Self tapping screws

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Self tapping screws

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
Is there such a thing as a self tapping screw for 1/8" thick oil barrel metal? I have used self tapers before for furnace tin but at that thickness.
Thanks,
Raymond
munch

Re: Self tapping screws

Post by munch »

ray ive used thousands when i built tobacco kilns we called them tec screws
here is a link at fastenal but i think you can buy them at home hardware or homedepo as well
http://www.fastenal.com/web/search/prod ... 0Screws%22|~
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

My friends arc wielder seems to be burning holes instead of wielding or tacking the 1/8" thickness steel. Is that normal with an arc wielder and with that thin of steel. Will the self tapping screws work with 1/8" thick steel for attaching the strips of medal around the edge of the doors that close down against the smoker barrel or should those steel strips be thicker? Will the screws also work with the angle iron for the tracks that connect to the barrel for the racks to slide in and out on? What kind of material should these screws be made with, for example, stainless steel, hardened steel, and what size and what length should these screws be? For the reverse flow plates will 1/8" thick sections of steel cut from another 250 gallon oil barrel be okay for the reverse flow plates? Or should I have a minimum thickness of 3/16" or better yet a 1/4" thick or 3/8" thick? Just when you think everything is going to be easy, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , surprise surprise, I will just roll with the punches and keep on building, :) .

I need to buy some 1/4' thick plate steel to make a rectangular tube to join together the wood stove and the smoker barrel. The size of the opening in the wood stove and the smoker barrel is 18" wide X 9" high X 8" long to join the two together. I was thinking about wielding angle iron around the edges flush to the end of the rectangle box and drilling and bolting the box to the stove and the smoke barrel. What do you think about that?

I am getting two 250 gallon oil barrels for free and am going to cut the end off of them and cut them open along the wielded seam along the side of the barrels and flatten them out to cover the frame of the trailer after it is beefed up a bit. The frame is in good shape and is solid. I have the papers for the trailer at my friends house. I am going to look around for a set of axle and springs with 14" or 15" wheels. That would definitely be a good upgrade for the suspension and wheels for the trailer. Have I forgot anything? I will know when I get there, :lol: .
Thank you,
Raymond
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Most commercial smokers use bolts and nuts with a lock washer to attach the fire box to the smoker body.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Home Depot sells them in all different lengths. Not to many sizes though.
Dash

Post by Dash »

G'day Raymond,
Its hard for me to imagine the parts youré trying to join up here but I can give some tips if you're welding .
Its very difficult to arc weld thin metal like that of a Drum. It can be done by welding/tacking small bits at a time. You need patience, because if you do more than small welds at once, the heat will build up in the metal and melt a hole in it. Thinner steel gets easier to mig weld than arc weld when working with metal around 1/8"-3/16"thickness, or you can also braze it with an oxy/acetalene kit too. Either can work well on thin metal.
Screws will work for the things you've mentioned, but it won't have the quality finish as a welded unit where welding can be done.
If you go the welding route, only tack you're bits together until you're 100% sure its all as you want it. Then finish her off.
So is this flash mobile smoker going to be youré new buisiness :?: Something like that could work well :wink:
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

The best method will be to bolt it together since it will be on a trailer and subject vibration and movement.

If the welder is burning through the 1/8" plate then you need to turn the heat down on the welder and use a thinner rod for the thickness of the plate. This thickness should weld just fine but you can't rush it.

Again, look at the registration of the trailer for the GVW.
I don't think you will need a heavier suspension unless the smoker will weigh over the GVW. Don't build it too heavy unless you want to tow it with a truck.

1/8" plate weighs just under 5 lbs. per square foot. Use that as a guide to estimate weight you add to the trailer.

http://www.engineersedge.com/gauge.htm
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"