Crossbow Hunting Death in KY

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big58cal

Crossbow Hunting Death in KY

Post by Big58cal »

Found out there had been a death recently from a crossbow while hunting.

Police Say Woman Dies After Accidentally Shooting Herself With Crossbow

A woman in Owen County is dead after she was apparently accidentally shot with a crossbow.

The incident happened Sunday. Police say Yvetta Reffitt, 59, of Martin, KY, was hunting on a farm in Owen County when the incident occurred. Reffitt had been dropped off to hunt by herself at 6:45 a.m. When Reffitt did not return for lunch, members of her hunting group began looking for her and found her at approximately 11:30 a.m. Reffitt was deceased when she was found.

Preliminary investigation points to the crossbow shot, along with pre-existing medical conditions, as the causes of Reffitt's death.

Police continue to investigate.

http://www.lex18.com/news/police-say-wo ... -crossbow/

And some other info found out about it: "Some more info on the incident. The lady was reportedly found by her hunting party at 11:30am with a single wound to the leg that was caused by the broadhead. She had a tourniquet on her leg from where she tried to stop the bleeding. It is suspected that she may have been loading the crossbow when it accidentally fired. The arrow has not been found."

For the "pre-existing medical condition", the best that can be figured is that she was probably on a blood thinner. Others who are say that the slightest cut takes forever to stop bleeding.

Just a note for all of ya'll to be careful out there! Excalibur makes a really good bow and a really good trigger, but a trigger is still a mechanical device and mechanical devices can fail. Same with the safety. Use it but don't trust it. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Deerstalker

Re: Crossbow Hunting Death in KY

Post by Deerstalker »

Always, always make ABSOLUTELY sure that your CB is unloaded before climbing into and out of your tree stand. In my 2 man stand I am able to cock & uncock my CB while I am in the stand.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

It's kind of awkward for me to cock/uncock mine up in the stand, so that gets done on the ground. Loading an arrow on though is the very last thing that I do, after I've put my face mask on, cover scents out, sprayed down, gotten situated, etc. Taking the arrow off and putting it back in the quiver is the first thing done when I get ready to get out.

HIGHBOW

Post by HIGHBOW »

Mark,
I knew this lady and family, I have worked right at their property. She was on blood thinners and the family has hunted for many years. It was sad to have this happen to someone just out to enjoy a day hunting, I guess it's a mistake that cost her life. We had heard about it that evening but I hadn't said much about it.
THey lived about 6 miles from where my wife lived when we met.
EXCALIBUR Matrix Grizzly & AXIOM SMF, Firebolts and Boltcutters
Hunt safe and always respect what natural gives you!
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Sad stuff. :(
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Highbow sorry for your loss and her family's loss very sad .
I just wonder how it happened cross bows are really quite safe but strange things can happen.
I wonder if she had a cell phone it may have saved her.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

gerald strine wrote:Highbow sorry for your loss and her family's loss very sad .
I just wonder how it happened cross bows are really quite safe but strange things can happen.
I wonder if she had a cell phone it may have saved her.
If it's anything like mine, I don't get reception down where I hunt at.

Sorry to hear that you knew her Nathan. :( It's sad indeed. Just one of those things that it was a Perfect Storm of events and circumstances evidently. :?

Even though a crossbow is a bow, since it's "cocked, locked, and ready to rock doc", all of the principles of gun safety should still be adhered to. Two of these are never pointing it at anything you don't want to shoot, and never pointing it at a part of your body. One of the things that we preach during hunter ed. is to make sure and use the safety, but that since the safety is a mechanical device, it can fail. Use it but don't trust it. Same thing can be said with any part of a crossbow, especially the trigger. It's a mechanical device and it can fail.

If nothing else, hopefully this woman's death will help save the life of someone else if it just makes them think a little more.

Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Sad indeed but as a person on blood thinners, and Excal aficionado, I do not understand how one shoots self in leg in a place that would result in exsanguination, any more than shooting oneself with a rifle. ALL guns and bows are loaded at all times. If it dropped and shot her, that's one thing, otherwise it's plain carelessness.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Cossack wrote:Sad indeed but as a person on blood thinners, and Excal aficionado, I do not understand how one shoots self in leg in a place that would result in exsanguination, any more than shooting oneself with a rifle. ALL guns and bows are loaded at all times. If it dropped and shot her, that's one thing, otherwise it's plain carelessness.
Since we don't know all the facts just yet, let's not be too hasty and pass judgement just yet as to what happened. :wink:

Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

This is very sad my prayers are with her family for their loss. It is aweful that all she was trying to do was enjoy herself what what God has given us.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Chris Dillard

Post by Chris Dillard »

Sounds like a very tragic accident.
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Accidents happen no matter how carefull you can be,When its your time its your time,simple as that but now that it has happened prayers go out to the family.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Very sad news for sure! :(
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
encore1250

Post by encore1250 »

very sad:( now that will make you stop and think what your doing in the woods. take your time and be extra careful out there every one.
Nighthunter

Post by Nighthunter »

My prayers are with both family and friends. Sad news..
"The only difference between mediocrity and excellence is effort!" M.T. Walton