The making of a Damascus steel knife

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

joe171

The making of a Damascus steel knife

Post by joe171 »

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=445_1345678228

This link is very interesting shows what is involved from start to finish of a knife after watching I don't know how Griz can sell them so inexpensively

Joe
papa bear1

Re: The making of a Damascus steel knife

Post by papa bear1 »

Its because he's a great guy ,,,, Not trying to get rich,I truely think he enjoys shareing his talents, with others,,,,,, :) :) :) And that impresses me !!!

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

papa bear1 wrote:Its because he's a great guy ,,,, Not trying to get rich,I truely think he enjoys shareing his talents, with others,,,,,, :) :) :) And that impresses me !!!

Thanks

I do enjoy making my knives and I do enjoy sharing them with interested people at a reasonable cost. I'm not making knives to make money. I try to break even on those I sell Most times that doesn't happen but it makes my heart smile to hear how most people like and enjoy my handwork
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

DaGriz wrote:
papa bear1 wrote:Its because he's a great guy ,,,, Not trying to get rich,I truely think he enjoys shareing his talents, with others,,,,,, :) :) :) And that impresses me !!!

Thanks

I do enjoy making my knives and I do enjoy sharing them with interested people at a reasonable cost. I'm not making knives to make money. I try to break even on those I sell Most times that doesn't happen but it makes my heart smile to hear how most people like and enjoy my handwork
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :wink:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
wabi

Post by wabi »

Video in the link brought back plenty of memories.
My dad was a blacksmith and I spent plenty of time in the shop when I was growing up.

As for getting rich, forget it when you make any hand-crafted items for sale. As Darrel indicated - if you break even on the cost of material & supplies you're doing good. :shock: :lol:
wabi
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Thanks

You are a good Man Darrel! :D
and you do make great Knives...
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

BeerNutz1960 wrote:Was watching the video and thinking about the number of folds in a damascus knife. if you start with 1 piece of steel it is folded over on itself (doubling the number) and pounded then the numbers should be (based on a single fold on itself)
1 / 2 / 4 / 8 / 16/ 32 / 64 / 128 / 256 / 512 / 1024 / etc.....

or if the are several layers to start with that are pounded together and then folded back on itself it would change

if you start with 3 pieces it goes
3 / 6 / 12 / 24 / 48 / 96 / 192 / 384 / 768 / etc....

Its early in the morning and my head is a bit foggy, but would this be reasonable?

Its a mystery to me how a pattern like the feather can be produced in damascus, it indeed is an art.

Time for breakfast and work.

Oh and Dagriz makes great knives of that there is no doubt.

Cheers

You are correct You double each time you fold Start out with four piece of two different steels, alternating in the stack.
Making feather is very complicated and hard to do darn near as hard to explain so I won't even try A simple explanation is the way you fold and hammer
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Can't say enuff about the work n talent DaGriz has makin his fine Knives
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
copperjohn

Post by copperjohn »

Mine is simply awesome. I get compliments on it all the time.
strum

Post by strum »

BeerNutz1960 wrote:You are correct You double each time you fold Start out with four piece of two different steels, alternating in the stack.
Making feather is very complicated and hard to do darn near as hard to explain so I won't even try A simple explanation is the way you fold and hammer

Well my hats off to you for being able to do it with such precision then.

Cheers
Good Health
i didnt realize you made the steel ..i guess i was thinking you used damascus blanks or somthing..my bad :shock:
all i know for sure is Darrel blessed me with one of his creations lats year and its one of my most prized possesion ..have i told you latley?
THANK YOU !!!!!
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16