Which bow is right for me? Alternative Answer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MarkMarine

Which bow is right for me? Alternative Answer

Post by MarkMarine »

The question of crossbow selection comes up again and again on this forum so often that it seems no sooner is one answered than another materializes. Though we do not mind answering (as the membership is proud of anything & everything Excalibur) it does tend to become repetitive after awhile.

So much so that, Excalibur has a section devoted to answering the question of which crossbow may be right for you(found in the blue border on the left). It illustrates the different models and their recommended animal/target applications. Though it has been there for some time now, still the questions are posted on this forum . Why? Perhaps because such questioners seek the answers from someone who actually uses these bows (not realizing Bill & Kath are hunters first & foremost lol). I do not know.

I do know that they also have a section Arrow Performance which provides bolt/arrow ballistics. That image can be found to the left of this forum as well. You can look at the chart of that section and determine what a bolt traveling at such & such fps will deliver in energy as well as trajectory. Then, take those models whose ft/sec corresponds and you will get an idea of what to expect.

By examination of those trajectories, it would seem that to choose anything other than a bow traveling at 350 fps would be to settle for something statistically inferior, yes? However, other factors must be weighed. The more speed = the more energy = the greater stress + noise + vibration + length of pull + weight & overall bow size.

Thus, the faster does not necessarily translate into the "better". Here is a more realistic comparison of the varying bows:

150 lb Draw: Ideal for smaller frame hunters as it has the least length of pull. Lightweight and easier to draw than higher poundage bows. Much easier to maneuver around obstacles when taking that critical shot whether in a ground blind or treestand. Much less noise upon that shot. Strings & Servings will last longer on this bow than all other hunting crossbows. Great for the woods where shots are normally under 30 yards. Suitable for any North American game with the understanding that you may have to climb a tree from a stuck hog or run like hell from a wounded bruin.

175 lb Draw: The perfect combination of length of pull and arrow speed. A little harder to draw by hand than the 150 lb crossbow, but not enough to deter the average adult. Higher arrow speeds equate to flatter trajectories extending the range of this as an effective hunting tool beyond the woods. Suitable for all North American and African Plains game with the understanding that you may have to climb a tree from a stuck hog or run like hell from a wounded bruin. It is POSSIBLE to use on the Big 5 so long as you don't mind risking a Deep 6!

200 lb Draw: Much harder to draw than either the 150 or 175 lb crossbows. A cocking aid is recommended. More noise than lower poundage bows, but faster flight equates to less reaction time to that noise. Though servings and strings may not outlast the lower poundage bows, they last exponentially longer than the higher draw weight. Though 25 lbs less draw weight than the highest Excalibur, it only equates to 20 fps less in arrow speed and lot less vibration. Suitable for all game with the understanding that you may have to climb a tree from a stuck hog or run like hell from a wounded bruin or ticked off buffalo.

225 lb Draw: The present pinnacle of Excalibur arrow speeds. However, that speed comes at a price: draw weight. A cocking aid is strongly recommended. The benefit of the flatter trajectories is not marked enough to realistically justify the increased poundage over a 200 lb bow to any except Target applications - there's just not enough difference in any hunting application. Suitable for all game with the understanding that you may have to climb a tree from a stuck hog or run like hell from a wounded bruin or ticked off buffalo.

The above, of course, will not appease everyone - even Excalibur may voice exception. It is only the opinion of this author and is offered as an acceptable answer to the inevitable, "Which crossbow is right for me?"

NOTE: add to the above variables the "feel right" factor. Some bows (regardless of speed) just feel more suited to a particular archer than others. The simple fact is, if it doesn't "FEEL RIGHT" against your shoulder then it is certainly the wrong model in your hands. So choose one which does; after all, you're the one who'll be shooting it.

Addendum: the above assumes a level of common sense on behalf of the hunter wherein appropriate bolt/broadhead combinations are used on the prospective species. IE: If, let's say, Charles Bloke were to use a Judo point on a 2214 to hunt a rhino then Charlie shouldn't be surprised when he actually does get the horn right up the chocolate factory! :twisted:
xsh0tya

Re: Which bow is right for me? Alternative Answer

Post by xsh0tya »

Another impressive post keep up the good work! :D
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Well done Mark.

And I'm relieved that you are back to suggesting using judo points on wild game.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

one shot scott wrote:Well done Mark.

And I'm relieved that you are back to suggesting using judo points on wild game.
Well, Neil, seeing as how the closest to Africa I am likely to get is by making a wrong turn in St Louis, I am sure the quarry of the other aritcle will be the more likely candidate for a judo chop LOL I must confess though, I like those rubber stopper looking small game heads to tame the more unruly or wayward denizens of my locale :-P
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

BTT
Mark did a really great job on this. Sadly it's his second last post on this forum. You have an excellent way with words mark, and your writing skills are magnificent. Having to deal with the loss of eyesight would be tough for anyone, but especially for someone with such great writing skills. I wish you the best my friend and I hope that some how they are able to somehow reverse the effects on your eyes. Your in our(my family's) prayers.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
the elf

Post by the elf »

Well said ,and good to see from a users perspective not company handouts.
Normous

Post by Normous »

This is very helpful to the Newbies and can be used as a "Sticky". Thanks Mark.
My hope is that your situation improves.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

This statement could not be more true!

NOTE: add to the above variables the "feel right" factor. Some bows (regardless of speed) just feel more suited to a particular archer than others. The simple fact is, if it doesn't "FEEL RIGHT" against your shoulder then it is certainly the wrong model in your hands. So choose one which does; after all, you're the one who'll be shooting it.

This is why I went through 3 excals & the IBEX is the one that fit me like a glove...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.