Cooking Turkey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbhntr

Cooking Turkey

Post by xbhntr »

Since I started turkey hunting ( 4 years ) , I ' ve been fortunate to harvest 2 Toms. The 1st ; I peeled the feathers away from the meat and deep fried the whole bird. By doing this there is no fat or pin feathers. The bird was cooked 1 hour and had a charred black appearance . Tasted Great. This years bird , I plucked and deep fried the Tom , feathers are a pain to remove . Also a charred black appearance. Tasted Great . Of the 2 methods of feather removal , the next bird I kill will be peeled. Some hunters are just removing the breast meat . What is your preferred method of cooking turkey ? Ray
rayman

Re: Cooking Turkey

Post by rayman »

I skin enough to get the two breast pieces out and the legs.

I put the legs in the crock pot until the meat comes off the bone. Then make soup or something out of it.

I cut the breast into strips about 1/4" wide going against the grain. Try to get out all the shot to avoid busting a tooth. Found out about that the hard way. Soak it in mojo a day or two in the frig. Get it in the ethnic food section. Shake it in corn meal mix with no additional seasoning and fry it up. Can't go wrong. :)
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

rayman wrote: Soak it in mojo a day or two in the frig. Get it in the ethnic food section. Shake it in corn meal mix with no additional seasoning and fry it up. Can't go wrong. :)
What the heck is "Mojo"?
Thanks,
Raymond
rayman

Post by rayman »

Raymond wrote:What the heck is "Mojo"?
Its a type of marinade. Good stuff, especially on turkey breast.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Kath T.'s recipe for turkey scallopini(sp) is awsome!!! Its under the "wild game recipes" heading.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

If you pluck it while still warm makes it easier . What we used to do to chickens when we plucked was to dunk them in hot water with parafin wax floating on top . When the wax cools it holds the feathers together making it easier .
I have lately been chunking up my birds . Makes for many meals rather than one large one .
With the legs we have found it easier to cook them then let them cool . When cool the meat peels off the guard bones far easier . Then use in chili or spagetti or whatever your heart desires . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
strum

Post by strum »

What the heck is "Mojo"?
Thanks,
Raymond[/quote]

MoJo-- its a word used to decribe a beat up guitar or amp when trying to sell it. :lol: :lol:
It means its beat to heck but its cool to look that way..go figgure :shock:
but i know thats not what we are talking about here.. :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16