Stricknine Broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

HammerNAnvil

Stricknine Broadheads

Post by HammerNAnvil »

I just bought some stricknine broadheads, on sale 3 for 10$ at a local hardware store, anyone know if their any good? thought id just buy something cheap for coyotes and fox.
roly

Re: Stricknine Broadheads

Post by roly »

Nothing wrong with Stricknines, their a good BH

They have a large cutting surface and shoot like FPs

Thats a steal for 10 bucks.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Well . . .I know all about Stricknines . . .hopefully, you have the new ones. The new ones have a bright gold tinted ferrule, the older ones have a copper tinted ferrule.

Personally, I love the Stricknines. I've never had deer drop as fast as when I hit them with the Stricknine.

I hunt from the ground, so, it's not uncommon to have long tracking jobs because I don't get the low exit wounds like you do from hunting in a tree. After I got the Stricknines(well, at first I was using Hammerheads, same head with less weight, same company), I shot a walking buck and misjudged the allowance for the walking part of the shot. I hit that buck in the gut and it went a little over 20 yards. I shot two does through the lungs and they just sat down and bled out. There seems to be a shock factor in those large heads.

They fly really well . . .really, really well.

Problem is with the old Stricknines, the copper color ones. The ferrule was weak and has a tendency to break off at the screws that hold the blades upon impact. I lost a blade on that first buck . . .still did it's job . . .but, only using two blades for the most part. I thought it was a fluke until the same thing happened with the doe that took a seat. Still, worked great, but, I was concerned and contacted the company.

That's when I really started loving the broadhead. The customer service was great. Trophy Ridge bought out Rocket to acquire the Stricknine. The first thing they did was improve the ferrule. The second thing they did was raise the price. LOL. OK . . .I liked the first thing and they sent me a new pack to try out. They work perfect.

They said the old, Rocket Stricknines were fine until you shoot them out of a really fast bow(I was using the Exomax as fast as she would go), then the force upon impact did a number on the ferrule. That problem, as far as I can tell, no longer exists. At least, I have not encountered the problem with the new ferrules.

If you got 3 for $10 . . .heck of a deal . . .as long as they are the new ones.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
HammerNAnvil

Post by HammerNAnvil »

They are the copper ones, my xbow should be only 285fps with the arrows im using. hopefully this weekend I can stricknine some coyotes and find out.
Nighthunter

Post by Nighthunter »

What model Stricnine are you using Sumner?? Interested in trying some on my Axiom.
"The only difference between mediocrity and excellence is effort!" M.T. Walton
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Nighthunter wrote:What model Stricnine are you using Sumner?? Interested in trying some on my Axiom.
The Stricknines only come in one model, that I am aware. They are 125 gr. The Hammerheads are the same broadhead in 100 gr. Both from Trophy Ridge. Just make sure they have a gold tint to them . . .gold is better than copper.

HammerNAnvil . . .they will work great on a coyote, they will cut it in half and fillet it. My Exomax at the time was shooting over 325pfs., but, based on my conversation with the rep at Trophy Ridge, your 285 fps my be too fast for the copper ones . . .it will be interesting to find out.

I like seeing more and more of you guys using the larger cutting surfaced broadheads . . .I've been preaching the benefits on here for years. We kill via blood loss . . .we need to do as much cutting as possible, the more cutting surface, the better.

We have more energy in these bows than we are using at impact. Put that energy to use by doing more cutting.

We also have some better made broadheads than we did just 5 years ago . . .especially in the mechanical type broadhead.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
HammerNAnvil

Post by HammerNAnvil »

The thing I noticed is they don't have much lateral support, there's too much play in the blades when they open, can see them twisting and snapping off if they have enough pressure on them
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

HammerNAnvil wrote:The thing I noticed is they don't have much lateral support, there's too much play in the blades when they open, can see them twisting and snapping off if they have enough pressure on them
I agree . . .the ferrule was not so great on the copper ones. If I still have both heads and I might . . .when I get time, I'll post a picture of them side by side.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Here is a picture of the broadheads I perfer, thus far . . .I included the old Stricknine ofr identification purposes, I would avoid using these in my Exomax.

From left to right....

The New Stricknine, the old Stricknine, the 125 gr Spitfire and the Slick Trick.

The protective wrap is still on the new Stricknine, I'll remove that before putting it on my arrow. The Slick Trick looks little, but, with four blades, it has almost as much cutting surface as the 3 bladed Stricknine and has more cutting surface than most fixed blades.

The tip on the Stricknines are replaceable and I have saved a couple of heads by simply replacing the tip. You will hit enough rocks eventually.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I used the Hammerheads when broadheads from Rocket 1st came out . The deer Ishot with them dropped like rocks . I was shooting a Darton Renegade at 65 # and an Exocet 165# at the time .

The blades at the time had to be sharpened before use and were usually only good for one shot as the screws or the threads stripped out very easy . I ended up changing brands because they were basically a 1 shot broadhead . Glad to hear the quality has improved .