Hiking with a cocked bow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mb5200

Hiking with a cocked bow

Post by mb5200 »

Being new to crossbows I was wondering if anyone has there bow cocked while hiking.
Raymond

Re: Hiking with a cocked bow

Post by Raymond »

Hello MB5200,
I do have my crossbow cocked while I am walking into my hunting location. If it is in my hands I have an arrow on the deck ready to take a shot if I need to also.
Raymond
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

I do hike with my bow cocked at times, But i don't have a bolt in it, I like being on the safe side, :wink: I have had more than my share of accidents, :shock: while hunting, :roll: :roll: But to each thier own, IF,,,, you feel safe doing something then by all means do so.!!! :wink: JMHO :D

Dave :wink:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

Just curious, what does one do with a crossbow while hiking?
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

If I was able to hunt like I used to, I would be hiking deep into a hardwood ridges where I used to go and I would have the crossbow slung over my back and not cocked. But the distance that I travel now it is cocked and loaded. If it is a ladder or tower stand I remove the arrow and haul up the crossbow once I am at the top. Then I put an arrow on the deck once I am seat and ready.
Raymond
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Most of the time I'm in route to my stand before day light and my bow is cocked, have no reason to load a stick til I'm in my stand and can see what I'm going to shoot, be safe not sorry

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
rayman

Post by rayman »

I cock the bow just before leaving the truck and wait to put a bolt in until settled in the stand. Take the bolt back out before coming down and uncock the bow at the truck.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I usually have a rubber band around the stock which I flip up over the safety as extra security for carrying it cocked and loaded.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

i cock mine when i leave truck in morning but no arrow till iam in stand! afternoon hunt i will put arrow in when i leave truck but take it out when pulling up into stand!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

When i leave the truck or out of my door to go hunting it will be cocked,loaded and when i get back to the truck or my back yard i unload the arrow and decock. Would hate to see a monster and have no arrow on deck then dry fire
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

VixChix wrote:I usually have a rubber band around the stock which I flip up over the safety as extra security for carrying it cocked and loaded.
Nice, thanks for the tip! I hunt with a climbing stand, so it is on my back and bow in my hand, cocked, locked and loaded!
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i like the idea of the rubber band. i pulled my bow up once it was in the fire position there was no arrow in it .still could do give you a serious hurt with just the string going off if your was in the wrong place. great idea bob
Dash

Post by Dash »

The crossbow is way easier to carry uncocked, as I carry it stock in one hand and bow over the shoulder. But once closer to my spot or higher probability of seeing game, then I cock the bow, safety on, but no arrow in. If your moving through tight bush with the bow on bad angles, twicks flicking you its easy for an arrow to become unlodged,or to trip up, so I prefer to place the arrow only once in position or I've spotted what I want to take down. I hunt on private land and owe it to the landowner as well as myself to play it safe.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Maybe I am missing the boat completely but is hiking with a crossbow not called hunting? Not going to fire ten dollar arrows at a pop can or a piece of garbage I find along the way.
I go for a walk in the bush, I just take a .22 with me as crossbow is way more of a workout than this old body needs. Oh to be young again! LOL
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

rayman wrote:I cock the bow just before leaving the truck and wait to put a bolt in until settled in the stand. Take the bolt back out before coming down and uncock the bow at the truck.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol: