shooting like a recurve

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Masboy

shooting like a recurve

Post by Masboy »

I use to love shooting a recurve with out sights but I,m left-handed and my master eye is my right and hated to close one eye. I shoot everything with both eyes open and shoot a rifle right-handed and been thinking about shooting my crossbow without sights just looking down the arrow like a recurve and having fun shooting it that way and hunting with it.I think with some practice it would be deadly with my best arrows and a lot more fun for me. been thinking about stripping it and giving it a try.I just get bored shooting bulls with my bow since I got my arrows flying so good it,s like shooting a gun. I just can,t put it down and just want to have fun shooting and think this would be sum fun shooting . does anyone else shoot this way ?
Boo

Re: shooting like a recurve

Post by Boo »

No but it sounds like fun to me! Do you plan on looking over the trigger unit or the top corner of the rail?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I don,t know yet till I take the scope mount off and take a peak. but wonder about broadheads because they will look different out on the end. I see some advantages for the crossbow for me.I have great shooting arrows an broadheads that shoot to the same poi and a good trigger with no bad releases an looking down the arrow it should go strait in line and I hope should just be a matter of height . and should be able to shoot more than one arrow at a bull without ruining my other arrows I hope! just sounds like fun shooting for me!well I just stripped my bow and took off my cheekpiece and you would not believe how much lighter and how good it feels and I can look down the arrow . going to shoot it now!!!!!
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I never had more fun than this I can not believe the acurracy from my first shots. I gap shoot useing the tip just guessing . picture 1 my first three shots at 20yds sitting on my rear and done ruined my first arrow by nicking the nock and tore a fletching off!!!!picture two first two at 30yds. and a few inches high .picture three next two shots aiming a little lower.now fixing the old arrow I ruined. love to watch my arrow all the way to the target. with some practice this things going to be deadly on deer.my sons here with his new high dollar Hoyt and I said I will beat you without any sights and he laughted so I,m going out to try!

Masboy

Post by Masboy »

well my son and I shot at 50yds and my very first shot shot a nice hole in my Stanley 4 foot level laying on top the target about a foot high from where I aimed but was dead in line! exploded that arrow. then I lower my aim a bit and was shooting great and dead in line but not good enough to beat the Hoyt. I beat him a couple rounds though.I think with some practice he will have his hands full. I got all week to get ready for deer and am excited to hunt with this rig.everything feels so good with out the mount and scope and much lighter .will be brakeing out my best arrows soon but don,t think I will be aiming at the same bull very often.got to get back out and shoot some more and have some fun!!!!
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

my first kill with my new rig! it had a four foot spread and big glass looking eyes and jumped up in the air when hit.I was aiming at the red dot below it becaue I thought I would be low from my guess at my thirty yd shots.alls well just lost a junk arrow.

epd1102

Post by epd1102 »

Pretty cool. I still shoot my recurve barebow for fun but I also use sights on my bows for hunting. I just don't trust myself enough even though I'm pretty good. I applaud your efforts though.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

That cool that it is working so well Masboy! I am going to try it out. Nothing to nock out of alighnment if you accidently drop your bow either. At 20 yard, that was fentasic. How are you looking down the bow?
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I have my cheek tight to the stock with both eyes open looking strait down the shaft and just use the tip as my guide for height.these things fly strait inline for me out to 50yds just looking down the shaft.the bow just has such a great feel an balance .no more need move the scope a click here and there just point and shoot and I love it!!!! I just think I,m going to have to put up a deer body target to get used to where to hold on a deer instead of dots and squares for my hunting and lots of practice. I think if you try it you will be hooked like me!!!
fujimo

Post by fujimo »

Ive shot recurves and longbows my entire life of the shelf unaided with wood arrows and loved it. due to a shoulder injury I bought the exomax and love it.
Never even crossed my mind to shoot my crossbow that way.
But like you get a little bored hitting everything I shoot at lol.
Might have to give this a try 8)
Exomax
vari-zone scope
125gr. Rage 2blade
Boo custom string
strum

Post by strum »

be carfull you may put those scope maker out of buisness..lol..
I always wondered how well that would work..you got me thinking about trying it to sometime..wouldnt it be neat to shoot a deer bare bowed....
wonder if the vertical compound guys will frown on that :shock:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

these bows will be deadly with some practice and I plan on shooting some deer when I get enough practice.I,m still trying to figure out a few things before I hunt with mine.the arrow retaining spring sets on top the trigger unit and I would like to Change that so I don,t see no screws or anything but a flat surface to look down at my arrow.I will probaly build a bracket that will mount on to my scope mount screws on the sides or figure out how to mount it on the front some how. even thought about rigging a plunger type from a regular bow on a bracket so I could adjust the pressure? I,m a tinkerer but like things to fit and feel right!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

LOVE IT! :lol:

When you master this, then you can move on to shooting gangster style!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen