Year of the Corn

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MarkMarine

Year of the Corn

Post by MarkMarine »

Year of the Corn...or supplements. If ever there was a year to augment the natural browse of the deer herd here in the Midwest (as I'm sure in other parts of North America) then this is it. The Heat Wave became something more when the temperatures rose disproportionately to the rain that fell. The Drought of 2012 is the worst in my 50 some odd years.

In essence, the acorns which have made up the bulk of forage in years past will not produce this season in time to sustain the Herd. What acorns the old growth oaks will provide will be diminished in size and, thus, in nutritional value. A Herd that has grown accustomed to being fed will soon scrounge the forest floor for the crumbs the squirrels cached from yesteryear.

And so, the deer must be supplemented in their foodstuffs.

But what about Food Plots?

It does not take a botanist to tell you if the farmers/ranchers are only getting one cut of hay from their fields/pastures this year where afore they were cutting three times per season...that the Food Plots can fare no better. Excepting what is irrigated, the plants simply cannot flourish with too much sun and too little water.

Corn, pellets, and access to water are going to be vital in insuring your deer remain on your land. Salt and mineral blocks share an increased importance, as well. To not act now, only to wait until hunting season and use attractants which smell of food will perhaps decoy some desiccated deer in, but will be of no benefit to any but the hunter. The dehydrated animals that survive will face breeding season and its inherent rigors, a Winter which may prove as extreme as this Summer, and then pregnant does of Spring and their fledgling fawns.

As hunters, we must act today to assist in the feeding of the animals to hunt Tomorrow. Weak, malnourished deer are prone to disease and predation much more readily than those healthy and whole. I hope others here have considered the weather now; because whether or not you do, will have an impact of the success of the species and viability of the harvest.

PS: CSPOT inspired this as I read a post of his in another forum discussing acorns.
wabi

Re: Year of the Corn

Post by wabi »

I plan to start feeding (corn) by the middle of August.

Not to make light of your concern and the situation, but I'll also try to help by taking out a few individuals to relieve the stress on the rest of the herd as soon as season arrives. :twisted: :lol:
wabi
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

I checked with the feed dealer a day or so ago and it appears that the price of shelled corn is going to be out of sight. Corn growing has been severely hit by lack of moisture and the crop looks very bad Speculators are all ready buying futures planning on a huge rise is cost due to very low production. Prediction is it will hit in excess of $10.75 per 50lbs by fall. Right now it is at $8.70 per 50lbs and that is outrageous. Feeding corn is going to be a bit rough for those who have a declining income , like myself. Apple crop looks dismal and I think that the cabbage crop is suffering for little or no moisture. If you have food plots and can irrigate them you may be in good shape Those that depend on buying feed are not going to be happy
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I feed yr around regardless of cost of bags of corn. I'm going through 4 bags a month, but the family of masked Bandits & a Full Company of tree rats are certainly abusin my meals on wheels program! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Corn is allready 10.75-11.00 a 50 here,has been since last season. My deer get fed pretty much year round but must think they are on "Slim-Fast" as far as I have got the feeders turned down.Racoons and squirrels and birds get their share but now we have hogs too.They not only eat your deer corn but they root around the feeder and knock 'em over,tear up the units trying to get to the grain, etc. I have somewhat of a personal vendeta w/ the pigs.
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Wabi, I plan on trying to releave a few of their hunger as well LOL

Darryl, I know, money is tight and the feed store is auful quick on the draw with their price guns.

Mike, I'd be happy to go all Daniel Boone with you. Fetch a string of currs, some good lanterns, and hit the midnight woods lol

Flightattendent...sounds like the hogs are running wild down there. Is it open season year long on them? Or are you talking about wild hogs or those havelinas?
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Mark, the hogs are feral hogs and we had very few if any on the place we hunt until just a few years ago. Once they moved in, its amazing how fast they multiply. Got all sizes and colors. I thought it was fun when we just had a few.... it aint fun no more!
The javalinas are quite a bit south or quite a bit west of us. I have been down close to the border hunting them a time or three. Its completely different country than where we hunt and lots of fun, but they aint very big or very good to eat( we give 'em to the hispanics for tacos and such)That part of the state also has some huge whitetails too though,so lots of fun to go and see.
Flswampwalker

Post by Flswampwalker »

our prices are around $11.00 a bag. I only saving grace is a bulk plant that will start Selling corn by the 50 gallon drums for around $40.00. He owns his corn fields about 1,000 acres.

Still I am down to two feeders one at the house and one at the 50 acres where I hunt. Had to cut back.

I will lose archery season due to a knee replacement. Go luck to everyone this hunting season.
Equinox
Axiom
Gold Tip IV
100 gr. Spitfires
FFF string
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

vixenmaster wrote:I feed yr around regardless of cost of bags of corn. I'm going through 4 bags a month, but the family of masked Bandits & a Full Company of tree rats are certainly abusin my meals on wheels program! :lol:

X2 Mike :(
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Flightattendant, the feral hogs seemed to have followed the armadillos north. We have them both in Missouri now - but the hogs are shy, well, at least "gun shy" LOL I imagine the wreak some havoc on your land and crops. Sounds like they need some holes poked in them.

SwampWalker, bad weather + hard times = lean season. Hope it all works out for you when you can get out in the woods.

Papa Bear, good to see you still kicking clods on the sunny side :)
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I hunt on a military base so feeding, mineral licks, corn or food plots are strictly off limits!!! :evil:
It's been very dry here so i don't think the acorns will be good this year & what trees do produce i'm sure the hogs ( base covered with them ) will try to run the deer off. May be a rough year. :(
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
joe171

Post by joe171 »

That thread started by Mark..............is one of the most interesting I have had the pleasure too read in a very long time
even more interesting was the input by the other members contributions as too the dilemma in the southern USA
I am a Canadian and was not aware of the situation

Thank All of You for A great post

Joe171
xsh0tya

Post by xsh0tya »

joe171 wrote:That thread started by Mark..............is one of the most interesting I have had the pleasure too read in a very long time
even more interesting was the input by the other members contributions as too the dilemma in the southern USA
I am a Canadian and was not aware of the situation

Thank All of You for A great post

Joe171
+1
New to this world and trying to learn as much as possible good to see folks caring and seeing the big picture.
I imagine that they let you go after those hogs whenever as they are such a problem.
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

Georgia Boy, perhaps someone in the Maintenance division on that base needs made aware of the situation? I am sure that wildlife management may not be in their Orders of The Day or even SOPs - BUT, they have the funding and the means to provide for the wildlife taking up residence on their post and owe it to the MWR Vets as part of that program.

Joe, high praise indeed. As you said, the responses were (and continue to be) quite enlightening. Thanks for your comment.

xsh, welcome to the forum and feel free to add to any & all topics which peak your interest.
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Going after those hogs is sometimes easier said than done . They are alot smarter than people think !
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only