G5 Montec

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gamikatsu

G5 Montec

Post by Gamikatsu »

Hello all,

Deer season is still kind of far out, figured i would try to incite some discussions!!!

I wanted to start this thread, to get a serious discussion, NOT FLAME WAR!!! about the G5 Montec. its inherent strengths and weaknesses. I personally love them, i think they are well made, and a great design. I have NOT had a chance to put one through a live critter, however i have pushed them through a pot roast (tough ole Bast@#$) and it did very well for my liking. I have the following thoughts on them

PROS:
-easily re sharpen-able
-durable
-accurate
-seemingly "as" deadly as other broadheads
-RE USABLE!!!!

CONS:
-pretty dang expensive (especially to lose)
-they kind of whistle.... in flight
-were not razor sharp out of box

What do you guys think? i have heard they do well, but leave poor blood trails, and others i have heard a blind kid could follow the blood trails.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts on this subject.
Edward
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
LongCarbine

Re: G5 Montec

Post by LongCarbine »

I know some guys that shoot them from their V-bows your pros and cons seem to be pretty much dead on . Some are like razors out of the box some need a little work . As far as the whistle I don't think that should be to big of a concern . If they shoot good use them .
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I bought a pack a few months ago just to give them a try & couldn't hit a bull in the ass with them!! :evil:
I know it wasn't the arrow...only used one arrow to begin with and i could take that same arrow and hit bulls at 40yds with a slick or a spitfire.
Tried a couple of more arrows, same results. Got aggravated & gave them to my nephew. My one & only experience with them.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I've used them and love them. For a fixed blade broadhead I believe they are one of the best designs out there. The one piece construction makes them alot more durable than others. The only con that I have for them is their smaller cutting diameter. I was always a fixed broadhead advocate but after trying the Rage 2 blade I've since been sold on that one in a 2 inch cut. But back on topic I'm happy with the Montec too.
Why ride when you can walk!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

The Buck in my avatar i took wid montec G5, love them just abit out of my budget of $26 per 3. I was given mine by a great member on this Forum Saxman!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

I used them for a year or so and took a couple deer with them. No complaints on performance, but I decided to switch to a replaceable blade head for the ease of having a sharp head with little effort. (no sharpening, just change blades after a kill)
I gave the few I had left to my friend (and the landowner where I hunt) and he was impressed with the accuracy. He is pretty much a buck hunter, and in 2009 he got a shot on a decent buck with one of the Montecs. After the arrow passed through it ran across an open field to a creek about 150-200 yards away. No blood at first, so he called me to assist in tracking. I joined the search and we were finding a trail, but the blood drops were several yards apart. I decided to move to the creek and check the crossings for sign. It didn't take long to find where the deer had stopped when it hit the cover.

It only traveled about 10 yards from that point (to the creek bottom where we had to field dress it, then drag it over a high bank to get it out :roll: )

Not his biggest buck, but he was happy with it.
The Montec did a good job, but the blood trail was thin at first. I've had the same thing happen with most of the (fixed blade) heads I've used, though. About any fixed blade is going to be limited in cutting diameter if it's going to be accurate, and the Montecs have been accurate from my Phoenix (and my friend's Phoenix). It just seems like some hits (he was shooting from the ground on that buck) that are well up in the lungs on entry and exit take a while to leave blood. From a tree stand, with a low exit it's usually a different story. :wink:
wabi
masboy

Post by masboy »

very accurate and all spin tested great. not much of blood trail from deer for me. held up well after shooting thru deer and buried in the ground and not real sharp when I got them. I could not get them sharp as I would like with the angle of the blades .
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you are looking at the Montec look at the SS Snuffer while you're at it.
http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/categories/Snuffer-SS/
Some people just like stepping on rakes
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I tried the Montecs they were ok . But i like the NAP Hellrasers a little better. I can get them a little sharper than the G5's. They both shot great I haven't shot anything with them yet. But have killed a few with the old snuffers and a trad bow. They should work just as good. The Magnus that Boo is talking about is on my list to try.