Decoy advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bugs

Decoy advice

Post by bugs »

I have a hen and a jake decoy. This morning I saw a jake chasing a hen across the field then he went back to the other woods and I assume she went to sit on her eggs. I had to go to work but was watching this from the yard for 30 minutes, honestly I had a shower and went outside to watch them while I was buttoning my shirt in my yard :lol: :lol: I am addicted :wink: This all happened in the field I am putting my blind Sat morning. I am thinking maybe I should just set up Sat morning with the hen and leave the jake decoy behind. What do you guys think?
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
Big58cal

Re: Decoy advice

Post by Big58cal »

Can't really tell about your area. My area, the birds are leery of decoys and shy away from them. I have several, but I've not used them in probably 10 years. Other areas people have good luck with the decoys. Hopefully someone up there by you will be able to help you bugs. :?
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

Lone hen is all I use & seems to work for me.
xbhntr

Post by xbhntr »

I stopped using decoys . When a tom sees a hen from afar and he 's not interested , he wanders away . With no decoy , he's always looking for where the hen call came from . This brings him in closer . Ray
strum

Post by strum »

I use a lone hen usualy but in your situation it could go either way . i would not put her out in the field ..i would try to put her more in the edge of the woods if possible..
somwhere that he will have to look a bit and in the mean time walk right by you,,
all that said im not the most experianced guy here and i am curious to read what more guys are saying too..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
bugs

Post by bugs »

How confusing, the ones last year came right to the decoys. Of course Uncle Fester makes a hot hen :lol: There are 3 sets of woods the turkeys can come from but likely one in general. Maybe I will use one farther to my right in the hay field so if they come from where I expect they would still be in range if they hang up. I will have company in my blind on Sat so I wont have room for my Excal. I tried shooting my gun tonight and regret every moment. My shoulder if throbbing but using a rest I am making the shots. I cant do it without my arm on my knee. But I can make one shot. I will use the bow in the woods on Sun but the girl I am taking has never been before and is a bit nervous so the field and blind feels better for her.
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol: