Make Your own bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tucker1

Make Your own bolts

Post by Tucker1 »

does anybody here make their own bolts. Is is cheaper? how hard is it? what is the best jig out there? And finally where do you get the supplies. Thanks
Hester0305

Re: Make Your own bolts

Post by Hester0305 »

I make my own bolts. I made a dozen of Carbon Express Pile Drivers 350's at 20 inches. I put regular Carbon Express aluminum inserts in the back on my arrow just like what comes from Excalibur. These arrows weigh a little on the light side at 388 grs. but they shoot great. They are also fletched with 2 inch Blazers which I like better than 4 inch vanes. On Archery Talk I've seen several arrows built that are heavier than mine that were the Full Metal Jacket arrows. I just experimented with some arrows I already had for my vertical bow and they worked out great.

I haven't shot at a deer with them yet but My brother and I killed 2 turkeys with them this past spring. Deer season opens in about 3 weeks and I'll get to try them out.

Good luck
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
roly

Post by roly »

I find making my own arrows is half the
fun, and making to many never seems wrong.

there are lots of places to buy your supplies
I like Wyverns, great guy to deal with.

I have several fletchers, but like a lot of other members I have been useing the Bolt fletcher
works great.

Then you could always treat your self to some custom made arrows :D :D
diesel

Post by diesel »

I get my stuff from Bow Hunter Super Store through ebay save some on shipping they always have what I need and the service is great.
I like to build mine cause I weight all the arrows the same get to set my FOC use the colors and fletching I want. :wink:
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Tucker1 wrote:does anybody here make their own bolts. Is is cheaper? how hard is it? what is the best jig out there? And finally where do you get the supplies. Thanks
I have been making mine for a long time now. I prefer the AZ-EZ Fletch and I like the Loctite gel super glue for the vanes and a two part epoxy for the inserts.

They are not hard to make it just takes some practice and attention to detail.

You will find some good info here:
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=24678

As far as tools go you will need:
A fletching jig. As mentioned above I use the AZ-EZ Fletch that is set for a 4 degree right offset.

A scale.

A G5-ASD (Arrow Squaring Device) to make sure that the ends of the shaft are square. You can also use it to square the end of the insert after the arrow is assembled if needed.

I use an old bore brush to clean the inside of the shaft and a little acetone to wipe any oils from the outside of the shaft where the fletchings are going to go. Go easy on the acetone as it is a strong solvent.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
munch

Post by munch »

i just made up an extra dozen tonight .did them with white wraps 2 white and 1 red blazer vain. hope they show up real good passing threw a black bear and moose come sept 15th. knowing you shot a deer with an arrow you made yourself gives a great feeling a lot like rife or shotgun hand loads
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I make up my own. The great thing about it is that you aren't dependant upon a store or someone else if you need some, it's cheaper, and you can customize to whatever you like.

Here's some that I made up earlier in the year that will be in my quiver this year during deer/turkey season. :twisted:

The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

Those look awesome! Other than looks is there any advantage to using wraps? Any suggestions on where to get them?
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

bigredopie wrote:Those look awesome! Other than looks is there any advantage to using wraps? Any suggestions on where to get them?

Try onestringer, they do great work.

http://www.onestringer.com/
Team Dryfire
Tucker1

Post by Tucker1 »

Thanks guys again for all the good information. Amazing what Ive learned in the short time ive been on this sight.
Dash

Post by Dash »

Big58cal wrote:I make up my own. The great thing about it is that you aren't dependant upon a store or someone else if you need some, it's cheaper, and you can customize to whatever you like.

Here's some that I made up earlier in the year that will be in my quiver this year during deer/turkey season. :twisted:

Nice wraps, Just Passin through........ 8)
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I make my own as well. Mostly GT Lazers, with brass insert, Blazers or Fusion vanes. Not only gives me the weight, fletching I prefer but about less than 1/2 price of purchased arrows.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Yeah, I second Onestringer for the wraps. That's where I got those.

Thanks for the compliments folks! :D I think they look pretty cool myself, and we all know, if you can't look cool when you hunt, there's not much use going. 8) :roll: :lol:

As for the benefits of the wraps, it kind of depends on what kind you go with. I went with red and white wrap, with 2 white vanes and 1 red vane. With the GT Lazer II's being black, the addition of all of the white on the back end of the arrow helps me keep track of it in flight better. Not to mention, after it passes through a deer (hopefully.....), it will help me find the arrow. If you go with a darker wrap, then you're just going for the looks of it and it won't really serve any "functional" purpose.

Everyone has their own opinions on wraps as to whether or not to use them. I think they're cool and really add some character to the arrow, but I also want them to functional as well. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Cheaper . . .depends, initally, the cost is a slight factor because you need to purchase all the tools. After that, it's slightly cheaper . . .unless, you get into all the fancy wraps, testing all the different vanes, etc.

Where you will get the most benefit is in repairing your arrows, especially if you shoot a lot. I do more repairing than I do building.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
muhasamituffie

Post by muhasamituffie »

those things look unreal