The chicken coop is finished (pic heavy)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bugs

The chicken coop is finished (pic heavy)

Post by bugs »

As you know I basically ignored turkey season this year and built a chicken coop. Well I had help but I did do 50% of the work. I really couldnt afford all of this but I want to be as self sufficent as possible and I missed having chickens. After getting some birds I also ended up with 3 golden pheasant chics. I know nothing about them but have been learning and apparently I will be working on a pheasant pen in the next few months :lol: I have 2 buff bantam hens and a rooster, an americana hen and rooster, a seabright bantam who I hope is a hen, and a hen that I thought was a buff with a chic but she doesnt have feathered legs so maybe not :shock: Oh well story of my life, a hodge podge of happy animals :lol:

The Front

The back with a solar panel for an led light inside and a door that a wheel barrow can go under to slide out the shavings

I wanted a pet hen, this is Shelly a Sebright Bantam
I hope it is a hen because I see a small spur but apparently that can be possible

The inside of the coop. The walls, floors and gable ends insulated just not the roof.

The Americana rooster and a hen with her chic

The Buff Brahama's

The Golden Pheasant Chics

To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
georgiaboy

Re: The chicken coop is finished (pic heavy)

Post by georgiaboy »

That's a nice chicken coop...great job!! :D :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

That coop looks great. Got tenants and all. Good job Tara! :)
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Nice coop Tara . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Looks like the Feathered Hilton, sharp looking and some fine fowl there too.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
masboy

Post by masboy »

That,s one nice looking coop! them chickens are lucky to have such a nice home!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Great job! It look awesome!!!! Love home grown eggs - so much better than store bought.

Enjoy your new "pets"! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Normous

Post by Normous »

How's your shooting been? Still dead on to deal with a crafty fox that may be tempted? Don't miss!
I will add that the coop looks great! and Mmmmmm fresh eggs are the best.
Any bunnies?
Last edited by Normous on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Awesome chicken coop! Very well thought out! Watch those Golden pheasents, there pretty mean and nasty to eack other and other birds.
Crispy
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Very Nice! Mighty fancy chicken coop! Hope you made it fox proof! Now you need 6 guinea hens!
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Very nice coop Bugs! I am new to chickens, just got 4 more a couple days ago, up to 14 now, and a rooster. My coop is just an old hunting blind we converted.. Now I think it's time to upgrade.
Yours is one of the nicest I have seen.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
TB

Post by TB »

Very nice coop. I'm just getting started with them also. Is that a solar panel at the peak for lighting?
Mark Rainbolt

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

That is one Fine looking coop Tara!!!! Yep I like chickens too, like watching chasing bugs and snakes. I have Rhode Island Reds they were in the yard one day when a stray cat walked thru the yard them chickens chase that cat all the way down to the bottom hay field they wanted to put a whoopin on that old catI twas hilarious to see!!!
God Bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Wow! Great job! Looks better than some cabins I've stayed in.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
bugs

Post by bugs »

Thanks everyone! I think I will get a sign made that says “The Feathered Hilton”. I think it is the nicest coop I have seen too and it is much better than my old ex horse stall that was part of the shed with a dirt floor.

I already had some of the wood, chicken wire, insulation and plexiglass left over from other jobs It was much cheaper than buying a non smaller insulated coop or redoing the inside of a shed and dealing with the platform plus you would still have to build a run. I am back to being broke and having food and gas money but I have chickens :lol:

I have only seen one fox which was 5 km up the road and that was 16 years ago, I have never seen one around the house or out in the woods nor any sign of one. Actually in all the years I have lived there I usually only have bunnies, snakes, rats and muskrats. I have only seen 2 racoons, one opossum, 2 skunks, 2 weasels, 2 squirrels. Most live back in the woods where they should be. When I had my old coop I had a problem with a weasel and rats. Lucky for my Chester is not a fan of critters and bays anytime he sees so much as a cat in my yard. Prepared to quickly unlock the .22 if needed.

Enormous, I once had rabbits about 14 yrs ago but I could never eat a pet bunny and I could no longer afford extra animals at the time so I gave them to someone who raised angoras and they let mine live in their heated barn.

Crispy, you have to help me out here – I thought Goldens got along pretty well? What should I be watching for? They are only with the chickens for the first 2-3 months while I get the run built but I didn’t know they would be nasty to each other. They are nice to me, they come close to me but stay about 1 ft away so I cant catch them.

DaGriz, I thought of Guinea Hens but they are kind of noisy and they take off a lot so I hear

TB, that is a solar panel I got at CDN Tire for $34 on sale. It came with the panel and an LED light that hangs and you press it on and off. But you can get extra lights and hook up 2 at a time. I find this is enough with the windows in the coop and it should work well enough to provide some extra winter lighting. It is a good south location so as long as there is sun it will charge well.

I still need a good idea for keeping water from freezing in the winter.
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol: