Front / Center Balance:

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Nighthunter

Front / Center Balance:

Post by Nighthunter »

Was just using a build your own bolt computer program in considering buying some Gold Tip Laser II Pro hunting bolts and as a newbie, there are a lot of choices that confuse me. I know to select flat noks and I want brass inserts in the front to shoot 125 gr Broadheads but they have 2" and 4" fletching choices and at the end of the program it shows the balance figures. Does anyone with more experience have the particulars of what I want to built for accurate hunting bolts. thanks for your help.
"The only difference between mediocrity and excellence is effort!" M.T. Walton
Normous

Re: Front / Center Balance:

Post by Normous »

As a GTII user for for many years I suggest going with 2" Blazers, brass up front and 100 grain tips. That combo is certainly popular here.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

X2. Will give you about 18% FOC.............
"Eze 18:21"
Nighthunter

Post by Nighthunter »

Thanks for the advice! It is very much appreciated!!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

My experiments have shown me there are three classes of FOC. I call them low [<10%] medium [10% -15%] high [>15%].

A perfect arrow will fly good w/ any of the three. The minor diffs in anyone category don't seem to matter much, soooo...........

To figure FOC on a 20" arrow, mark the center w/ a sharpie, then balance it and mark that, tips included in all.

Measure the diff and multiply by 5% per inch. No tables or deep math and it will put you w/in a percent or two.

For 22" shafts, the multiplier is about 4.5%.
joe171

Post by joe171 »

A word of caution what shucks posted is right but be careful when you load the front of any arrow to increase the front of center you will change the dynamics you will want to check spine of your arrow as you may encounter what is called archers paradox ( osculation in flight )
maybe alshucks will weigh in on this some more im still probing this issue in my tests

Joe171
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I shoot GT L II's w/ brass inserts and 100 gr points, pretty common fodder on here. I did learn that the AZ Bolt fletcher is a good thing, lol.
Nighthunter

Post by Nighthunter »

I ordered Gold Tip Laser II's with 110 gr. brass inserts, 2 " Blazer vanes, 2 pkgs of 100 gr. Slick Tricks, and got firenocks on half of em / Aluminum flat nocks on the other half. My next purchase will definitely be an AZ-EZ. Gonna roll my own after this. Just don't make sense to do it any other way. Opening weekend is now less that 2 weeks away!!!!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Good choices.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Nighthunter

Post by Nighthunter »

Thanks for the confirmation and for the comments from everyone! This site is loaded with good people ready and willing to help!!! Thank You!!!!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

My next purchase will definitely be an AZ-EZ.
Get a 'Bolt', unbelievable............
srhall32

Post by srhall32 »

To whomever it was on this forum that posted the good things about the Arizona "Bolt"....I sincerely thank them! I believe I read that Boo had convinced them......anyway, I didn't want to do it but I stripped and re-fletched 15 2219's with Blazers on the Bolt and my Slick Tricks are flying the best ever....was more than worth it....awesome!
Nighthunter

Post by Nighthunter »

AZ-EZ, Blazer vanes, and 3 different types of glue are ordered and on the way!!! Really looking forward to experimenting but I'm not going to start until after Deer season...
Nighthunter

Post by Nighthunter »

Gold Tip Laser II's arrived yesterday with brass inserts installed, 2" Blaser vanes, Firenocks, etc. Now I'm really torn about whether to shoot them some and hunt with them this year, or stay with the Excalibur Firebolts. I must admit that the Firebolts are amazingly accurate and I just don't know how the GT Laser II's can improve my groupings. Perhaps at longer distances, as I've only shot to 30 yds so far, but I'm putting the Firebolts in a group the size of a quarter at 20 yds, and the size of a silver dollar at 30 yds. The Excalibur Axiom has exceeded my wildest expectations of performance and I am super stoked about hunting with it this year!!! So, did I waste my money buying the GT Laser II's or will I notice a difference at greater distance?? Only time will tell. I'm really beginning to believe that the Excalibur Axiom will shoot anything well.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

You are pretty much correct when you say they will shoot almost anything well.The Excalibur bows are very accurate and very forgiving and will shoot most arrows, within reason, quite well. I am still amazed how a factory bow and factory arrows shoot like this! Isnt it nice and arent we lucky shoot Excal!