Equinox distance testing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dash

Equinox distance testing

Post by Dash »

I spend my easter break at an old gold prospecting area out bush. I took advantage of the location which was next to a 50 long Mile salt lake to do some distance testing of the equinox and thought it good to share the info for anyone as curious as me. I've always been curious how far an arrow could fly, but also wanted to get the arrows back :lol:
This was the perfect spot for it. 100% safe as theres no-one else here.
I rode out about a mile from the edge and setup everything up. I siliconed the arrow shafts and tips so the salty clay would wipe of easier after impact.
I used easton arrows with 100tip-425gr, 150tip-475gr, and 200tip 525grain arrows. One shot of each arrow at the same angle.
Tape at the correct angle was stuck to the side of the stock to aim at the horizon and keep all three the same angle.
I was shooting south with a very gentle ENE wind. ThenI varied the group angles between 35 and 55 degrees from the horizon to get the longest shot.
The first results were surprising. I was wondering if Id ever see these arrows again and if I should have used cheaper arrows. :roll:
In the end they barely made it more than a few inches into the salty clay in the end and were easy to find.
All three were landing with 6 yards distance of each other at 450m or (492yd). The longest shot from varying the angles was 520m or (568yd) . The wind has increased slightly just before last shot.
I'm having trouble loading pics. "Board attachment quota has been reached" I'll try again bit later.
The lake (small).jpg
Distance shooting (Small).jpg
Arrows Landing (small).jpg
Last edited by Dash on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
onebigskittle

Re: Equinox distance testing

Post by onebigskittle »

What string did you use ?
Dash

Post by Dash »

One of my own 32 strand flemish astro with whiskers. If your wondering about the speed difference its only a few fps second faster than standard flemish without whiskers. So a standard string would have acheived a similar result. Of course the biggest variable uncontrolable factor is the wind but at least this gives you an idea what a 300 plus fps bow is capable of.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Interesting.
Did the heaviest arrow travel the farthest at all angles??
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Dash

Post by Dash »

In the end the lightest arrow did traveled further and was blown further sideways I might add. But that was only when the wind picked up a bit .
Without wind the difference was minimal. It surprised me. I suppose although light arrow takes off faster, over a seriously long distance like this it will slow quicker also. If I had of lowered the angle more, maybe then the lighter arrow would have shown a bigger difference.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Man did they fly. Sounds like you had a good day.
Raymond
masboy

Post by masboy »

no way I thougt a crossbow would shoot that far that sure is amazing to me!
Hoagy

Post by Hoagy »

Hey Dash, good info & 568yds is just short of 1/3 mile, jeeze, i'm not sure i could retrieve my arrows without a horse or sumpthin.
Thanks Dash,
Hoagy
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

Good to know !!! great info
thanks for sharing
Denis
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
Gewehrhund

Post by Gewehrhund »

I think I shot a bow at that angle once in a previous life,,,but I'm pretty sure it was against the Carthaginians...
2011 Vortex w/S5
Fire Bolts w/rage 100 gn for deer
Fire Bolts w/bolt cutters for everything else
.338 Ruger compact mag
Nikon Pro Staff LRF
Excal FFF string
Dash

Post by Dash »

Your right Hank. I thought crap...... they disappeared quickly :shock: ....
I was almost wondering if I should of started the test further out on the lake. But using the quad and the dead flat lake bed made it easy to get them again. The distance was then recorded using my partners and my handheld GPS's. The first reading made me doubt it was accurate so I had to double check it :lol: Trying this anywhere else, I'd never see them arrows again.
Did you get yours back in the end Hank ?
This makes me wonder about all those archery clubs I see with 200-250yd ranges here in the city. I'm sure all those 290+fps compounds would clear them ranges easily :roll:
mitch

Post by mitch »

very interesting experimentation.Thank you for sharing it.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

hankenhunter wrote:I laughed when you saw the arrows zip out of sight. When I did it, the first thing I said was oh oh, it went a little farther than I thought it would. :lol: Kinda like long distance lawn darts. Have fun!
Happy lobbing, :D Hank
Anyone try this in the evening or early morning with lit nocks??
Would make them easy to find as well.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Dash

Post by Dash »

Hey Hank, what distance did you get and at what angle ?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I knowed they would go abit over a qtr. mile don't need to say how i knowed that. It was a half hr search in a 100 acre pasture
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315