Does every Excalibur shoot everything well?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

epd1102

Does every Excalibur shoot everything well?

Post by epd1102 »

I just bought a new Excalibur Exomax a few weeks ago. It came with three of the 20" carbon Excalibur Firebolt arrows. Since I still have a lot of arrows left from years ago when I shot archery with short arrows on bows with overdraws, I also cut down some 2213 aluminum arrows to 20" and also to 18.25".
18.25" seems to be the shortest that will fit on my Exomax and my Thunderhead 125 broadheads will clear the riser. I also cut down some 2013 aluminum arrows to 18.25".
My problem is that all of these arrows all shoot very well. I can't tell that the 2013s aren't stiff enough since they are shooting extremely accurately with the broadheads. All of the arrows shoot into about a 3" group at 50 yards. The 2213s hit about 6" lower at 50 yards using the same sight picture compared to the 2013s.
Before I cut down any more arrows to 18.25", is there any problem with going that short if I'm using fixed-blade broadheads? I could maybe see a problem if I were using mechanicals and they opened prematurely because the blades could hit the crossbow's riser.
I also don't see any problems with the arrow weights being too low. The carbon 20" Firebolt arrows weigh 390 grains on my scales. The 20" 2213s weigh 415 grains and the 19" 2013s weigh 360 grains; all counting the 125-grain broadheads. All of the arrows are fletched with 4" Duravanes.
I appreciate any input or suggestions. As of right now, I'm probably going to use the 2213s for deer hunting and maybe the 2013s for just playing around to see how they hold up. If they keep flying well and seem to handle the power, I may try them for deer season next year.
strum

Re: Does every Excalibur shoot everything well?

Post by strum »

i say that if they work well use em..the thing to think about is does the string sit in the center of your nock..if the shaft is two small the string will sit high and can jump the arrow causing a partial dryfire..and if the shaft is two big the string may slip under..
i never tried a 2213 thinking its to small..but hey if its workin ..its workin..
oh also try not to get too light..you start using those 18 1/2 inch arrows youll need to make sure you have a head big enough so you end up with more than 350gr..

sorry i reread and see you done checked your weight..
buttttt.. i still feel that 360 is too light..just my opinion
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

The 2213's are fine I shoot those too at 350gr, the 2013's maybe as strum said about the serving being center on the nock watch that one close, they shoot flat don't they, and do not go below 350grs on your arrows shoot safe. Excals are the boss

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
TB

Post by TB »

Big problem with short arrows when you are putting your boot in the stirrup to let down your bow you MIGHT forget to take out the arrow and lower the arrow right into your foot. Just like dry fire or keeping your fingers below the rail it just might/will happen. With the longer arrow your boot will brush it reminding you. I've been shooting excalibur since they been made so I'm reasonably experienced but it does/will happen. Great learning experence though.
epd1102

Post by epd1102 »

Strum, my string rides right on the riser so it's pretty centered on all of the arrows that I've used so far. I will keep that in mind though.

Limbs and Sticks, how do you get a 2213 down to 350 grains? Mine are 415 grains with a 125-grain broadhead. A 100-grain broadhead would get me down to 390. Can I really shave that much weight if I'd go to shorter vanes instead of the 4" vanes? The 360-grain 2013s do fly very flat.

TB, thanks for putting the thought into my head of driving a broadhead through my foot. My foot hurts just thinking about that. Ouch!
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

epd1102 wrote:Limbs and Sticks, how do you get a 2213 down to 350 grains? Mine are 415 grains with a 125-grain broadhead. A 100-grain broadhead would get me down to 390. Can I really shave that much weight if I'd go to shorter vanes instead of the 4" vanes? The 360-grain 2013s do fly very flat.
The length is 18 1/2'' long 100gr. bh, 3or4'' feathers, this is how I build them.
To unload carry a arrow with a field pt and shoot it in the ground :?:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
darkhollowarcher

Post by darkhollowarcher »

I have been shooting the same excal exocet for the past 8 years , and to answer your question , yes mine shoots anything i try with very little difference in point of aim or performance.
May you be in heaven three days before the devil knows your dead
strum

Post by strum »

[quote="epd1102"]Strum, my string rides right on the riser so it's pretty centered on all of the arrows that I've used so far. I will keep that in mind though.

:D its not where the string sits..as it should ride on the deck..its the dia of the shaft. if its small it sits deeper in the channel and big sits higher..
sounds like you got some great shooting arrows..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
joe171

Post by joe171 »

Big John is the guy you want too talk to
PM BigJohn
:D :D :D
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The longer the arrow the higher it's ballistic coefficient, that's what enables longer projectiles to 'glide' further.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!