BBQ/Smoker Build #2

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mark Rainbolt

Re: BBQ/Smoker Build #2

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

Looks like it is going to be a Good One Raymond!!!!!!! keep the FIRE EXTINGUSHIER CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
God Bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Mark, I intend to have a HUGE FIRE EXTINGUISHER aboard, :) . And a sign to put out telling them to watch out for the pyromaniac, :lol: .
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
Here is a few more photos of preparing the stove to join to the smoker barrel. I did this yesterday. Like I said it is not a fast build but it will get done and I hope you all enjoy this build. The first three photos was removing an opening of 18" wide X 9" high to be able to connect the stove and the smoke chamber together with a short rectangular section. I used my 7" grinder and two metal cutting blades to do what I had done yesterday. The section joining the stove and the smoke chamber will be 18" wide X 9" high and 8" long and made with 3/8" steel plate.

The next two photos will show the opening completed and the thickness of the steel plate that the stove is made with. Finally, the opening was finished. I would not have wanted to cut that opening with a hack saw.

The next seven photos is the section that was mounted on top of the stove at the end where the chimney pipe connected to the stove.
That top piece where the chimney pipe would connect was rather easy to remove. I ground the wielding joints and compared to the opening that had to be cut out of the back of the stove, that was a piece of cake.

In the rest of photos you will see where that chimney piece has been removed.

A piece of the steel plate that I removed from the back of the stove will now have to be shaped and wielded into place to seal it up that hole. And then the opening of the draft at the front of the stove will have to be made larger and the rest of the piece of steel plate will be used to make a larger draft door.

Depending on how I feel this afternoon I may fix the draft door to the new size. I am now getting tired because the pain that I had in my legs are gone so now I will say good night and I hope you have enjoyed my BBQ/Smoker build so far.

Thank you,
Raymond
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Ray, that sure is some heavy iron.
That trailer will need an upgrade. :lol: :lol:
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Mark Rainbolt

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

WHERE THE HELL ARE YOUR SAFTY GLASSES!!!!!!!!!!Are you trying to end up in the hospitial!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Looking Good!!!!!!
God Bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Rusty grindings and eyeballs do not go well together.
One bad shard of steel and you could lose an eye.
Take care.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Lookin' good Raymond! Just remember, Slow and Steady Wins The Race. :wink: But yeah, like the others said, you shoulda' had some glasses on. :shock: Don't make us have to come up there and glue a set on your head. :mrgreen:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
That was the first thing I looked for and couldn't find them, I always wear safety glasses. So, I took my chance and done some without them. Got some friends dropping in will talk to you all later. Bye for now.
Thanks,
Raymond
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Mark Rainbolt wrote:WHERE THE HELL ARE YOUR SAFTY GLASSES!!!!!!!!!!Are you trying to end up in the hospitial!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Looking Good!!!!!!
God Bless,
Mark

:lol: :lol: Busted Raymond!! :lol: :lol:

Looking good so far. Dang that's one thick walled woodstove!! :shock:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
Scouts Honor no more grinding until I find my safety goggles. Thanks for all the kind words and caring. Sorry I had to leave early last night but I had some company that I haven't seen in a couple of years. It was great to sit and yarn with them.
Thank you,
Raymond

Edited: I got nothing done on the BBQ/Smoker today, I needed some rest. It was a lot harder than it seemed to do all that cutting of that heavy steel. Will try and do some more tomorrow,
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Raymond wrote:Edited: I got nothing done on the BBQ/Smoker today, I needed some rest. It was a lot harder than it seemed to do all that cutting of that heavy steel. Will try and do some more tomorrow,
You're just in a hurry for some smoked ribs. :lol: You aren't going to be able to enjoy those ribs if you're in too much pain from overdoing yourself building the smoker. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Mark,
I will have those rack smoked pork ribs before summer is over. UUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. My mouth is watering already, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . I feel pretty good today I will just play around today and will not worked hard. I promise that to you my friends.
Thanks,
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I was given another 250 gallon oil barrel with one top corner cut off. I am thinking and planning on cutting out one of the sides of this barrel and using it to make the reverse flow plates for my BBQ/Smoker. The thickness of the barrel metal is 1/8" thick. Is that thick enough for flow plates? I have made good hot fires in these barrels for the second time. Neither of these barrels smelled anything like furnace oil. They had both been unused for years, they are both good and solid barrels. I am going to make another good hot fire in the wood stove again also. A good hot fire in the stove has even helped clean it up on the outside and on the inside. I will make one more set of fires in everything and then will start the assembly process. I am cleaning up the yard and stripping the trailer down to the frame today also. I am taking my good old time making sure to take care of my back and everything else.
Thank you,
Raymond
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Like the others said, safety glasses for sure. I'd even say gloves wouldn't hurt. Those angle grinders can be unforgiving. I've seen enough folks get sliced to know that by the time you realize something has gone wrong it is too late.

You must have read my mind.....I have had plans to build a BBQ/smoker using a wood stove for a few years.

The only advice I can offer is: be mindful of the paint you use to finish your bbq. The new high heat from Tremclad requires a heat cure to aquire the flat finish. If you paint the legs of your bbq with the same paint it will not look the same after the first use.

Looking forward to the finished product.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I plan on mocking up the BBQ/Smoker today on the trailer to find out what length of legs I need for the smoke chamber and the stove and also where things will be best situated. I still have to take the plywood floor off after and beef up the frame. Could the 3/4" plywood floor be left on until I could afford to put down a steel meshed floor later on this summer? The plywood floor is still cover with vinyl flooring and is still solid. I could install some pieces of metal underneath the stove and underneath the smoker with an air gap under each piece of metal for a heat shield. Will that work for now, what do you think? I will take some pictures of the mock up. I am also planning to beef up the suspension I believe. I do not know if the original suspension would be good enough or not. When you think about though, the trailer itself would be packed with all sorts of stuff when you are going away on a camping trip so why wouldn't the original suspension work? What do you think? What brand of heat resistant paint would you use to paint the BBQ/Smoker? I am thinking of a flat black for the color.
Thanks,
Raymond