ThermaCell

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

ThermaCell

Post by Raymond »

Hello Folks,
By any chance, do you know where the pads for the ThermaCell Appliance can be bought separately without the butane refills? I asked a Representative from ThermaCell and each paid will cost $1.50 from them. Twelve pads will end up costing $18.00 plus shipping here to Nova Scotia. That would not make sense to bother refilling your own cartridges if I had to pay that much for the pads alone.
Thank you,
Raymond
VixChix

Re: ThermaCell

Post by VixChix »

I saw somewhere on the internet where a guy took bits of broken up mosquito coil inserted them in the thermacell grill, and held them there with a bit of fine cloth tied around the unit. He said it worked, but I've never tried it.

Other folks have obtained a flea repellent from a vet and soaked old pads in it to recharge them. Have to get the same chemical as thermacell uses.

EDIT: I found this info:

The active ingredient in the Thermacell pad is allethrin, a chemical insecticide belonging to the pyrethroid class, according to PesticideInfo.org. Pyrethroids like allethrin are synthetic versions of pyrethrin, which is a natural insecticide derived from a type of chrysanthemum. Allethrin, on the other hand, is a chemical copy.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/28966 ... z1vJsevigg
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I must do some research also.
Thanks,
Raymond
mb5200

Post by mb5200 »

How are you re-filling the butane? My buddy next door is trying to figure out a way to do it. (and I'll be next if it works)
any help would be great.........
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

For refill:
Pictures are in the link

http://redneckfactory.com/rural-enginee ... -and-easy/

by Pydpiper » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:53 pm

My first few attempts I tried a second valve in the bottom of the cartridge, it did work, but I wasn't comfortable with it.
So, I grabbed a 6 pack, my Dremel and headed to the shop. I have run three of these empty so far, it has worked flawless so I figured it would be safe to share.
Tools- 1/8" drill bit, pliers, small chunk of wire and butane.

First, you need to pull the brass valve from the canister, a pair of pliers works just fine, careful not to damage the O-ring. A simple tug and it should slide right out

Now you can see the check valve when you look inside, it prevents you from refilling the canister. Use the 1/8" drill bit and drill it out carefully, there is a layer of plastic, then a thin layer of aluminum. You have to drill pretty deep, lots of stuff in there, about 3/4". Once done you can see in to the canister, shake out the drilling debris.

Now the valve gets pressed back in, easy as pie! You could add super glue at this stage, but I don't think it is nessasary.

Now it is ready to be filled, the brass valve is very similar to the valve on a car/bike tire, there is a small nipple in there that needs to be depressed to allow fluid to pass through it. My technique is a bit primitive, but worked like a charm! I cut a small tidbit of wire and dropped it in to the brass valve, once the butane is applied the pressure opens the valve and allows the transfer of fluid.

I filled 7 in about 5 minutes, the fluid exchange takes about 4 seconds to go from empty to full. Seven refills did not noticeably affect my big butane can. I use Ronson butane, I like the good stuff because I have had clogging issues in the past with off brand butane with other projects. I am going to retrofit a filling nozzle to avoid the chunk of wire, but it sure worked well.
Just like that it is over, an inexpensive way to enjoy the Thermacell for pennies. We run ours almost daily, between my work, picnics, the pool and camping every weekend they see a bit of abuse.
I hope this helps someone!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
dsal

Post by dsal »

Try Walmart I buy mine the and some times Canadian tire. Walmart is the cheapest I found.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

dsal wrote:Try Walmart I buy mine the and some times Canadian tire. Walmart is the cheapest I found.
I am talking about buying the just pads by themselves for the Thermacell unit. That is what I am looking for. Here is another video of refilling the butane cartridges,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... 4tnkcShT74

Thanks,
Raymond