Sweetlix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mijo

Sweetlix

Post by Mijo »

Has anyone tried using Sweetlix or any other type of mineral lick? Tried rolling acres deer corn mix in early spring and not sure if the mixture of molasses made the corn fungi!? Didn't get a camera pic since that in the spot, coincidence maybe.
Hunt the last 40 acre section once the feed is picked they seem to disappear. Any info would be appreciated.
Equinox
Lumenok fire bots
Boo string w/ wiskers
X-act or thunder Heads " depending on mood"
Lumi-zone scope
xbowrook

Re: Sweetlix

Post by xbowrook »

sweetlix? yup.. used it.. love it... make sure, like all mineral licks and trail camera's , etc.. you set it up in a well used area.... i clear and area about 6 feet round, clearing all leaves, branches etc, get it right down to the dirt.. then i dig a hole so the block of sweetlix goes in fully and the ground is about 6" above the block.. then fill the dirt back over the sweetlix.. then i put some decayed , rotten dead fall stumps over it, and poor a jug or two of deer cocaine.. it's amazing stuff.. last year i put my last jug of deer cocaine over the sweetlix in november sometime.. this spring i went back and the deer were STILL hitting it.. i have a 12" deep hole and about 2' round.. they love it..
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I put a 20kg reddish mineral lick block out today. The kind that you can buy from your feed store. I never cleared the leaves away or anything. I guess I need to go back and do a little bit more work than what I did. Is it really neccessary to bury the mineral lick block? I cannot afford to buy anything to put on top of the mineral lick block. Is there anything that I may have around already that I could pour on top of it?
Thanks,
Raymond
HammerNAnvil

Post by HammerNAnvil »

Don't have to bury the mineral block, but its almost cheaper to buy bags of salt and spread them around. the mineral block is gonna melt when it gets wet anyways.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have tried the sweetlix and found that deer used it. I have tried other types of salt bricks and had no luck. sweetlix is the one i used to use alot until I started making my own creation and tilling it right into the ground.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Neil,
What is your creation if you don't mind sharing the info?
Raymond
Mijo

Post by Mijo »

Thx for the input. All update with all later
Equinox
Lumenok fire bots
Boo string w/ wiskers
X-act or thunder Heads " depending on mood"
Lumi-zone scope
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

salt and mineral sites in my area only get hit from early spring til end of august. after that its like a switch with them not visiting anymore. ive used the sweet feed blocks and same thing. after august they dont touch it it. the horse sweet mix feed i know will go bad and get moldy. deer wont touch it when it goes bad. as far as salt and mineral blocks i just use the water treatment solar salt bags and occasionally will add a red trace mineral block and some di-cal phosphate.its not to grow antlers or anything but to help the health of the deer especially does with fawns.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

tried sweet lixx and had great action...also the cheap red salt block with trace minerals works just as well for me...good luck
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Raymond wrote:Hey Folks,
I put a 20kg reddish mineral lick block out today. The kind that you can buy from your feed store. I never cleared the leaves away or anything. I guess I need to go back and do a little bit more work than what I did. Is it really neccessary to bury the mineral lick block? I cannot afford to buy anything to put on top of the mineral lick block. Is there anything that I may have around already that I could pour on top of it?
Thanks,
Raymond
Just my opinion Ray, but yer a bit late putting it out, you should have it out in the spring so the deer will hit it all summer during the hot months.

I find the deer in my area hit my blocks more when I bury the blocks three quarters of the way in the ground, they seem to like to paw at the ground to get at the block.

I also add some Rack Stacker minerals all over and around my block using water to make a slurry of minerals. It's unfortunate that many stores like Crappy tire only put out the salt and minerals in the fall when they should be put out in the spring. I emailed Rack Stacker about this but never received a reply.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Raymond wrote:Hey Neil,
What is your creation if you don't mind sharing the info?
Raymond

I will get the recipe for ya Raymond, it keeps animals in the area. Bucks hit it for antler growth, nursing does hit it too with their fawns. It's active all summer, but gets hit less during hunting season. It just gives them a reason to hang around and set up shop.

Sweetlix is nice cause its a mineral that tastes like a food source(apple)
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I use Di-Calsium Phosphate and red and white bag salt in the spring and all summer the deer will still come to the salt lick even during the winter if you keep it fresh. I have to drive 20 miles to get the Di- Cal. The deer just love it.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads