Wild Pigs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rej

Wild Pigs

Post by rej »

Recently I was doing a pre-season walk in a hard to access area. Came across very fresh sign I did not recognize. When I stood up I spotted a Pig with exaggerated dental about 15 yd. away. Did not have time for camera before he left me standing there, amazed. First Nations People later told me that during an economic depression many domestic pigs were let loose. They are now considered a nuisance animal and can be harvested at will.

All I can guess about them is they are smart, tough and adaptable. They share those hills back there with Grizzly and Black bear, Wolves, Puma and survive winter temps that can go below -30C.

Need advice from you Southern Xbow hunters as to how to harvest them. Not even sure what is correct aim point. First Nations people have told me they can be extremely agressive.
georgiaboy

Re: Wild Pigs

Post by georgiaboy »

I knew it was a matter of time before porky made it to Canuckastan!! :lol: :lol:
Your kill zone on porky is behind the shoulder...aim low & forward. If the hog has any size to him & you hit him in the shield you stand a good chance of just pissing him off. If it's a marginal shot give them plenty of time, they will usually go lay down in the thickest stuff they can find. If you bump him up blood trailing they will go into another zip code on you.
If you do trail one into the thick stuff be very very careful...they WILL run your arse up a tree :!: Don't ask me how i know!! :mrgreen: :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
rayman

Post by rayman »

If you are allowed to bait, they are usually pretty good about coming to corn.

You want to hunt from a tree if possible. (1) They can't see as good as deer but they can smell pretty good. (2)
georgiaboy wrote:they WILL run your arse up a tree Don't ask me how i know!!
Georgiaboy is right.

Georgiaboy is right about the kill zone too. Don't let your shot get too far back and stay away from the shoulder - wait for broadside or 1/4 away. Big boars have a thick grisly shield around the rib cage. I preffer a head shot with a rifle. Never tried a head shot with a Xbow.

Happy hog hunting. :)
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

Also being in GA and spending a LOT of time chasing hogs, everything Georgiaboy said is correct. i do two things when i hog hunt...

LOW and Forward shots...
after a marginal shot, wait 2-3 hours before tracking
after a good shot, wait 30+ minutes (normally 45 mins but most of our hogs fall within sight)
carry a sidearm...
be able to climb! i haven't yet, but i have known people to be chased up a tree, a 200+ lb hog with big cutters will tear you up fierce.

other htan that... typical deer setup... i prefer using fixed blades on hogs.. there skin is pretty thick. they also bleed a lot... kind of like a stuck... hog.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Imagehope your pig problem does not get this bad. whack em and stack em.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Hogs heart lays low in chest, let hog expose that area n zap it. I have killed them from tree stands n stalked them. They can become very aggressive if'en shot its not a good kill shot. Most the time they will run away from you, be careful in thickets once you shoot one. If'en they were charging ppl. everytime we go into the woods i would be walkin on my kneecaps. I use to hunt them varmits every Fall around Pearl River swamp n Lake Mary down Home
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

X2! On the baiting u might try draggin some sow in heat lure to drag out to your bait sight it has worked down here in mo but it will usually just attract boars
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Flswampwalker

Post by Flswampwalker »

:twisted: X2 One of the best baits is very very soured corn. Deer will not touch the soured corn, but the pigs love it. I put corn in a 5 gallon bucket and cover the corn with water. wait a week and it will smell bad.
Equinox
Axiom
Gold Tip IV
100 gr. Spitfires
FFF string
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Flswampwalker wrote::twisted: X2 One of the best baits is very very soured corn. Deer will not touch the soured corn, but the pigs love it. I put corn in a 5 gallon bucket and cover the corn with water. wait a week and it will smell bad.
Add some yeast culture to cracked corn and warm water and the corn will sour in less than 3 days.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
xsh0tya

Post by xsh0tya »

UPSMAN wrote:Imagehope your pig problem does not get this bad. whack em and stack em.
You might need a machine gun for that one, or a grenade launcher. :twisted:
rej

Post by rej »

Canuckastan!? Gotta like that :lol: Thanks to all for the good info. I gather what we have here is an APC on feet with a tight kill zone. We can bait here but cannot carry a sidearm but my tree climbing is still good. Will wait for the good shot. In that country longest shot would be 25 yd. I am using firebolts with bolt cutters from a vortex with excalibur FFF string. I think that will get it done. So........in the spirit of this thread.........I shall go out and......"whack em and stack em"..........being mindful of the temperment of this animal.Again, thank you all.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Pick a sow, better eating, easier to kill [no shield] ect. Cheaper for me, lol..........
"Eze 18:21"
rej

Post by rej »

georgiaboy wrote:I knew it was a matter of time before porky made it to Canuckastan!! :lol: :lol:
Your kill zone on porky is behind the shoulder...aim low & forward. If the hog has any size to him & you hit him in the shield you stand a good chance of just pissing him off. If it's a marginal shot give them plenty of time, they will usually go lay down in the thickest stuff they can find. If you bump him up blood trailing they will go into another zip code on you.
If you do trail one into the thick stuff be very very careful...they WILL run your arse up a tree :!: Don't ask me how i know!! :mrgreen: :lol:
Went out after work today and tried 3 or 4 trees. Not taking your warning lightly but it seemed like a good idea and was fun. BTW, did you leave your Excalibur on the ground :?:
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I've been run up a tree once...happened so fast i threw my 300 win mag on the ground!!! :lol: :lol:
When they lay in the thick stuff you won't see them till it's to late sometimes...self perseverance kicks in, no time to think you just react. That boar hog was on a dead run at less than ten feet before i saw him!! :shock:
I got charged by a wounded sow two years ago and my nephew shot her ( 7mm ) at less than twenty feet before i could get my bow up.
Most wounded hogs will try to run from you but if they feel cornered they will come at you. And remember a sow can hurt you just as bad as a boar.
Good luck & be safe.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"