He Ain't Big, But He's Meat!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

strum

Re: He Ain't Big, But He's Meat!

Post by strum »

we got to try the turk and noodles last night.
was /is real good man ..ill have some more for lunch..i was suprised at how much meat came off a leg and thigh..
ill not ever wast those again. :D
it took all night in the crock to get the meat to fall off the bone ..i was begining to wonder... :D but certainly worth it..thanks..i need a good breast recipe now :D
what you think about slicing them 1/2' thick and putting the mallet to em ..then some soy and brown sugar soak and onto the grill? do i need to use the mallet?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Yeah, them buggers are tough. :lol: But well worth it. :wink: The longer it sits, the noodles will absorb more of that chicken broth and it'll be even better. :D I'm a pepper junkie, so I douse my bowls down with course ground black pepper and then a little tabasco sauce to give it a little 'zing'.

As for the breast, my favorite way is to slice it across the grain about 1/4 - 1/2" thick, roll it KY Colonel Seasoned Flour and fry it in peanut oil. It's tender enough that you won't need to use a mallet on it. But I'd stay away from the soy if I were you personally. Soy sauce has a tendency to overpower the flavor of everything else and all you end up tasting is the soy. I'm not much on anything sweet, so I don't know about the brown sugar. You may want to try soaking in milk overnight and see what that does. The lactic acid in the milk will help tenderize the meat and the milk will give it a little bit of a sweet taste. When it cooking, sprinkle a little brown sugar on it, just enough to let it caramelize.

Take the breast tenders and soak them in Italian Dressing overnight and throw them on the grill. :wink: It won't take them long to cook so watch them. Let me know what you think. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
strum

Post by strum »

you making me hungry :D
i think you got a good point there about the soy..ill save that for the deer..
i think im going to pass on eggs for breakfast..its turk and noddles for me 8)
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Hoagy

Post by Hoagy »

Congrats on the turkey Big58cal, i had never hunted turkeys before this spring. Never thought much about em. Boy am i gettin an education on turkeys. So far it's turkeys=2, but Hoagy=0 :oops: Never had so much fun! I'm gonna keep trying.
Good pics & really enjoyed the story. There will be lottsa good eatin there.
Thanks, Hoagy
Mark Rainbolt

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

Congrats Big!!!!!!!!!!! I see deep fried nuggets on the table!!!!!!!!
God Bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
muskyman454

Post by muskyman454 »

congrats on your bird.one down one to go.i got one opening morning and haven't heard one since? but good luck to you! :D
masboy

Post by masboy »

turkeys a turkey to me looks like some fine eating!!!
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

Congrats nice one
thanks for posting your pics .nice !
Wondering ???? the smaller they are , will they be more tender ?
never had the chance to tasted one ,will try this year if , i am lucky
Denis
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Sweeet ! ... Congrat's ! ... Some good eatin there for sure !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Close Up

Post by Close Up »

Nice bird, big or small they taste good.
It looks like your choke has a tight grouping
tat4life

Post by tat4life »

Congrats on a fine bird.. 8)
2010 Equinox,Lumizone,munch mount,munch custom arrows,munch string..Rage 2blade
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

denisdendenis wrote:Wondering ???? the smaller they are , will they be more tender ? never had the chance to tasted one ,will try this year if , i am lucky
Denis
Yep, just like with any other critter, the younger they are, the more tender they are. I was cleaning up the breast and the tenders last night and they were virtually falling apart in my hands. :D Hope you get one Denis!
Close Up wrote:It looks like your choke has a tight grouping
I use a Remington 870 Express Super Magnum shooting 3 1/2" Winchester Supreme Elite Xtended Range #5 shells through an Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike choke tube. Even at 40 yds (the distance this turkey was at), the majority of the pellets are still within about the size of a basketball. :shock: I've patterned that gun/load/choke out to 60 yds and have dead turkeys, on paper at least. I can't remember the exact number of hits that I had in the head/neck out at 60 yds, but I couldn't believe it that everything was holding together that well when I was doing it. The only "down" side to the choke and shells are the cost. The choke was about $75, but if you consider you only have to buy it once and it's one of the best ones on the market, holding several NWTF championships, it's well worth the price. The shells are about $43 for a box of 10. But if you consider that I shoot, at max, 2 shots a year, they aren't that bad. Last year, I had a brain fart and forgot to put the choke tube in the gun. It just had bare threads, with no choke at all. Killed a turkey opening morning with my son at about 30 yds. I attribute that totally to the shells.

Thanks again folks for all of the congrats! :D I'm not in it for the glory, as evidenced by the little 2 1/2" beard on that turkey. :lol: My main thing, just as 99.99% of ya'll, is to get out there, enjoy nature, have a good time, and put some meat on the table. I've got 1 more tag left and 3 more weekends to hunt, so with this one I'm going to see if I can match wits with a little older bird. :wink: Trouble is, when it comes to a battle of wits with an old turkey, I usually come up on the short end of the stick. :lol:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
sneak

Post by sneak »

Congrats! 8)
Exocet 200
Vari-Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser II Arrows
Rage 2 blade crossbow broadheads
S5 Suppression System
Flemish Dyna Flight String