Home brew crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OldSkool

Home brew crossbow

Post by OldSkool »

If anyone has ever thought about converting a compound bow into a crossbow then check out this months copy of The Backwoodsman.
bigredopie

Re: Home brew crossbow designs

Post by bigredopie »

Actually I have a cople of accurest bows that I had contemplated modifying to hold them at full draw. I always found them to be very accurate with the long arrow guide, allowing almost anyone to shoot proficiently in no time. Basically if you could draw the bow you could hit where you were aiming (Very similar to an excalibur in that regard).
I even have a couple of set of their 4" "hunting arrows" that they recommended using for deer but claimed they could also be used to kill anything. I would live to try one out with my excalibur to see what they can do. In the compund bow they went through 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood, 3/8 wood siding, 4" of insulation, drywall and finally stuck into the drywall the inside of my shop wall. The arrow was fine but the blades were a bit dull. I have been a bit scared to shot them again.

let me know what you think :roll:
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
Meat Hunter

Re: Home brew crossbow

Post by Meat Hunter »

That design is very similar to the “Draw Lock” device that I used on my vertical bow before I became age 65 and purchased a crossbow.

Even though crossbows are not legal for everyone and in all seasons; the “Draw Lock” device is legal for every one and in all seasons in Mississippi.
bigredopie

Re: Home brew crossbow

Post by bigredopie »

Yes I think they both came out about the same time. The main difference is that the draw lock actually hold the bow at full draw (like a cross bow) and has been banned in almost every state that does not recognize cross bows as a legitimate hunting bow.

There are a couple of stated that also banned the accurest as they felt it gave an unfair advantage in accuracy to the shooter. It does not hold the drawstring back in any way, just "trains" the arrow to fly straight during the release using the long channel.

I am not sure about the draw loc but the accurest has passed in to history due to the pressure for "traditional" bow hunters. This is one reason I celebrate any crossbow victory against the establishment. There have been many great ideas over the years that have been crushed because they don;t fit into somone's view of real bowhunters. Sorry for the soap box.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em