ATV/UTV Mileage & Service?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Meat Hunter

ATV/UTV Mileage & Service?

Post by Meat Hunter »

1. How many miles does your ATV/UTV have on it?
2. How often do you change the oil(s) and filter(s)?

Myself:
2002 Honda Rancher - Manual shift
Mileage - Unknown, No odometer
Oils & filters change - Every six months

2009 Honda Rancher - Automatic shift & power steering
Mileage - 2,300 miles
Oils & filters change - Every six months
bigredopie

Re: ATV/UTV Mileage & Service?

Post by bigredopie »

2002 rubicon with hydrostat auto transmission
Serivce every time she tell me to which is usually once a year, a month or so before deer season starts. I think it just rolled past 4000 miles and runs just like the day I bought her. My father in law had a 96 honda 300 manual and als o services it annually. No idea how many mile are on it but it also runs perfectly. Honda is a hard brand to beat.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

With the Honda I have i service it when the light comes on on the dash. Like B.R.O said, usually once a year. Mine sees minimal use unless we have had a year of heavy snowfall in which case I'll treat it to an additional oil change. (plowing)

If your one to go through creeks then I would also recommend checking the differential fluids at the same time. Water tends to leak past the bearings/axle seals or vent tubes and makes for a chocolate milk looking mixture. Not cool. Ive seen way too many quads needing rebuilt differentials due to this.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have a 350 2005 Rancher with electric shift with less than 2,000 miles. It only gets used for my food plot dragging a discer, cultivator, harrow etc. It gets rode hard and put away wet. Some plastics near the cylinder head have melted but it takes a beating and keeps on ticking! I change the oil using synthetic oil once a year.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
rayman

Post by rayman »

I have a 2004 250 Honda Recon and a 2009 250 Honda Recon. Both manual shift. I use them on the job doing forestry work quite a bit and both have been run through the mill several times. Service maybe once a year changing the oil and differential fluid. Put a new rear end in the 2004 last year. Just had the carburetor cleaned in the 2009 - darn ethanol gas. If I could find employees that worked like these ATVs jobs wouldn't have to sent out of country. :mrgreen:
Gwen's Dilemma

Post by Gwen's Dilemma »

I see some people are using synthetic oil. My buddy and I have 90s Honda 300s. He used synthetic and his automatic clutch slipped badly :( The Honda mechanic said not to use synthetic in these machines because this is an issue. In these machines the engine oil is also the clutch and transmission oil.
Dave
Boo

Post by Boo »

Gwen's Dilemma wrote:I see some people are using synthetic oil. My buddy and I have 90s Honda 300s. He used synthetic and his automatic clutch slipped badly :( The Honda mechanic said not to use synthetic in these machines because this is an issue. In these machines the engine oil is also the clutch and transmission oil.
Dave
My ealer uses Mobile one as an alternative to mineral oil. My machine is used in very high load conditions most of the time and I have no slippage. I wonder if it's only a problem with marginal clutches?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
joel0711

Post by joel0711 »

1988 yamaha 225,,
mileage-- no earthly idea
oil change and grease (this old one has zerk fittings)-- at least once a year.
could use a new set of shocks though,they got weak 8 or 9 years ago!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Gwen's Dilemma wrote:I see some people are using synthetic oil. My buddy and I have 90s Honda 300s. He used synthetic and his automatic clutch slipped badly :( The Honda mechanic said not to use synthetic in these machines because this is an issue. In these machines the engine oil is also the clutch and transmission oil.
Dave
Alot of bikes/quads/utv's run this way, with wet clutches. Use of a regular motor oil may cause clutch slippage due to the friction modifiers they add to the oil. I run amsoil synthetic in my Honda quad that states on the bottle that it's for use with wet clutches.

Synthetic or non synthetic. You must use an oil that states "safe for wet clutches" if thats what you have. Honda especially seems overly sensitive to this. In my Yamaha dirtbike with a wet clutch I run just a regular 10w30 an it's has no effect.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Hazmat

Post by Hazmat »

2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700, 3,276 KL

Get serviced annually, only thing outside of that I had to change all of the brake pads last year

I use it for trail riding, Hunting and ice fishing
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have a 2003 Arctic Cat 500i , it is built like a tank . Ride is not so good , steering is a bit heavy compared to the newer models but will do most anything I ask . Lots of ground clearance ( 12 in ) and large fuel tank ( at the time ) 18 0r 20 litres . I have carried over 900 # on the bike ( 250 # deer, 3 men plus & our gear ) with out issue .

5000 miles , oil changes every 600 miles , 1 spark plug and 1 rear cv replaced . The machine is used to move wagons , pick rocks , spot spray ( 25 gallon tank ) with a 12 boom , underseed red clover each spring and push snow with a 60 inch blade .

Would not hesitate to buy another .
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

2008 660 Yamaha grizzly 1100 klm oil change every 500 klm give or take a few!
1990 250 Yamaha only goes to 1000 klm then starts over oil change every 500 klm
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I think mine is a 2006 or 07 Yamaha Grizzly 400 4WD. Normally I take it in for service once a year, but haven't so far this year. I've not used it a whole lot this year yet, so I figured I'd wait until after deer season was over to take it in. The rubber boots on the front axles have some cracks in them and need replacing and there's a few other minor things that need to be done. Figured I'd wait until there's going to be some down time.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Mine is a 98 Suzuki King Quad (300cc) in desert sand.
In the winter pushes as much snow as the blade gathers.
With diff lock engaged it has not failed me yet.
I've had two men and a deer on it at an estimated weight around 500 lbs. Power wise it was ok, but the suspension was maxed out and did not break anything.
I do my own fluid and filter changes and only would take it into the shop if it needed something major.
Maintenance is done at the end of the deer hunting and before ice fishing starts.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
fender

Post by fender »

2004 400cc Arctic Cat w/ 2000mi. I use their 0/40 synthetic oil every 500mi. I have always used mid grade gas with marvel mystery oil and ethanol stabilizer. This machine plows snow , drags plots, fire wood and trips to the camp. I has the original plug and starts before you can release the start button. I don't beat on it and always allow it to warm up before taking off. Lastly, it is kept in a pole barn or covered when not in use; over time the sun, rain and snow will take their toll on these machines.
2012 Vortex /Shadow-Zone
GT laser II / Spitfire 100g
Wyvern string
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin