer comes within range, broadside with the perfect shot. You raise your xbow to put the deer in your scope, as your heart is racing and you're doing everything in your power not to spook the deer, but when you pull the trigger, you realize you never moved your thumb! :(
Well see that's the problem right there. If you guys would be out hunting Moose* and Elk*, you'd be walking all day long, carrying your xbow rather than sitting with it in your lap, catchin' some Zzz and eliminating the possiblities referred too above :wink: :twisted:

(*runs out before getting screamed at :mrgreen: )
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP