AFTER THE SHOT

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

UPSMAN

AFTER THE SHOT

Post by UPSMAN »

One last stupid question for some of you folks with a lot of bow kills. Assuming that I make a quality Lung shot on a deer and it runs out of my visual range,how long should I wait before I start looking for my animal. I've seen the CRAP on TV where the guy comes back in the morning to search for the deer he shot at dusk the previous day. Folks,that aint going to work in S. Georgia. With all the coyotes we got, I would be lucky to find the antlers.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
vixenmaster

Re: AFTER THE SHOT

Post by vixenmaster »

When i hear the last noise from deer runnin & i am bad of hearin i start gettin out of my stand. I ck my arrow if'en i can find it fer blood. If'en i can't find my arrow i look fer blood comin out of deer. I follow slowly lookin hard fer my deer, i don't wait fer Yotes to eat my deer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Lawdawg45

Post by Lawdawg45 »

I'll answer from a handgun hunting perspective. If the Deer runs out of my visual, I usually wait about 30 minutes before starting the hunt. I agree on the overnight garbage, not counting the rotten and/or foul tasting meat, it would be decimated by Coyotes.

LD
Justice is the one thing you should always find.......Toby Keith
wabi

Post by wabi »

IF I know it was a good double lung or heart hit I'll climb down from the stand and check the arrow to confirm a good hit.
Then I walk to the landowner's garage (15-20 minutes) and get the tractor to haul it out. (or if the landowner is home I'll call him to bring the tractor & help me if I need it)
Park tractor at the stand and take up the blood trail.

The last 5 or 6 deer have gone down within sight or hearing, so it makes it even simpler. I'll call the landowner if he's home and have the deer field dressed when he gets there with the tractor. Back the tractor up to the deer, roll it on the carrier and haul it out.

I've yet to leave one overnight and recover any meat, but I've fed a few varmints in past years. :roll:
wabi
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I usually wait 30 minutes and then go check my arrow. I haven't killed any with crossbow but I've killed about 30 deer with compound bow.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

If i know it's a good hit i wait 15-20 minutes before i climb down, find my arrow & first blood then wait a few more minutes and take up the trail. Usually ends up being 30-40 minutes.
Hunting here in south georgia i know fully well how you feel. Where i hunt you have to worry about the yotes & the hogs. :evil:
If a pack of hogs find your deer they will also feed on it!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
frisky

Post by frisky »

vixenmaster wrote:When i hear the last noise from deer runnin & i am bad of hearin i start gettin out of my stand. I ck my arrow if'en i can find it fer blood. If'en i can't find my arrow i look fer blood comin out of deer. I follow slowly lookin hard fer my deer, i don't wait fer Yotes to eat my deer
X2
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

Since using my Excal, I have had the deer run out of sight, but not out of sound. I have heard them when they hit the ground. I still wait, at least for the adrenaline rush to subside. Then climb down my stand. And others have said, go find my arrow, then the deer.
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

No matter the hit, I'll wait 30 minutes before going to get my arrow and taking up the track. Once I get to my arrow I'll confirm what kind of hit I thought I saw. Based on what the arrow tells me, I'll either take up the track or go have a seat. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
xsh0tya

Post by xsh0tya »

Sorry new to this as well... but why the wait is it for the animal to feel safe and stop fleeing and drop or is it because a wounded animal is so dangerous? Or something else cool, I don't know about?
Lawdawg45

Post by Lawdawg45 »

xsh0tya wrote:Sorry new to this as well... but why the wait is it for the animal to feel safe and stop fleeing and drop or is it because a wounded animal is so dangerous? Or something else cool, I don't know about?
Yes and yes! :)

LD
Justice is the one thing you should always find.......Toby Keith
MSC

Post by MSC »

After the shot I immediately reload as quietly as possible. I may very well get a shot at another one. 8)

If I am sure I made a good shot, I usually wait about 15 minutes. Then I begin to stalk after the deer looking for blood or other sign.
2011 Exomax
Boo Custom String
Shadow Zone
Gold Tip Lazer II Pro
G5 Strikers 100gr
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

vixenmaster wrote:When i hear the last noise from deer runnin & i am bad of hearin i start gettin out of my stand. I ck my arrow if'en i can find it fer blood. If'en i can't find my arrow i look fer blood comin out of deer. I follow slowly lookin hard fer my deer, i don't wait fer Yotes to eat my deer
X2 Mike, iffen i find my arrow and it has good blood , I go looking , "But" i go slowly, and cautiously, :) But most of the times i see them go down pretty quick,
and don't have to go looking, :wink:

this pic. was taken from my stand about three mins. after the shot. :)

Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
joe171

Post by joe171 »

After The Shot....................Brandy and Backstraps :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

xsh0tya wrote:Sorry new to this as well... but why the wait is it for the animal to feel safe and stop fleeing and drop or is it because a wounded animal is so dangerous? Or something else cool, I don't know about?

You want to make sure that the animal is dead. If your shot was off a little, the animal will go lay down and usually bleed out. If you go to soon, you will "bump" it and it may take off and now you have a long tracking in front of you. As for being dangerous, well, depending on what your hunting. Here, for big game, it's deer and turkeys. A wounded deer can attack, but will run, most of the time. If your hunting bear, then they will attack.
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals