Muzzleloader Scope Help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

birddog10

Muzzleloader Scope Help

Post by birddog10 »

Anybody out there recommend a "good" scope for a TC muzzleloader? My son has a TC Impact and wants to put a scope on it. He doesn't want to spend a lot of money and, truthfully, he doesn't get out that much and any shot he takes is going to be 100 yds or less (not that he won't use it more in the future). He's looking at the Bushnell Banner and Bushnell XLT (both as a 3-9x40). The Banner has a model with a MZ200 reticle designed for muzzleloaders. The XLT has a "DOA 250" which is also made specifically for muzzleloaders (I think) :? Maybe something in the $100 to $140 range at best. I told him I would pay for the rings and such so his money is strictly for the scope. Any suggestions? Any other brands to think about in that price range?
Thanks for any advice,
Jim
shafferm

Re: Muzzleloader Scope Help

Post by shafferm »

The 2-7x Fullfield 2 from Burris might be an option to consider as well, although it is going for $149 right now, so it is a little bit more than your original range.
It seems to be getting great reviews.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/817249 ... icle-matte
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
encore1250

Post by encore1250 »

nikon prostaff or omega. me love my nikons.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

not a big fan of all the clutter in those fancy bdc reticles. the basic bushnell banners are fine. id get a 3x9x40 with the circle dot reticle. 79$ another good one is the new redfield revolutions. made by leupold. they have the circle or the regular duplex. 179$. its very nice.
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

I have a TC triumph and I mounted a 3x9 bushnell trophy on it.
It has become my favorite rifle to shoot.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I just ordered one of the new Redfield scopes for the boy's .243. I'll let ya'll know what I think of it. :wink:

I'm not a big fan of Bushnell. I have 1 Bushnell scope on a rifle and that's only because it's held it's zero and I don't shoot the rifle that much. Other than that, about all of my scopes are Leupold, Nikon, or Simons Aetec. I really like the Simons Aetec scopes! :D I've got one on my .54 cal Knight muzzleloader and it's a proven "meat getter" each year. They're not that expensive, but are really good scopes for the money. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
birddog10

Post by birddog10 »

Good advice for sure.
FooFoo, my son (I think :lol: ) agrees with you about all the clutter. When I show him the difference of the two he really likes the multi-X simple pattern over the DOA 250 with all the lines. Thanks for pointing that out. I think he's leaning toward a Bushnell Trophy XLT with the multi-X. Found one for $125 with a $25 rebate. We're going to check it out on Wednesday.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Here's the search results for Simmons Aetec scopes on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=sim ... &_osacat=0

The one I've got on my muzzleloader is the 2.8-10 x 44. I've got a 3.8-12 x 44 on my .17 HMR and have another still in the box that I haven't mounted yet. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Normous

Post by Normous »

My family now has 2 Redfield Revolutions one in 3 x 9 and another in 2 x 7. Take a look at the 2 x 7 for his gun, nice and clear and well made under the Leupold roof.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Natchez Shooters Supplies has the 3-9 Trophy Bushnell on sale for $70. Might want to look there as well.
Product Number: BH733948
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... D=BH733948
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
Tom

Post by Tom »

The TC Impact is better then most for a lack of recoil when shot, but there is still a recoil more then most rifles.

One thing I will suggest is to look at a scope with a good eye-relief. Since he might not get out with it much, the feel of the gun might be a little different and in getting ready for a shot, he might just end up with RACCOON EYE from the scope.

I have seen more then one person get too deep into a scope on a muzzleloader and then the kick give them raccoon eye.

Good luck in choosing a scope.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Normous

Post by Normous »

Beware of the high cost of the lowest priced scope.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
birddog10

Post by birddog10 »

Tom wrote:The TC Impact is better then most for a lack of recoil when shot, but there is still a recoil more then most rifles.

One thing I will suggest is to look at a scope with a good eye-relief. Since he might not get out with it much, the feel of the gun might be a little different and in getting ready for a shot, he might just end up with RACCOON EYE from the scope.

I have seen more then one person get too deep into a scope on a muzzleloader and then the kick give them raccoon eye.

Good luck in choosing a scope.

Tom
Yeah. The Bushnell XLT calls for a 4 inch eye relief. Thanks for the heads up.
srhall32

Post by srhall32 »

I tried several for my Knight and found a winner in the Nikon Monarch UCC 2X7...would look at that one and the Omega....you won't save a dime if impact changes happen from time to time.
I don't deal with Leupold (or Redfield) after the rotten customer service with a $600 RX-IV rangefinder that was junk.
Nikon is lifetime warranty and reasonable price.....my little 2 cents...
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

I don't like a 3x9 for my ML as my shots are not long enough to need that much magnification. My TC encore wears a 1.5 x 4.5 tc scope and my electra wears a nikon monarch 2x8. I also prefer a cleaner view so I stick with a simple cross hair set up. I would definitely recommend the nikon buckmaster or monarch lines as they have never let me down. On the other hand I have had to lend a few scopes to close family members when their simmons and bushnell scopes bit the dust after a few test fires before deer season. Optics are one area that it pays to buy the best you can afford. Cutting corners will cost you in bad shots, lost game and fustration.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em