O T Blk Jack Oak

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

O T Blk Jack Oak

Post by vixenmaster »

This here tree were blockin the sun to my solar panels, so i cut it down. It were about 35' from cabin.
Here is our puggle Josey & you can see how close the cabin was, i notched the tree fer it to fall like i wanted it too.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
agingcrossbower

Re: O T Blk Jack Oak

Post by agingcrossbower »

Laid that out just right. :D looks like you could get a log or two out of it. Cool.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Good job on the offender tree.
Will keep you warm this winter.
I also see the heart rot in it.
I would recommend leaving a bigger hinge on future cuts.
Alls good when they land where they are supposed to.
I have at times had to use a rope and winch to persuade a tree where the crown was heavy in an unfavourable direction.
Funny though that Josey does not look impressed. :lol:
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
rayman

Post by rayman »

Ont_Excal wrote:Funny though that Josey does not look impressed.
Takes more than that to impress a dog named after Josey Whales. Dad-blasted black jacks are bad about having heart rot. Nearly broke my back trying to saw a big limb out of one to keep from busting up a fence. Had to go to physical therapy for 2 weeks. They make the very best fire wood though. :) :)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

hankenhunter wrote:I can see about fifty bows. What tree are you fellas talkin about? :lol:
Hank
Ain't no tree thar just firewood waitin on the masters hand to create it usin his Sthil chainsaw :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Good job Mike, that will make a lot of firewood, to keep you and the miss' warm this winter, :D Can't beat those Stihl chainsaws, BUT, thier only as good as the person useing it,, :wink: and it looks like you do !!!!!!!!

Dave :D
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Ont_Excal wrote:Good job on the offender tree.
Will keep you warm this winter.
I also see the heart rot in it.
I would recommend leaving a bigger hinge on future cuts.
Alls good when they land where they are supposed to.
I have at times had to use a rope and winch to persuade a tree where the crown was heavy in an unfavourable direction.
Funny though that Josey does not look impressed. :lol:
I have a 6 ton cable n shackle & a 2 ton come-along & a wedge n sledge & a 2 1/2 ton Burb all pullin on my side when i need them! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

papa bear1 wrote:Good job Mike, that will make a lot of firewood, to keep you and the miss' warm this winter, :D Can't beat those Stihl chainsaws, BUT, thier only as good as the person useing it,, :wink: and it looks like you do !!!!!!!!

Dave :D
I have cut many a cord of wood n trees wid me 180 Sthil. I am thinkin its time to get a 350 as the 180 wears out chains n bars really quick!
Half Bubble Off BD360

strum

Post by strum »

thats a pretty nice kill there Mike ..how are ya going to cook it :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

2 ways open pit & vogelzane either will be prime! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Hollow center sure makes 'em easier to split!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I'm findin most of my mature trees do have heart rot or the carpenter ants get into them n cause it. Don't knowed that much about the trees here, every big'un has them black carpenter ants inside of them when i have cut one or wind durin storms take them down
Half Bubble Off BD360

Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

vixenmaster wrote: I have cut many a cord of wood n trees wid me 180 Sthil. I am thinkin its time to get a 350 as the 180 wears out chains n bars really quick!
Bigger chainsaw will not help in the wear of the chain and bar.
The only thing you can do is use quality chain oil. Use winter chain oil only. It does a better job of lubrication and keeping the chain clean.

This is from wikipedia.
The wood is very dense, so much so that it will rapidly dull chainsaws. The density of the wood causes a very hot flame when burned, which functions as an excellent source of heat for barbecues and wood-burning stoves.
The black oak is part of the red oak family but not as long lived or as healthy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackjack_oak
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
rayman

Post by rayman »

Not to sound like a smart arse, a number of oak trees species are commonly referred to as blackjack oak including turkey oak, bluejack oak, post oak, southern red oak, true blackjack oak, and a hand full of others. We had a lot of turkey oaks in my yard growing up, which everybody called blackjack, and nearly every one of them that I ever cut down had heart rot. Made darn good firewood though. :)
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

rayman wrote:Not to sound like a smart arse, a number of oak trees species are commonly referred to as blackjack oak including turkey oak, bluejack oak, post oak, southern red oak, true blackjack oak, and a hand full of others. We had a lot of turkey oaks in my yard growing up, which everybody called blackjack, and nearly every one of them that I ever cut down had heart rot. Made darn good firewood though. :)
The turkey oak gets it's common name because of the shape of the leaf as it looks like a turkey foot.

Common names rarely refer to a specific tree species.

Blackjack oak.........................Quercus marilandica
Post oak.................................Quercus stellata
Turkey Oak............................Quercus cerris

All oaks make very good firewood and others like beech and hickory also make good firewood.