recurve

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

recurve

Post by ecoaster »

Looking at getting a recurve to play around with and hopefully take a deer with it someday. I was looking at the Bear lineup and like the feel of the Grizzly and Super Grizzly. Any feed back good or bad would be appreciated.

Also the minimum poundage for hunting here in NS is 40#. I was looking at 50#. My compound is 65# and I can pull it back with ease. Is there a rule of thumb for draw weight???
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Big58cal

Re: recurve

Post by Big58cal »

Draw weights on compounds and recurves are two totally different things. A compound peaks and then drops off, whereas a recurve keeps increasing the further back you pull. Keep in mind too that you're going to have to be aiming while holding back or drawing that weight. With that being said, I'd look at getting a 40 or 45 lb used bow somewhere. Check around on Ebay or at some archery shops to see what's available. You should be able to pick up something decent at a decent price. Play around with that and find what you do/don't like about it and then go looking for a good/better bow. :wink:

I used to shoot recurves a long time ago just for fun, but never really got serious about it. A buddy of mine hunts with a Black Widow recurve and loves it.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

I know a bunch of guys with custom recurves that have spoken highly of the Samick Rage recurve. Costing something like 120-130 bucks new and running something like 30-60 lbs in 5 lbs increments it'd make a very good starter bow. I shoot every thing from primitive to compound and cross bow and am thinking of getting one for myself.

You might be interested in checking out this YT review... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SNWRSdJ ... re=related

Bill K.
timbikeride

Post by timbikeride »

I agree with Big58cal. There's a huge difference in just hitting a peak weight on a compound and holding back peak weight on a recurve. I'd want to test shoot one before buying. My father was very strong man in his younger days and only hunted with a 40 lb recurve. He said it allowed him to practice a lot without getting tired, plus he could hold it back for a short while if needed without getting the shakes. I know I've gotten tired holding back a 65% let off compound.
wayne

Post by wayne »

IMHO The Bear recurve/longbow line is on the right track getting better under there new ownership, & seem to be making some very nice bows now, (seems there was some problems in the past) looks to me there getting back to building bows like in the 60's - The grizzly line seem nice & the super kodiak's are sweet shooters. If ya just getting started in traditional archery, my pick would be to look at the samick line of take-down recurve, inter-changable limbs (start light & build yourself up) if ya start light, less chance of bad habits. The samick sage ($129.00) is not much to look at, but shoots nice, extra limbs $69.00 a set. The samick phantom ($229.00) is alot nicer to look at & shoots sweet, extra limbs $119.00 - plus many others in there line-up,I have both the sage & a phantom, along with older (60's) bear's, custom longbows, etc. Best advice I can give is start light & shoot close, work your way heaver & farther if you like, now I shoot barebows (instinctive) started to the early 70's that was the best way I learned. I shot compounds for over 20 years, funny thing was I never really liked them that much, I love the feel of limbs bending, kind of what I first liked about the excal line. Good luck with the traditional archery, one bow leads to many others, at less for me, let us know how it works out for you.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
bdog

Post by bdog »

Look up Chek-Mate bows,made in Canada and you get a lot of bow for the money.......
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

I collect the older Grayling Bears and have 13. From 30 lbs. To 53 lbs. I recommend 45 , it's a lot more comfortable and accurate for me. 50 is not an option. 5 lbs. , to me, is quite a difference. I have a Hoyt Gamemaster takedown and it's a 45lber . Packs a good whollop,and shoots flat to 25 yards.
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Mark Rainbolt

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

My favorite was a Hoyt Huntmaster's Takedown in 47 lbs. 28 inch draw.
God Bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

Get what you pay for in recurves. Cheap ones don't feel comfortable in your hand. Cheap ones warp real easy. Gave away a Sage. Warped in a couple short months. Only recurve that it ever happened to me. I shoot #50 on a recurve and #54 on a compound. Target practise I use a #40 recurve. I would look around for a good used one around $150 or $200.