ThermaCell Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RANGER94

ThermaCell Question

Post by RANGER94 »

This is the first time in a very long time I will be able to hunt in early September. Due to a lack of winter in the North East USA - mosquitos are brutal this year. My question is where do you place your thermacell unit when you are in a treestand? Do you hang it vertically or is there a way to keep it horizontal? Or do you just put it on the ground under your stand?

Thanks!!
Normous

Re: ThermaCell Question

Post by Normous »

Anywhere close to you in any position, belt, strap, hook, etc.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
encore1250

Post by encore1250 »

I STRAP TO LIMB OR STAND POST. WORKS GREAT.
RANGER94

Post by RANGER94 »

Do you leave it hang vertically? Or do you rig it up so it lays horizontal and flat?
Hot Pepper Dude

Post by Hot Pepper Dude »

The instructions on the Thermacell leaflet inside the box specifically states that the unit must lay flat with the grill facing up. If you have it set vertically, it will shorten the life of the appliance. Regards, Erik.
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

I think it depends on which unit you are using.

The ones I use for hunting are designed to be used in a holster on your belt so it would be hanging vertically. I never considered laying it down. If you have a table top unit then it would be better off leaving it horizontal as it is not meant to hang up.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
Tom

Post by Tom »

bigredopie wrote:I think it depends on which unit you are using.

The ones I use for hunting are designed to be used in a holster on your belt so it would be hanging vertically. I never considered laying it down. If you have a table top unit then it would be better off leaving it horizontal as it is not meant to hang up.
I believe that if you read the instructions which come with the holsters it says that you are not to use it in the holster, that they are for only carrying the unit. Even in saying that, I have used mine both vertically and mostly horizontal, has worked either way for me.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Place it slightly upwind of you (if there is a slight breeze). I usually place mine between my feet laying flat while in stand.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

Well #1 Don't Leave Home without it, when going to the bush-- anytime
#2 Be sure you have lots of pads and refills as you never know
#3 I've used them all of the above mentioned
never had a problem other than no skeeters :cry:
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
Hot Pepper Dude

Post by Hot Pepper Dude »

Just want to clear things up for all of you regarding using the Thermacell portable appliance. It must be used in a horizontal position! If you are in a tree stand, stap it to a limb, your stand, or an accessory hook if necessary. The holsters are sold only as a means of safely transporting the Thermacell. Using the appliance in a non-horizontal position will reduce it's useful life.

Regards, Erik.
fujimo

Post by fujimo »

I just lay mine on the treestand under my seat on my portables, and the same on my ladder stands. If im hunting on the ground I just lay it on the ground beside me. seems to work in all positions to me. 8)
Exomax
vari-zone scope
125gr. Rage 2blade
Boo custom string
srhall32

Post by srhall32 »

Wife and myself took ours to fireworks on July 4th and forgot to turn it off...when we got home she brought it in and laid it on spam counter. All of a sudden our cats were turning flips and running crazy through the house...the dog was bulldozing his head in the carpet and then they all went as far in the back of the house as they could get....anybody else seen this?
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

I got one when they were first introduced cause skeeters love me, 4-5 yrs. ago??? I have always used mine hanging vertically when hunting from a tree stand, never had a problem and it words just fine. If I'm in a ground blind, I just lay it on the ground under my chair. Maybe I got one that does'nt care if its hanging or laying.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use mine, in the holster. I have hung it in trees, layed it on my lap, walked with it hung on my belt.. The key is the wind, I tend to set it downwind at a distance that varies with wind speed.
It has only let me down once, Long Point beach. Those skitters were immune to everything, they were landing right on the Thermacell, by the hundreds. Little buggers were biting me through 99% Deet, still wet on my arms after applying.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Pydpiper wrote: It has only let me down once, Long Point beach. Those skitters were immune to everything, they were landing right on the Thermacell, by the hundreds. Little buggers were biting me through 99% Deet, still wet on my arms after applying.
There are times I have used a mosquito netting sprayed with Raid house and garden.
Spray the night before and store sealed in a garbage bag.
I've done this with coveralls when working in the bush and had good results.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"