Early Deer Season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Early Deer Season

Post by Raymond »

Well folks, once again those of us who hunts with crossbows are left out of the early deer hunting season here in Nova Scotia. I just found out that the Minister of DNR has screwed us over again. A simple signature from him would have made the difference. There is still a group of other hunters, you know what I mean, that has still got some power over the crossbow hunters unfortunately. We as crossbow hunters can hunt everything in season except for hunting in the early deer hunting season for bows. Sad story when we have to keep fighting to be fairly treated. I thought we lived in a fair society but I guess not, :( .
Raymond
Big58cal

Re: Early Deer Season

Post by Big58cal »

Same deal down here Raymond. The "vertical" bows get to go out starting the first Saturday in September, but crossbow hunters (unless they have an exemption permit) have to wait until October 1st, and then they only get about 3 weeks until it closes again and the vertical guys have the pre-rut to themselves. :x
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I believe that this is the 3rd year that NC has allowed x-bow & bow to start at the same time and we can hunt on Sunday on private land.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Our seasons only starts around the end of October for the regular deer season. We are not allowed to hunt on Sundays. I was expecting this to be the year that crossbows would be included for the archery deer hunt. With all the great talk and support from the vertical bow hunters it seemed that this would happen. Goes to show you that you need to take care of yourself and not depend on any other organization to help you.
Raymond
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Deerstalker wrote:I believe that this is the 3rd year that NC has allowed x-bow & bow to start at the same time and we can hunt on Sunday on private land.
X2 Maybe I'll get to kill one with the Xbow this year if the bears will quite running the deer off.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Quite the array of differences regarding crossbow use in Canada:

ALBERTA
Crossbows legal for all seasons except archery-only. Legal in archery season for eligible handicapped hunters with a crossbow license. Crossbows must have a minimum draw weight of 100-pounds.
http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntin ... cross-bows

BRITISH COLUMBIA
Crossbows legal.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hu ... gulations/

MANITOBA
Crossbows may be used during muzzleloader deer seasons and big game rifle seasons. A hunter may not be in possession of a crossbow while hunting during archery or shotgun/muzzloader seasons. A person hunting big game shall not be in possession of a crossbow requiring less than 150-pounds draw weight or an arrow using a broadhead less than 7/8 of an inch in width. Under the authority of a Disabled Crossbow permit, a permanently disabled archer may use a crossbow during an archery season.
www.gov.mb.ca/natres/wildlife/index.html

NEW BRUNSWICK
In New Brunswick crossbows may be used by certified hunters during all hunting seasons
except for the deer archery season and for hunting migratory game birds.
http://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/Depa ... ngInNB.pdf

NEWFOUNDLAND
Crossbows illegal.
www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/ThingsToDo/hunting

NORTHWEST TERRITORIES
Crossbows legal.
http://www.enr.gov.nt.ca/_live/pages/wp ... tions.aspx

NOVA SCOTIA
Allows the use of crossbows in all hunting situations where conventional bows may be used, except the special open season for bowhunting deer. The crossbow must have a draw weight of 150lbs (68kg) or greater and bolts with heads more than 2.2 cm in diameter. Crossbow hunters must also wear hunter orange or camouflage orange garments.
www.gov.ns.ca/NATR/hunt/regulations/

NUNAVUT
Crossbows legal.
http://env.gov.nu.ca/programareas/wildlife/publications

ONTARIO
Crossbows legal; Minimum 119-pound draw weight and 12-inch draw length for moose and bear, 100-pound draw weight and 12-inch draw length for deer.
www.mnr.gov.on.ca

PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
Legal for hunting all game species, except migratory birds. A Firearm Safety Certificate is required.
www.tourismpei.com/pei-hunting

QUEBEC
Crossbows legal for handicapped hunters by special authorizations during bow season.

In 2008, most bow hunting seasons were replaced with crossbow and bow hunting seasons. Please consult the table of hunting seasons to find out these new terms and conditions. This new development does not apply to moose hunting in zones 13, 15, 16, 17 and 22 which have retained exclusive bow hunting seasons, except for certain wildlife sanctuaries, zecs and outfitter establishments with exclusive rights of these zones which had already replaced their bow hunting seasons with crossbow and bow hunting seasons.

Except in zones 17, 22, 23 and 24, hunting with a crossbow is always permitted during a firearm, a shotgun or a muzzle-loading firearm hunting period. In order to hunt with a crossbow, a resident must be the holder of a hunter's certificate bearing code A or B. Despite the information appearing on the back of the hunter's certificate, since 2007 code F no longer allows the holder to hunt with a crossbow.

http://www.mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/english/publ ... ssbows.asp

SASKATCHEWAN
Crossbows legal only during muzzleloader and rifle seasons, except in the Regina, Moosejaw, Saskatoon, Buckland and Prince Albert wildlife management zones where crossbows are permitted during all open seasons. Crossbows must have a minimum drwa weight of 150-pounds and broadheads must have a cutting diameter of 7/8 of an inch.
http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx

YUKON TERRITORIES
Crossbows illegal.
www.environmentyukon.gov.yk.ca/

Thankfully I live in BC! And with my Sawbones Blessing, now can hunt Alberta under the "disabled" category.

Good Luck in getting them to see the Light out there in Nova Scotia Raymond!!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Nog,

Some day they will see the light I hope. What a bunch of BS we have to go through. What a bunch of different rules and regulations for a country that is supposed to be smart, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , what a joke.

Raymond
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

i hunt in Quebec in zone 10 we can hunt with our crossbow ( the trem that the gov. use is it call crossbow and bow season ) hopfully that will not change with the new government :? wee must pass a cours to be allowed to hunt with our crossbow , that ok . it all advantage to all, business point , sell more crossbow , hunting accessories to all new hunter ( young and old ) , sell more permits (more money for the gov. ) etc. to me it give me 2 more weeks for hunting . all of that for 1 deer per season . That ok to , it give more a chance to all to enjoy the sport .
hopefully all provinces will realize all the good that crossbow hunting bring to the sport of hunting ( it time that the bow hunters learn to share ) to used a crossbow you still need to be close and you still used a arrow :?:
Denis
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount