My flyrod addiction!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

groundpounder

My flyrod addiction!

Post by groundpounder »

I know I have not been as much of a regular on this forum as of past but... other hobbies have called. My flyfishing addiction has definitely taken over :D . From what started as just flyfishing, then turned to fly tying, then built a reel, has now turned to rod building. I just finished my 4th rod build. This one has been in my head for a while now but funds have finally come together for the build. This is a 9'6" 7 weight on a XEN blank from Northfork Composites. All hardware is REC components. And the carbon fiber grip is from DR custom fishing products. I did not want anything too flashy on the rod but a nice transition look from grip to blank. I added a decorative wrap using black and gunmetal gray thread in a 3D reverse chevron pattern.

I have a new Hatch 7 reel on the way for this rod but could not wait to give the rod a try.

Why ride when you can walk!
Raymond

Re: My flyrod addiction!

Post by Raymond »

Hey groundpounder,
Welcome back, haven't seen you around in quite some time. Nice to see you here. Nice looking rod. Nice pan fry right there. Nice looking day on the river. Thanks for the pictures also.
Raymond

Edit: Is that a rainbow or a brown trout, I can't tell for sure.
TPM

Post by TPM »

Awesome looking rod! I just got into fly fishing this year and I can see how it can be addictive. Was just out shopping for an assortment of flies this afternoon.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Thanks Raymond.
Its a stocker rainbow. I kayak fished the Chattahoochee River here in Georgia which is only about 30 minutes from the house. Landed 12 for the day all about the same size. I built this rod for throwing big streamers for the browns but it wasn't happening this day. I also wanted it for a steelhead trip planned for October at California's Trinity River :D
Why ride when you can walk!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Very nice job on the rod!
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Trinity river, well that ought to be something going after steelie's. When i was a boy we used to backpack up past Hobo Gulch over to Papoose Lake. Caught many of beautiful rainbows & some gooden's at Forbiden Lake also. I lived in Humbolt county inland from Trinidad
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

If you get tired of putting flys on the water you can mail that rod to me , it looks nice.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

WOW!! Nice job...that's like the Mercedes of fly rods right there. Nice job and good luck on the water. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Love the carbon fiber!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Nice craftsmanship!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

That is one beautiful fly rod! Glad to see you posting again GP. Keep those pics coming!
Crispy