Ontario 2012 Turkey Season / Opening day fun !!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Ontario 2012 Turkey Season / Opening day fun !!

Post by R.J. »

Last Friday , I stopped by a couple farms I have permission on to see what the turkeys were doing ? ... Didn't see much because many farmers were out in the fields picking rocks , rolling fuel tanks etc . :lol: Which kept the birds in the bush .

I did see a small group of " green heads " as I checked field to field ...

Our Butcher's new dog didn't seem real interested in my turkey scouting and watched from a favorite relax spot by the buggy ...

Well , last night... a storm blew in at the North farms and when Randy and I headed up there this morning for our 2012 Ontario turkey season opener , we were surprized to see how much snow stayed !

The snow was good for us though , because it gave us a chance to see where the birds had travelled last to roost ... I was in a Blind at the " River Flats " and Randy set up two fields North of me in a fence row overlooking the "Sugar Shack" bush ( a bush I have taken some good birds from over the years ) .

I watched the sun come up and had 5 different gobblers making noise at the South East ridge ... Man it was beautifull music and I was thinking It wouldn't be long before I bowled over a beauty opening day Tom ! ... I never happend for me though ... One lone hen walked by at 10 yards , and I saw three deer , but all the gobblers flew down and headed further East with a larger group of hens ...

Meanwhile , Randy text's me and says he is having similar action ( multiple gobblers sounding off on roost ) ... Then I get a message saying ( Big Tom walking across the field ! ) ... Not long after I hear a single shot ! " bang " , followed by a quick text, confirming the tom was down ! ..... Sweeeet it's only 6:28 am !

Here are a few pictures from Randy's location ... Nice Tom ... taken at approx 35 yards with a tight group of 3 inch # 4 shot laucnhed from Randy's Remington 870 with extra full turkey choke .

Later confirmed weight as 22lbs , 10 1/2 " beard , Spurs at 1 1/4 , and 1 3/8 ... an awsome opening day Tom ! Congrat's Randy !

We pack up at that farm ... check a few other farms to get me on a bird , but no action ... We had breakfast and I drop Randy off for home .
I eventually make my way South to a farm that I can only bow hunt on ... I spotted a nice Tom skirting the fenceline into the bush , like this one ... ( The weather is totally different at this Southern Location , the sun is out , there is no snow ... I've gone from Insulated Coveralls to a regular Jacket and Vest now ! )

I set up deep in the bush in an area that had some intermittent openings ... I settled in for a long wait ! Hen calling approx every 20 mins ... I heard a gobble that sounded about 100 yards to my East , but then nothing ? ... Seemed like forever , and I was starting to drift off in the warm sun ,...then I hear some rustling and branch snap to my left ... I freeze ... my heart is pounding as a nice Tom walks towards an opening @ approx 20 yards .. he snuck in without even a gobble ! ... as he goes behind a small tree I get lucky as he pecks the ground with his head facing away from me ... I had my Relayer resting on a horizontal branch so the movement up to shoulder was minimal ... before the Tom can turn his head my way I send an XX75 / Interlock broadhead combo thru him broadside ! ... The shot looked high , and he blows out of there like his feathers are on fire , but with an obvious left wing defect ! ( I'm sure I have a right thru left side pass thru ! )

I try to calm down ... send Randy a text .. It's 2:56 pm ! ... I walk over to the point of impact > nothing but some turned up ground and a few feathers where the Tom was last standing ... I cant find my arrow yet ... I walk back and take a few pictures of my set up while I give the bird 20mins or so before I follow-up .

I was sitting here with my back against this tree , and my Relayer resting on the branch in front .

Over looking this cover ... ( an area with a game trail crossing left to right )

After 25 mins , I walk slow and find a small bit of blood approx 30 yards into his escape route ...

Yeah Baby ! ... I find him approx 50 yards further ! ... I'm stoked ! ... It took some cleaning up , but I get a few " last resting place " pictures in the bush !

I walk back toward my set up and find my arrow on the way ... Then take one picture of my Y25 Relayer ... another job well done !

Oh , and after monkeying around with the new tie on tag , I get a one picture of his spurs ... Yep , even RJ takes blurry pictures occationally ! :lol:

I weigh him at 19lbs , 8 inch beard , and a set of 1 inch spurs ... Excalibur Y25 Relayer # 100 , Easton XX75 Aluminum arrow / 125 Grain Interlock Broadhead , Boo Custom string , Top Load Munch Quiver mount .

Man what a day we had ! ... We experience Winter , then Summer weather .. and took two nice opening day Toms approx 8 1/2 hrs and approx 50 KM's or more apart from each other ! ... A day we won't soon forget ! .... Fun game eh !
Last edited by R.J. on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
frisky

Re: Ontario 2012 Tiukey Season / Opening day fun !!

Post by frisky »

Congrats on the birds guys. R.J. you have some great tracking ability, wish I had some. :lol:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND RANDY!!!!

Great hunt stories, RJ!!!

You had me on the edge of my seat while looking for your bird. :D

Awesome photos as usual. I especially love the ones with the snow! What a great contrast between the two hunt locations!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations R.J.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for taking us along (with the pics).
wabi
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

Congrats !!! nice bird and good story thanks for sharing
ps
like the pics
Denis
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

What a hunt!!
Congrats!!! :D :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
G Skinner

Post by G Skinner »

Congrats, some real nice hooks there !
Glen
GOOD LUCK AND PLAY SAFE !
bugs

Post by bugs »

Congrats guys and the pictures as usual are wonderful
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
Allan

Post by Allan »

Thanks for sharing RJ,

Great stories and pics!
Mark Rainbolt

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

Congrats on the Birds guy's!!!!!! Great story!!!!!
God Bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
MADMAX2

Re: Ontario 2012 Turkey Season / Opening day fun !!

Post by MADMAX2 »

CONGRATS!! Great pics and hunts!!
The best things in life are not things!!
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Congrats to you and your buddy R.J.! :D Your buddies bird definitely had some hooks on him! :shock: Limb hanger for sure! But I guarantee, his won't taste any better than yours. :wink: :lol:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Way to go Rick. I sure do miss the sound of those thunder chickens.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey All You Thunder Chicken Chasers, good luck to you all. I know I am a day late with my good luck, and I sure wish I was there. Hopefully next year this Nova Scotian will be well enough to come and chase one of those Thunder Chickens with you. Have a great hunting season and a safe one.
Raymond
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Congrats to you both on a couple great birds. Great pics as always. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads