Boltcutter Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

seabee401

Boltcutter Broadheads

Post by seabee401 »

Can anyone give me some advice on what broadheads to use? I can't get Boltcutters to fly consistent from one arrow to another. The fire bolts were sighted in with 150 grain target tips. When I try to sight in with Boltcutters each arroww flies different.I dont have equipment or knowledge to replace or change inserts or fletching. Any ideas or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you. Good luck to all who have allready started their season. Be safe and enjoy your time in the woods.
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
nc crossbow

Re: Boltcutter Broadheads

Post by nc crossbow »

I'd check out the scope mount to the crossbow to see if the bolts are tight. Plus then check the scope rings screws as well since they may have loosened up. Plus check the bolts that hold the limbs to the forearm and see if they are tight as well. Sounds like a loose scope mount to me and also make sure your broadheads are snug as well since I've had a couple loosen up on me sighting in. Hope this helps out...
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

If the POI is good with target points, I'm not sure anything is loose, but it's always a good idea to check and /or add Blue Loctite to all bolts.

How far off are the arrows?
What distance are you shooting with the BHs?

Possible fix:
Find a small O-ring (I use ones from some old Thunderhead BHs I had) and put it on the back of the BH where it screws into the arrow. This should let you get the BH tight, but allow you to align the blades with the fletching. Try that. If that does not work, try making the blades exactly out of line with the BHs. Also try different fletchings in the slot.

Best Fix:
Buy and Arizona EZ Fletch Bolt and some 2" Blazer vanes and re-fletch. It is really quite easy to do, and the Blazers help BH stabilization alot.

Hope this helps, and good luck. Keep posting question/results. There are alot of guys on here with alot of experince that are willing to help you out.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
philman

Post by philman »

Tom, try sighting in with just one arrow/broahead......once you get that arrow shooting consistant try another one a see if poi changes. How far are you shooting? Start at 10yrds and get the arrow zero'd in then go to 20yrds once your hitting your target try the other arrows. See if this helps!
frisky

Post by frisky »

philman wrote:Tom, try sighting in with just one arrow/broahead......once you get that arrow shooting consistant try another one a see if poi changes. How far are you shooting? Start at 10yrds and get the arrow zero'd in then go to 20yrds once your hitting your target try the other arrows. See if this helps!
X2
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

Hey guys, thanks for the replies and offers of experience and help.
I will try all of your tips and ideas hopefully this wknd. Get home too late from work during week. Was shooting my "V" bow all summer and waited till last minute to try Excals. w/broadheads.Not very smart on my part.
I am shooting from 22 yds. which is the max I can safely shoot in my yard. I'm using Two different Firebolts w/ two different Boltcutters. I had the Firebolts sighted in w/150 grn. target tips and was hitting where I was aiming,and checked for any loose screws (besides the ones in my head!) so I dont think thats the problem.Also tried them from both my Excals. (have Phoenix w/ Varizone and Exocet w/ no scope, just factory peep sight) Both shoot good with target tips.Could it be possible that some Firebolts from different retailers purcased @ different times can have a few flyers in the set? I do have two seperate dozen from which realize which ones I used , as I had them bunched together.
I wil also check out Arizona fletcher and try "o" rings as reccomended if the other things dont workout.
Thank you everyone for your time and experience/tips. I'll try this wknd. again. Also hope to hunt a little with my "V" bow, as my season opened last Sat. here in N.J.
Will keep you posted and let you know how it turns out. :)
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
tman74

Post by tman74 »

You could switch to NAP Spitfires and your bh accuracy issues will vanish! :)
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

Hey tman74 that sounds like a great option! are the NAP Spitfires fixed blade or mech.? What grain do you use? Do you use them w/ the Excal Firebolts w/ stock fletching? Do they come w/ practice blades?
Thanks for your help too.
Tom
tman74

Post by tman74 »

seabee401 wrote:Hey tman74 that sounds like a great option! are the NAP Spitfires fixed blade or mech.? What grain do you use? Do you use them w/ the Excal Firebolts w/ stock fletching? Do they come w/ practice blades?
Thanks for your help too.
Tom
They're mechanicals (100 gr for me). I've used them with both Firebolts and GT Lazer II arrows. Both arrows brands have brass inserts and shot out of my old Exomax and current Equinox with excellent results. 2" Blazers for fletching and they don't come with practice heads. I have about a dozen and keep a few for practice only.

Scary accurate from my bows.
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

Nap spitfires. Rage 2 blade. Most of the top brand expandables will shoot like a field point.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy