Trouble at the range!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

-sro-

Trouble at the range!!

Post by -sro- »

Yesterday I sighted in with a bipod and was at least touching the bullseye every shot.

Today my Vortex takes a little tumble off the washing machine and there is some trouble.

I shot way over the target on the first shot. (moved 8 clicks down) A little over on the second. (moved 6 clicks down) Touching the bullseye again.

Then I start to hit a little low. One shot goes underneath. (4 clicks up)

Shot near bullseye the rest of the day.

3 bolts down today...

I will go back out tomorrow with the bipod again just to regain some confidence in the zero and my shooting.

Moral?? Don't put bow on the washing machine!!
Pydpiper

Re: Trouble at the range!!

Post by Pydpiper »

Check to make sure the rear bell didn't get knocked loose, grab it and force it up and down. I knocked mine down the stairs this spring, it survived the fall, thank goodness.
I have dropped my bow on the scope in the past and broke it, more than once.
Re-tighten everything, make sure the internals are still solid and you should be good to go. If your POI still wanders, there is internal damage.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Tighten all your screws...even the ones that hold the stock to the rail, then re-zero with just one arrow. Rule out all the intangibles & start from scratch. :wink:
Good luck & let us know how it works out. :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
-sro-

Post by -sro- »

Nothing rattles at all when I shake the bow. I will retighten all screws tomorrow before shooting.

Any suggestions on who has some decent prices on the C2 firebolts?
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Check it ,then check it again . Scopes can be touchy things when it comes to being banged around . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
chopfather

Post by chopfather »

My wife's vixen shot great right out of the box when I bought it from foofoo but after about 100 shots it was all over the place, I found the scope mount bolts were loose causing the problem. Blue locktite is your friend.
Member of the P.A.D. Club
Excalibur Ibex
Hawke SR Scope
Wyvern quiver mount
S5's and Dis Bars
Custom Thumbhole Vixen
mb5200

Post by mb5200 »

chopfather wrote:My wife's vixen shot great right out of the box when I bought it from foofoo but after about 100 shots it was all over the place, I found the scope mount bolts were loose causing the problem. Blue locktite is your friend.

Blue locktite is great but kinda expensive ($25 a small tube), at the sporting goods shop I used to work at we used clear nail polish on all screws. It has a great bond but still can be remove.
CanuckBen

Post by CanuckBen »

Sro

Did you happen to see which part of your bow touched the floor 1st? Straight down on its arse? Over-under dive on the scope? Arms-out-limbs crash?

My money is on the scope wrings coming loose and out of original alingnement as if it was something else, like a bad limb, your shots wouldn't have improved.

Good luck!
(still trying to come up with something witty and interesting to add)

Excalibur Equinox Shadow-Zone LSP
strum

Post by strum »

mb5200 wrote:
chopfather wrote:My wife's vixen shot great right out of the box when I bought it from foofoo but after about 100 shots it was all over the place, I found the scope mount bolts were loose causing the problem. Blue locktite is your friend.

Blue locktite is great but kinda expensive ($25 a small tube), at the sporting goods shop I used to work at we used clear nail polish on all screws. It has a great bond but still can be remove.
$25 a small tube? :shock:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Dash

Post by Dash »

G'day mate,
Besides the other possibilities that have been mentioned, check the scope rail to be straight and true. The weakest part of the Scope/rings/ rail assembly is the alloy scope rail.
I was shooting on an Archery clubs 50 meter target. Just as I grabbed my arrows from the target , I looked back and saw a gust of wind blow the Ibex off a 1 1/2 foot heigh box and it rolled over onto the scope. It didn't look very bad at all. After a quick checkover it all looked good so I continued. But the next few shots were all over 1 meter too heigh, well over the top of the target.
Later on the scope rings and scope were replaced, but I couldn't even tune the spare hawke scope into elevation range, it had the same shooting way heigh problem. Then I removed the scope rail which ended up showing a few millimeters deviation from being true. It can barely be noticed with the naked eye, but easily seen with feeler gauges and a straight edge. After replacing this, the old scope and rings were checked to be true, and put back on. She was spot on the bullseye again.
Also check the scope rail holes for elongation (oval shaped holes) which will have the same effect.
I hope you sort it out soon.
chopfather

Post by chopfather »

I can usually find the blue permatex brand threadlocker for about $15 a tube and I use it on all of my motorcycles anyway so I always have some on hand. If used sparingly a tube will last me almost a year.
Member of the P.A.D. Club
Excalibur Ibex
Hawke SR Scope
Wyvern quiver mount
S5's and Dis Bars
Custom Thumbhole Vixen
-sro-

Post by -sro- »

Problem solved!!

I packed up early because I got tired of hitting the bullseye :lol:
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

-sro- wrote:Problem solved!!

I packed up early because I got tired of hitting the bullseye :lol:
8) 8) 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

chopfather wrote:I can usually find the blue permatex brand threadlocker for about $15 a tube
Thats the only brand I have ever seen over where I live, is it just as good as locktite??
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone